55g Stocking & Max Fantail Size

hle_81

Fantails are fancy GF and they need at LEAST 10g a piece. Comets and commons need 20g a piece. I prefer to give my fancy GF 15g each, though. I am not sure exactly how big fantails can get, but mine is already at about 4 and a half inches.

Ive learned over the yrs goldies will grow way bigger than whats to be expected..Fantail generally grow between 5-8 inches..Ive seen bigger.. Good water..food a plenty of room can yeild a pretty big fish..

yes they can get that big, and yes ur overstocked. I've seen an adult one and it was HUGE. SOme people give them 30 gallons for one fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish cause they get extremely big

This is one of my almost-ryukins more of a fantail, and he's probably less than 18 months old in this photo, so yea, they can get pretty big. He wouldn't do well in a 55 with more than 1 or 2 other fish.

1465181044_e70c05307c.jpg

His brother is a fair bit smaller, but still not a tiny fish - he is a 55 with 3 other fish, one of whom is a very stunted rescue.

That's about as high as I can stock them without the water quality being unmanageable.

this here is Zap, he's not very big yet, but bigger than any of my tropicals for sure!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Sha...23/IMG_1441.jpg

:stop thats no fantail!.. :rofl you cheated..lol.. Fantails can indeed grow huge.. Zap is soooo cute..can I borrow him Shamu?? :yeah:

no, he's an oranda, but they grow to the same size pretty much. I would let u borrow him but Im currently using him LOL ;) . He sure is cute though, already eats from my hand! Well he tried anyway but never found the food in my hand so I dropped it so he could find it.

I have a 11-12" black moore

I had 6 in my 55 to start with, and I've spent ages taking it down to 3, and someone else will probably move to the pond as well taking it to 2, the water changes I was doing to keep nitrates at bay were just insane.

I have a 11-12" black moore

I had 6 in my 55 to start with, and I've spent ages taking it down to 3, and someone else will probably move to the pond as well taking it to 2, the water changes I was doing to keep nitrates at bay were just insane.

Aint that the truth. I can't wait to get my 125 going, so I can move my crew of 5 into it, out of the 55. I don't believe my 55 would work optimally with goldies unless there were a max of 2 -3....although my preference is two, because 55's are long and skinny, and don't seem to do well when packed with fish.

Archived