Angel Fish Companions

Guest Mfish

Hey all, long time no see.

I have a 33g cube tank that is fully established and cycled (almost 1 y/o) with four angels, one large and three small. In total I would estimate that there is about 14 in. of fish in there, so plenty of room for more!

I want to know what companions I can get. The big angel is pretty aggressive, but the tank is well planted with lots of hiding spots. I was thinking about gouramis, and cories. I also need a fish to clean the algae off the side of the tank, preferably not a common pleco because I don't want a monster fish on my hands.

Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers!

Corys I would consider but be wary of putting gouramis and other gentle fish in. I had Angel Fish once and they attacked and ate most fish in the tank except my catfish. This was a 40 gallon set up as well. According to info on this site I have added link for you require 15 gallons minimum for a pair of angel fish. So going by that rule your tank is fully stocked.

Hope this link helps you :)

http://fins.actwin.com/species/angelfish.html

Actually your tank is overstocked, 10g per angelfish minimum. Plus when they start to pair off your going to have wounded angelfish as the breeding pair will beat up the other angels when they spawn.

The inch per gallon rule is useless, it doesn't work for anything no one in their right mind would keep a 15 inch oscar in a 15g tank.

I'd say upgrade to a larger tank, 40-55g and hope to god the angels don't pair up, if they do you'll need to get a new tank for the two left over angels.

I wouldn't add anything to the tank you have now, but if you cut down to just 2 angels, you could add something like cories, or a bristlenose. You need to sort the angels out first though.

If you do redo the tank, and cut down on the angels, and decide to add more fish, you ahve to be extremely careful. The best way is to put the angels in a bucket for an hour or so, and redecorate the tank, move everything, don't leave anything in the same spot, add the new fish, let them settles and then add the angels back in. It "might" work, my angel is really aggressive and won't take any new fish, he attacks everything that was added. He gets on fine with the serpae tetras, black widow tetras, kuhlis and bristlenose that were in there before him though.

• 2 weeks later...

Your 4 angel fish are find in the 33 gallon tank for now but they will out grow it and you will have problems if they pair off. A 55 gallon tank would be good for your 4 angels. It's big enough that if they do pair off and start laying eggs you won't have a problem. I had 4 angels in my 55 gallon tank for a while. While one pair laid eggs on one end of the aquarium the other two stayed on the other half of the aquarium. Thet weren't chased unless they got too close to the eggs and were only chased back to their half of the aquarium. This will only work if you remove the eggs after their laid and hatch them in another container.

Archived