Substrate For Goldfish

CometSue

I've seen alot of posts about gravel.And most peoples answer was river rocks.I only see one problem with that.Alot of "river rocks" from home improvment stores arent actually river rocks,most are granite,some are slate ect..I was also told that "volcanic rock" was a good solution.I have one issue with that too.Has anyone tested to see whether or not they are producing ash.These are things i've always worried about.And since i dont have alot of free time on my hands,I haven't had a chance to personally test these issues.Ever since i can remember i've been using flat glass "marbles".The same kind you see pet stores use for little betta enclosures.They come in a large varity of colors and shapes,and they have no chance of adding anything "extra" to your water quality.There not sharp and cant be sucked into the mouth.But i havent seen alot of other people using them.Is there something everyone else knows that i dont?Or is it a price issue?

I have been able to get river stones from fish stores. There is a test you can do on them to make sure they are safe, with vinegar. Someone who has done this may be able to answer further.

I know a few people who use those marble stones. as you say they come in a variety of colours. I might have to look into finding some big ones, brighten up the tank!

I used to have marbles in my tank... round ones... My fish, in their attempt to dig for scraps of food, would be rolling them around until the marbles hit a tank wall. What in the world was I thinking?? Flat marbles, much better.

Edited by comet182

The river rocks I get a hard smooth pebbles, theres no way they could leach anything, they basically the same as chunks of glass.

My goldy tank is really boring, it doesn't have any decorations at all LOL, no gravel or anything, it's easy peasy to clean though, and the fish don't seem to mind.

nessie3.jpg

I like this natural gravel, I think it's some kind of quartz. And I like to decorate it with pretty agates cause they are quartz too and that is safe for aquariums. As you can see I also have some green glass rocks in there--they are very pretty.

I dont know.The little flat glass marbles just do it for me.There beautiful,colorful,and dont leech anything into the water.And there perfectly smooth so it just seemed like the best option.I like the way it adds so much color to the tank.Round marbles huh?That almost sounds fun,I guess that could be an interesting way to stimulate there little minds huh?lol.Those green stones are pretty they look like new jade :) .I have a huge smooth budda sculpture of jade that my father in law gave me in my goldfish tank to cover the roots of my hornwort.(i couldnt think of anything else to do with it,and he seemed happy with the placement lol)

I only use sand (Estes' Marine Sand) and it works very well. Other larger substrates trap debris which can cause water quality issues. Sand keep severything on top so the filters can grab it. They like to sift through it looking for food, so it gives them something to do.

I am starting up a new tank for my guys (bigger and better :) , and I would love to put the flat colored marbles that you are talking about! My new tanks a 35 gallon and whenever I go to the stores I only see small packages of the flat marbles, does anyone know of a good place to get them in bulk?

I am starting up a new tank for my guys (bigger and better :) , and I would love to put the flat colored marbles that you are talking about! My new tanks a 35 gallon and whenever I go to the stores I only see small packages of the flat marbles, does anyone know of a good place to get them in bulk?

I dont know where your located but if your in the u.s. Places like hobby lobby,and micheals(sp) oh and Wally world carry them in bulk and cheaper.It's the same product,it just costs less,and theres alot more of it You can find it in the craft isle where silk flowers ect. are located.lol.Besides that any craft store carrys large bags of it.Just make sure you rinse them really well as you would any gravel.I use these because my comets have very large mouths and i used to have some less intelligent comets that were too stupid to spit the river rocks out.It's just a peace of mind thing with me,Theres no way theyre getting that in there mouths LOL.Plus it's just colorful and shiny(What can i say i'm just a very colorful personality)

Edited by SuzzyQ

Definatly go to the craft sections. Wally world was selling tiny bags of riverstone in their pet section last month which were the same price as packs in their craft section which were three times as big!!

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

craft sections of stores are good for finding the river rocks and the colored glass stones, as well as dollar stores! i bought a ton of rocks from dollar stores...so much cheaper than even the craft dept of wal**mart.

WOW, thanks everyone. I don't know why, but I never thought about craft stores. :rolleyes: I'm definetly going to check them out because my guys get the rocks stuck in their mouths now and I hate it! Even though they always spit them out after a couple of minutes I always get scared that they are going to choke! :(

WOW, thanks everyone. I don't know why, but I never thought about craft stores. :rolleyes: I'm definetly going to check them out because my guys get the rocks stuck in their mouths now and I hate it! Even though they always spit them out after a couple of minutes I always get scared that they are going to choke! :(

yeah, there have been a few members here whose fish have had rocks stuck in their mouth :(

Ok, so I got the flat marbles last night, at a craft store (by the way thanks again everyone for the suggestion!). I was wondering though...a family friend of ours told me that you need at least an inch or two of gravel, rocks or in my case the marbles in a fish tank in order for the "good bacteria" to develop??? :unsure: I'm not sure if this is right or not, because I've seen a lot of people on here with bare bottom tanks. I was just wondering if there is a minimum amount you need for the bottom of the tank???

Sorry for all the questions everyone, I just want to make sure I set this tank up right for my little guys:) But I am really excited to get those flat marbles in, they look awesome!!

Ok, so I got the flat marbles last night, at a craft store (by the way thanks again everyone for the suggestion!). I was wondering though...a family friend of ours told me that you need at least an inch or two of gravel, rocks or in my case the marbles in a fish tank in order for the "good bacteria" to develop??? :unsure: I'm not sure if this is right or not, because I've seen a lot of people on here with bare bottom tanks. I was just wondering if there is a minimum amount you need for the bottom of the tank???

Sorry for all the questions everyone, I just want to make sure I set this tank up right for my little guys:) But I am really excited to get those flat marbles in, they look awesome!!

Nah.Anymore than one layer of gravel(stones) Can actually produce bad bacteria by trapping all that waste in the bottom layer,And with alot of gravel(or any substrate)It becomes increasingly difficult to make sure you got all the waste product with a vacume.Good bacteria will develope in the first layer(or only layer lol),but to be honest you really dont need to worry about any of that if you have a good biological filter.I have them scatterd on the bottom of the tanks.I used stress zyme when i bought my newer filter just to be safe,but then again i'm a bit of a worry-wort.lol.Good luck with your new tank,I'm sure it will look beautiful.

Edited by SuzzyQ

It takes a very deep sunstrate to allow anoxic bacteria to develop. Two inches of gravel won't do it unless you never clean it for a long time. In saltwater tanks you can setup a plenum, three to four inches of sand on a screen over an open water area and this only creates an anaerobic area (for good denitrifying bacgeria), it is not even anoxic.

But a deeper marble bed will be much harder to keep clean I tried it in a ten gallon so the baby platies had somewhere to hide. It got dirty very quick. I would not suggest it.

:bingo: Yes thats true fish guy.However we were talking about a new tank for goldies without a cycled filter.lol.And with filthy adorable golds harmful bacteria can build up rather quickly.With goldfish it's best to stay on the safe side and not give bad bacteria anywhere else to florish lol.No problem Deanna please take some pictures for us all when you get a chance.I cant wait to see! :)

I have never seen or even heard of this kind of a problem. I had a few pond goldfish and a bunch of water turtles (including a snapper) (and no, they didn't eat the goldfish) in a 40breeder with a thick layer of gravel and never had any issues. It takes more than that to get an anoxic environment going.

I have never seen or even heard of this kind of a problem. I had a few pond goldfish and a bunch of water turtles (including a snapper) (and no, they didn't eat the goldfish) in a 40breeder with a thick layer of gravel and never had any issues. It takes more than that to get an anoxic environment going.

Alot of people have this issue.Apparently even you"But a deeper marble bed will be much harder to keep clean I tried it in a ten gallon so the baby platies had somewhere to hide. It got dirty very quick. I would not suggest it."lol. What do you mean by anoxic?It just caught my eye.Do you mean a toxic enviorment?I didnt think a huge amount of gravel thats hard to clean trapping fish poo in deep layers thus creating a harmful enviorment was something to argue with. :blink: I was just answering a question deanna had..... :unsure: