Anyone Breed Pearscales?

Faust

Yeah so I picked up another pearscale (I promised I wasn't going to buy any more fish but dang!) and um....... Each time I get one from nnnn, they always end up not living more than a week. But all other fish last. So I was just wondering if anyone here breeds pearscales, just in case it doesn't work out with this lil guy that I can maybe purchase off of you. I want a small one that doesn't grow a crown, because I think the crowns look nasty.

Thanks

Pearlscales are pretty far down the scale of "mutations" - and quite difficult to breed well. I know of no one in the States that is breeding them. Right now, Pearlscales are undergoing a "change" as are most breeds. The Pearlscale is being bred to the even more extreme - scale type as well as body type. It is thought that the scale is linked to the body type - so it follows that if the scales are taken to the extremes, the body will follow.

That said, the pearled scale on a Pearlscale fish appears to be fairly dominant - in a partially expresses fashion. So much depends on the gentic makeup of the Moor and the Pearlscale, but in very general terms, a cross between a regular scaled fish and a pearlscaled fish will yield some fry that will show some pearl scales. These may be spotty - only slightly raised - and only partially expressed on only some scales.

The round body of the Pearlscale seems to be linked to the pearls - but that has not been definatively proven. If this is true, the more scales that are presented as "pearled" the fatter, rounder and more globular the body will appear. This link has had a fair amount of speculative papers written about it.

The eye is a different story. It is believed that the eye traits - globular or normal - are fairly straight forward Mendalian genetics - with the normal being dominant and the globe being recessive. If both of the parent fish are not carrying any other modifiers and some other "attachments" to the eye combination, the cross should yield all "normal" eyed fish. Since the Moor can only give the recessive gene for the globe eye - all the fry should have at least one gene for the globe eye. If your pearlscale carried any unexpressed recessive genes, you could potentially have fry that have a globe eye.

Some globe eyes are expressed differently. This is from partially expressed genes, attachements and incomplete expression. It is possible to have two eyes that are not equal - one globe, one normal - as well as eyes that could be described to be all along the scale of large ponderous globes to slightly enlarged.

Some feel that you will also should be able to tell the difference between the fry that carries nothing but the dominant genes for a normal eye (you will not have any) and the cross - the oneglobe/one normal combo. The combo has been observed to be expressed in slightly larger eyes and eye sockets in many fry.

If I had to guess, you will see fry that have some pearl scales expressed - but not particularly highly raised. You will see a "fat" or "fatter" body type fish with slightly larger eyes.

That is assuming that your pearlscale is the "Best of the Best" genetically, as is the Moor. Other genetic inclusions will change matters dramatically.

http://goldfishconnection.com

Check out Ken's weekly auctions there. You will ONLY get healthy fish from him. Most if not all are from Jackie Chan in China.

What? Jackie Chan? As in "Who Killed My Uncle?!" "You kill my uncle?!" Jackie Chan? Are you serious?! I think I heard something like that before.

Daryl, thanks. I guess time will tell on the pearscale. So there isn't any American breeder for pearlscale? That's strange.

The owner of a fish store around here used to breed pearlscales, but he recently passed away.

Golfball was one of his fry.

See! I like Golfball. I love those golfball looking fish. For some reason the ones with the crowns just freak me out. I guess I am not ready for those yet. I would have to get an oranda before a crown pearl. I dunno, I guess I can see how this crowntail turns out. I guess if it dies, I can try with another or something. They usually die the fastest though. I noticed they took out the petstore that I mentioned where I got it from. I guess I can't say that in regards to dying fish. Just know it is a chain.