Question About Filters And Airstone.

Shamu23

I've always been wondering about this, but is it bad if u put an airstone under the filter and it always sucks up bubbles. One of mine went under the filter somehow and it kept sucking up bubbles, sure is noisy, is it bad for the filter? I also like bubblebars that go all the way across the back of the tank but if its bad for the filters then that wouldnt work.

yes it is bad for the impeller and the motor not man filters are designed to have a constant flow of bubbles running into them, it can cause loss of which can cause your motor to blow up

Your motor will not blow up. It just will be noisy.

Since your filter intake is across the back of the tank and you want the bubble bar across the back, too, what about lowering the filter intake to nearly the bottom of the tank (most ofmine are at the bottom) and scrooching the bubble bar up behind the filter intake tube such that it is just above the actual intake grate? That way no bubbles will be sucked up.

If this is not possible, I have also taken a bit of silicon sealant and sealed a small section of bubble wand just under the filter intake so that part does not bubble. In some, placing a larger, flat rock over that portion of the bubble wand will send the bubbles up and around the rock and not into the filter. Placing a plastic plant there can also have the same effect. So much depends on how your particular filter intake is set and what type of bubble feature you have.

well by blow up i mean burn out there that sounds better he told me many of his filters and he has known many other people whos motor has burnt out from misuse of their bubble bar by placing it under the intake

well by blow up i mean burn out there that sounds better he told me many of his filters and he has known many other people whos motor has burnt out from misuse of their bubble bar by placing it under the intake

Oh Ok. I thought you literally meant blow up like a gasoline engine. :D

They will burn out if they overheat. If very few bubbles are making it into the filter this will cause no problems. As long as the filter keeps getting enough water to keep cool, it will not be an issue. It may slightly reduce the flowrate, but can also keep the water more oxygenated. As those bubbles hit the impeller they are 'smashed' into even smaller bubbles, keeping oxygen levels a little higher. In a HOB where this happens before the water gets to the biological media this can actually be a good thing since the water will have a little more oxygen for the nitrifying bacteria.

Archived