Cycle Crash?

Fishy Fish

Hi

I have a ten gallon tank that I had been treating with Maracyn 2. With things being hectic, I didn't get a chance to test the tank while using the medicine. I last tested on Dec 14, and the readings were Ammonia/Nitrite 0, and Nitrate had a trace. I change the water every other day, so it stays low..

Today - after using the medicine and not changing the water since Dec 15th, my readings were A/N/N all 0. pH 7.8 both times (almost all the time).

Does the Maracyn 2 keep the nitrates down? I tested it twice, because I thought I surely added the wrong number of drops the first time. Same results both times.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance :)

Debbie

Hey FishyF.

The thing is, that antibiotic meds can affect the cycle as they kill bacteria and don't in general differentiate between BB's and bad B's. So it's best to test daily whilst treating, to ensure your params don't suddenly spike.

Thank you Pixie :)

I ended up having to clean the filter all out anyway. When I did a wc after finishing the treatment, there was a layer of gunk on the glass, air hoses, and all in the filter. I cleaned it in a bucket of tank water, but I'm sure I took the bb's out of it. I tested the water again today - and all was still 0. I do wc's every other day - but I'll test daily to be safe.

I think the last time my cycle crashed it took about a week for it to cycle again. I checked my notes, but I wasn't as good a note keeper back then as I am now. :rolleyes:

Thank you again

Debbie

Ammonia and nitrite were still zero today, and I'll be doing a water change again later on. There are quite a few droppings in there that need to come out.

It's good to see you again, Pixie. I haven't seen you on in a while. :) (Maybe you have been - but I'm not always the most observant one :rolleyes: )

Debbie

Archived