Sick Goldie- I Fear I Made It Worse :(

Guest orion_hallie

Guest orion_hallie

I woke up this morning to one of my goldfish laying in the substrate. I couldn't get him to stir until I poked him with a net. Then he swam around a bit but soon returned to laying in the substrate. I decided to move him to a separate hospital tank, away from my other two goldies.

I put him in a 2G- small, I know, but it was all I had- this is currently a very small goldfish- about 1/2 inch long. I stuck a Whisper 10i filter in the tank with him (this was a spare on the cycled tank that he was in).

I came home today to a flooded counter and the sick goldfish stuck between the tank wall and the motor of the filter. I got him unstuck, and put the filter back in. His swimming was very awkward- I don't know what kind of damage the filter incident may have done. Within about 15 mins he was sucked onto the bottom of the filter. frown.gif I think he is has gotten too weak to fight the current. I turned the filter down to its lowest setting- he's been okay for a couple of hours now. Well okay as in not stuck to the filter again- but he's just laying quietly on the tank floor. BTW, I have no idea what caused the flooding- the tank doesn't seem to be leaking, could the fish getting stuck have caused this?

In any event- what can I do to help him? I have a good first aid kit- but I don't know where to begin. His water is pristine at the moment and about 70F.

I caught him laying quietly for the first time yesterday, but he snapped right out of it when I fed him. The other two goldfish seem just fine.

While I was out today, I bought a 5.5G for a more permanent hospital/QT set-up, but I don't know if I should move him again so soon.

Hello there and a big welcome to kokos!

I am so sorry to hear about your fish. the filter will have sucked him in because he is in a very weak state and cannot sustain his balance. With one fish in a QT, and especially is so tiny a space, the filter is not a good idea. A bubbler and daily 80% water changes would work better.

Do you have any larger container like a rubbermaid for him ?

Meanwhile your water params and as many questions as you can manage from the white box above please so we can get an all round pic of your set up and fish history and give the best advice of whats going on.

Guest orion_hallie

He didn't make it. I think he may have been alive when I got up this morning- I swear his gills were moving rapidly when I checked him. I took my dog out to go potty and by the time I got back in, the goldie was gone.

I am going to doublecheck water parameters in the QT and in his original tank and post everything I find here.

At this point, I'm concerned with what to do with the two surviving goldfish, the filter media, and my other fish.

Should I continue to post here, or should I post in a different forum?

If the other fish are sick yes do post here! We can sort through this and help the other fish.

It may be the water was off...lets see with the water params.

Guest orion_hallie

So far, my other two goldies, Orion and Hallie, are ok. They are both small fantails- the one I lost was Sirius, small black moor. The 3 of them were living temporarily in a cycled 10G tank while I was doing a fishless cycle on a 28G. Sirius was barely an inch long (and was even smaller when I got him), the other two are about 1.5 inches (not including their tails).

The parameters on the 10G were: 0 NH3, 0 NO2 and 7.5 NO3, pH was 7.8. The 10G tank had been up since late October and gets 25%water changes weekly- NO3 has been kept below 10 ppm. pH out of the tap is about 7.2 due to dissolved gases- pH increases to about 8.0 when water is allowed to sit for a few hours. It had a Whisper 10i filter and a Penguin 150 biowheel running on it.

I've used Amquel+ for all water changes. There were no unusual marks at all on the black moor when he passed. He just got less and less active.

I had the two fantails since late October. I added the black moor about 2 weeks before he died (knowing that my 28G was close to about a week away from being cycled). The 28G was ready, and I was planning to move the goldies, but I held off because I noticed that Sirius was sick. I used the 10i from the 10G as the filter on the 2G tank I moved him to for QT.

My main concerns are the health of my other fish. I used media from the 10G to start a 5G hex and two 2.5G minibows which each house one betta. I was also concerned about putting the exposed goldies in the newly cycled and disease-free 28G.

I ended up moving the goldies to the 28G bowfront. I intended to use 2 Penguin 150s on it- the one that I cycled the 28G with plus the one from the 10G. For now, I am using only the one from the 10G. I moved the disease-free Penguin 150 to a new 20G temporarily so that I can be sure to keep one disease-free cycled tank. The 20G is now housing 4 female bettas (which have been in QT for over a month). I have another filter for the 20G- I will swap it out for the Penguin 150 in about two weeks once I have some media "seasoned" for it.

This leaves the 28G with only 5x filtration in the interim, but I'm not sure what else to do.

I have sanitized the Whisper 10i and the 10G tank. Should I put the 10i in the 28G as temporary additional filtration, or should I just leave things alone for a couple of weeks until I swap out the filter in the 20G?

Also, any ideas as to what may have killed Sirius?

Thanks so much! I would have posted sooner, but I was busy making all the changes I described above!

• 2 weeks later...

Orion, how are your two remaining fish doing now?

As to what might have killed your Sirius, it is kind of hard to tell. Since you only had him 2 weeks, chances are very high, that he already brought something with him from the store, and he was stressed already. That combined with a new environment, it might just have been too much, and whatever he had in the first place, just took over.

The fish that you have now, did they show any symptoms at all, or are they okay. If so, I would just put the originally intended filtration back onto the 28 gl, since 5x filtration isn't strong enough. The goldies need the adequate filtration more than the bettas - bettas are squeeky clean compared to goldies. :D

Archived