Can We Say "strange?

jamisskat

:blink: My mind is going wacko right now.. Im stumped!..Ok Jasmine has always seemed to have this weird way of sleeping or resting at night..she floats at the top and just rides the current.. For the past 2 nights I woke up to find her sleeping on are you ready?...The filter intake!...I can garantee shes fine health wise since this odd behavior occurs only at night...As soon a the lights come on or Im seen by her she leaves the intake tube... during the day she dont do this.. right now at this very moment shes enjoying her gel food and picking at the bottom... Strange huh? :blink:

edit.. I wanted to note she's not being hurt by the tube but it just concerns me...maybe I an put a sponge like material over it?..oh never mind heck no!..I dont trust sponges...What can i do?

The filter she rest on is tiny..I have several small filters between the big ones to hold bio media.. the filter is a 15g filter.. there are 2 of them plus the big filters.. Jasmine has not acted and differant nor her eating habits changed for the worst.. shes the same ol' Jasmine from when I bought her..

hmmm... wow i would definately call that strange!!!

but i suppose if it's not hurting her, then it shouldnt be too bad.

maybe instead of sponge you can put some type of screen around the intake? kinda like what they use for screen doors and stuff.

hmmm... wow i would definately call that strange!!!

but i suppose if it's not hurting her, then it shouldnt be too bad.

maybe instead of sponge you can put some type of screen around the intake? kinda like what they use for screen doors and stuff.

That sounds like a plan..I imagine the screen would be safe for the water?..I think whats happening is she's drifting around and gets caught on it at night when she sleeps.. Scared the flipping crap out of me when I seen her the first night.. but her normal activity during the daytime suggest she's healthy..I meen at night when she sees me she swims off the tube like nothing ever happend..Or when the lights come on :hmm

I would be careful though, Intakes can be strong to goldfish. Something covering it would make it safer, is the intake in the corner? do you have any plants in your tank? i used to use them before i built my intake cover.

hmm i imagine the sceen would be okay (as long as you make sure its really clean!) because its normally just some type of plastic. you could test it to make sure though!!

I have this phobia of putting objects in their tanks after losing several fish over night... it took me awhile to clean the tank with the vacume.. but I was scared and will always be cautious of whats put in there.. pantyhose would work..Ive used that with fry.. i'll just leave the bottom out so the yuks can go up through it..

yer pantyhose would be good. But it might not stop her resting directly on the intake tube. you could observe her and see when she goes on the tube? i have observed mine at night, switched off all the lights and just used a blue light torch.

yer pantyhose would be good. But it might not stop her resting directly on the intake tube. you could observe her and see when she goes on the tube? i have observed mine at night, switched off all the lights and just used a blue light torch.

so far its in the dawn hrs around 4am.. she never does this during the day.. and I really dont want to take out the filter since the bio sponge is full of bacteria.. It's nice and brown

hmm maybe you can use one of those little plastic things that some live plants come in... i dont know what to call them!!

uhhh....

P1010077.jpg

one of those thingies!! (sorry the pic is so big)

maybe put something like that over the intake and then put the pantyhose over it (i dont know how you would get it to stay.... aquarium silicone?) because then there wouldn't be as much pull towards the filter and your fish might not get stuck

hmm maybe you can use one of those little plastic things that some live plants come in... i dont know what to call them!!

uhhh....

P1010077.jpg

one of those thingies!! (sorry the pic is so big)

maybe put something like that over the intake and then put the pantyhose over it (i dont know how you would get it to stay.... aquarium silicone?) because then there wouldn't be as much pull towards the filter and your fish might not get stuck

hmm I like that idea!..Im going to call my LFS and see what they have as far as protective covers..

Archived