How To Do A Scrape?

Shamu23

I was told to do it with a qtip but we tried it with my friends goldfish cause she has this little cheapo mini microscope, and we had a hard time getting anything onto the slide with the qtip, cant u use the slide to do the scrape carefully?

I just use the (plastic) cover slip. Its so easy. Use a corner and just scrape very lightly. Gills, belly, sore place. Place it on the glass slide with a tiny drop of water is best.

Guest Halloween

I just did my first scrape today!! All I did was scoop the fish (I didn't even take her completely out of the water) and I used a cover slip (mine are plastic) and gently scraped by her tail, in the same direction her scales were growing. You know you got something when you can see slime or a cloudy looking goo on the cover slip. Then use a drop of tank water off your finger onto the slide and place the cover slip slime side down on it and your ready to be grossed out!!! (I was anyway when I saw Flukes)!!! I thought my microscope was just a toy! Turns out it actually helped me!

Haha- Congrats Hallowen.Interesting isn't it! Flukes are actually one of the easiest parasites to see. You can see them at 40 power (kids type microscope) They are one of the larger, longer ones.The gill flukes will have eyes, you may find you have both in an infestaton. How many did you see?

For other parasites, hexamita for example you need a power field of 400x magnifiaction.

on my friends fish we saw one weird thing that looked like some kind of brown creature but it wasnt moving so I dunno if it was anything alive and there was these tiny black dots going back and forth they were really tiny under 40x zoom, what could that b?

Archived