How Long Can A Black Fish Keep Their Color?

nickie73

I have a black demekin (Hammy). I am not sure how old she is, but I have had her since August and when I got her, she was very small, maybe 2". I could hold her in my hand and you could not see her in there when I closed my hand.

Anyway, she has grown a lot, she is maybe 3 and a half inches-4 inches and very fat. As of right now, she is still a deep velvet black color. The only place where she has any gold coloring is a little on her stomach, but you can't see it unless she swims upward; in other words, it can't be seen from the sides at all.

Can anyone GUESS her age for me? Also, at about what age do they start losing their black coloring and turning more goldish? I do realize that with the right temps, etc, a black fish can stay black, but I am not learned on that subject.

i dont really know the answer, but i do know that if you keep Hammy in sunlight, the black will stay on longer. When i first bought Laces, he was a bronzey color with grey spots, after a couple of months in sunlight, he's a happy fish with red and black.

before

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/lo...sh/100_2451.jpg

2 months later in sunlight

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/lo...yofDSC08643.jpg

yesterday(he developed a bit more red cause i fed them color enhancers :D )

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/lo...sh/DSC00103.jpg

Wow An, what beautiful pictures! Lovely fish!

What kind of camera are you using and what kind of setting to get that clarity and non-fuzziness from them moving around? I have a nice digital camera that supposedly is one of the clearest on the market, but the camera is only as good as the person taking the picture, lol! I could use some picture advice to get some pics of the fish when they are moving.

I guess they aren't the same kind of fish, are they? I mean, I thought Hammy was a moor until I saw BlackJack and his hump that he has. Hammy has the exact same body shape as him.

Demekin is what they call them in Japan for the fish that is called Moors in the US.

I'm here :hi

And that's right. I was really confused by this too. In the west I think a demekin has a thicker body and a moor is a longer black telescope that has a body more (haha) like a slimmer leaner fish. Daryl said the original moore was very closely related to the first regular shaped goldfish. Maybe d_golem can explain better.

In Japan (and maybe other parts of Asia) as JofH says, a demekin is just what all telescope eye fish are called. Black is a kurodemekin. Shortail or long. As far as I know. Here's my 7 inch demekin P1020909.jpg She has kept her black but she loses her belly black often. It has been bright yellow and orange and bronzy. Its always changing! I think diet plays a big part as RYUU said, as well as the light thing.

I'm here :hi

And that's right. I was really confused by this too. In the west I think a demekin has a thicker body and a moor is a longer black telescope that has a body more (haha) like a slimmer leaner fish. Daryl said the original moore was very closely related to the first regular shaped goldfish. Maybe d_golem can explain better.

In Japan (and maybe other parts of Asia) as JofH says, a demekin is just what all telescope eye fish are called. Black is a kurodemekin. Shortail or long. As far as I know. Here's my 7 inch demekin P1020909.jpg She has kept her black but she loses her belly black often. It has been bright yellow and orange and bronzy. Its always changing! I think diet plays a big part as RYUU said, as well as the light thing.

Thanks Trinket for clearing that up. :)

It's interesting that a slangy general Japanese term became a more specific name for a more specific fish in the US. :D

I still like the name demekin better than moor... :D

hehehe, well I have yet to see a pic of your demekin Nickie. Mine is an ugly faced mugger- with a short tail. But I love her plenty :heart Does your Hammy have a short tail?

LOL! Yep! A short, butterfly tail. She is ugly, too. :rofl I can't even see her eyes at all as I guess they are black, like the rest of her. All I can see are two "balls" on her head where her eyes are supposed to be. However, I love Hammy as she was my first fish and she is a character!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boggle2

ive got a black moor and he had lost almost all his black! have had him for 3 years,so if i put him into sunlight,would the black come back?

ive got a black moor and he had lost almost all his black! have had him for 3 years,so if i put him into sunlight,would the black come back?

supposedly strong lighting and or sunlight and correct diet play a big part not all fish that lose their black can turn black again ;)

Archived