Blind Fish And Avoiding Objects

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

My Calico Oranda Astrid (a rescue) has no eyes. She is battling Ich, and having no sight. She's feeling a little better this afternoon and I see her swimming around the perimeter of her 10 gallon bucket. I watched her when she first started and her nose/mouth would always be touching the side (like she was using it as a guide) and then she bumped into the tank heater... She stopped. Backed up for a second as if trying to figure out what just stopped her game dead in it's tracks and she ventured forward a little, and around it. She stopped again as if wondering where the smooth plastic side of the bucket had gone off to and continued to swim forward until she found it again and then continued happily on her way going around in circles. After a few minutes of that she started 'guessing' where the heater was and began to swim around it (or attempt) without bumping into it first. I know there potentially a lot of factors that could be making her do this but is it possible she remembers where it is? Or is it more likely she can smell it? I know goldfish communicate with vibrations and I would imagine she's talking. How exactly do goldfish give off these vibrations, and do they bounce around like a bat's radar? Or do they get absorbed into their surrondings? In other words, could she be sending out vibrations and when they reflect back to her she knows there is something in her path so she swims around it? Thanks for any knowledge on this. I've always been curious about goldfish speak!

Hmmm i don't know too much about how goldfish "speak" but i do think she is remembering where the heater is.

i would definately like to know more about those vibrations and stuff! very interesting!!

If memory serves me correct, goldfish do their *smelling* and vibration feeling through the lateral line that runs along side their body. (see pic, yes it is bruce) So yes a little like radar, mostly just receiving though. Your observation about your fishy memorizing a path is correct. Goldfish do have a memory longer than 3 seconds. One thing to consider once Astrid is placed back in a regular tank is to not move the decorations. This will allow your fish to adjust to a very good comfort level knowing where everything is.

How's the ich treatment going? If you need any suggestions, feel free to ask. :)

post-30-1198296105.jpg

Guest Halloween

She's very lethargic. I don't know how long she's been battling the Ich in the store. Although she has it in her Wen, and I can see Ich spots in her eye sockets, and on the areas that are healed over (I still can't tell if that one eye is in there and just scared over) She's eating EXTREMELY well though. Her breathing seems labored so I was tossing around the idea of treating her with fluke tabs.... The store I got her from is notorious for having fish with flukes. I just don't know if it's safe to mix medicines. I have salt in there, and Maracyn 2. I don't want to over medicate the water you know. I'd have equal parts water and equal parts medicine!!!! She is acting the same way a Koi did before it died... And I concluded that it had flukes because I lost 3 other fish too. She eats but other than that she rests at the bottom with her fins clamped. She was active only this morning, swimming around in circles in the bucket.

Guest Halloween

As it turns out, Astrid DOES have one eye. It may even function! I don't know know to what extent if at all, she doesn't respond to movement infront of the eye but that may be because of her Ich and feeling under the weather. My hope is that she can see, she's just using all her energy to fight the Ich off. I can tell it's really taken a toll on her. Say a wish for her please! I've never felt so attached to a rescue before. Heck, I feel more attached to her than I did with some of my non rescues, you know, goldies I chose as pets... I just hope she pulls through this!!!!! I wish I could sleep down here next to her bucket.

Plus, I saw her swimming on her own again like she was doing this morning.

Archived