Dry Skin And Static Cling!

nickie73

I have the most sensitive skin! I can't hardly wear make-up at all because most kinds break me out. Now that it is Winter, my hands are so dry that they are cracking open and bleeding. I was wondering if any of you know of a good lotion to use? I usually put lotion on my hands at night before I go to bed, as I have them in water most of the day, cleaning the fish tank, washing dishes, etc. However, all the lotions I have tried are not working.

Also, has anyone got a good remedy for static cling? Everytime I dry my clothes in the dryer, they are full of static! I use dryer sheets, but the static is still so bad! :tantrum Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!!

I was wondering if any of you know of a good lotion to use?

Vaseline Intensive Rescue Moisture Locking Lotion. This stuff is pretty amazing that your hands will just "drink" it up.

I have dry hands too in he winter and this is by far the best stuff I have ever used.

I knew a girl once who told me the best remedy is to put gobs of lotion on your hands at night then put on a glove over it when you go to bed. I never quite tried that method but she swore by it.

Also, has anyone got a good remedy for static cling? Everytime I dry my clothes in the dryer, they are full of static! I use dryer sheets, but the static is still so bad! :tantrum Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!!

I recall years ago, my mother used to put tennis balls in the dryer sometimes. Now I see these static balls being sold everywhere. It must be the same concept. Have you tried them?

hehe i was going to say Vaseline Intensive Care: Total Moisture (Dry Skin Lotion) is nice too... along with the lotion and gloves thing, drink plenty of water too. stay hydrated. most people don't realize that just as much water is lost during winter months than in summer months. :) hope this helps!

Ok, Nickie, I am going to tell you this if you absolutely promise not to think I'm making it up or slightly wacko! :blink: Well, ok, I AM slightly wacko but I swear I'm telling you the truth and that it works. :rofl

My best friend grew up in California. She is a fair-skinned redhead and got burned many times when she was young, so she has to go to a dermatologist faithfully and have different spots removed from her skin. Last week her doctor told her she needed to switch her moisturizer because her skin was getting so dry and ashy. My friend explained to her that she had tried EVERYTHING on the market, from drug store brands all the way up to Estee and Clinique and couldn't find anything that helped consistently. Her doctor (a woman dr.) smiled and told her that she would tell her what the best moisturizer on any shelf was, but she wouldn't believe her. Now...get this...CRISCO!! :rolleyes: Not the liquid kind but the pure vegetable Crisco in a can!! After she got done laughing she told the doctor she didn't want to be greasy and smelly. The dermatologist assured her that it has no smell, and you just use a few dots after a shower or bath when your skin is warm and PUSH IT DOWN YOUR SKIN. For example, put 2 or 3 dots on your shoulder and push it all the way down your arm.

Never ones to shy away from any dry skin remedy that might actually work, we tried it. I ABSOLUTELY couldn't believe it!! I have skin that is so dry here during Indiana winters that it itches like ants are crawling on me, and my fingers and hands crack open around the fingernails. I have not itched once, even after shaving my legs which is the worst time. After just one week my skin doesn't have that ashy dry look. Now I did have to put it in another container as I didn't want to try to explain Crisco in my bathroom, lol, but I swear to you it works. Don't slather it on, just put it on by little dots and push it down. I also put a few dots in my hands and rub them together to warm it and use it that way.

I know this sounds strange and slightly unappetizing, but it really has no smell and it truly works. Its 100% natural and actually non-greasy if you do it right. Its the first thing I've tried that has truly made a difference, weird or not.

And I use liquid fabric softener and put the dryer on medium heat instead of high. No static. I also use a humidifier here in the house.

I always use St. Ives Extra Relief Collagen Elastin. But the Vasaline stuff would probably work just the same!

Crisco?????!!!

Ill have to try that one Vickielm!

As for Static, for some reason it dosen't come into my house.... *Knock on wood* So Im no help there. :D

Don't laugh at the Crisco Idea! My grandmother swore by baking pies in the winter! That was her remedy for dry hands. You make the pie crust with crisco and no more dry hands! My hands look better after baking pies too.

I swear by Sween Cream, which was recommended to me by my friend, who has lots of dry skin issues due to diabetes...

It absorbs really really well, I can type right away after I apply it :) but it forms a nice barrier against drying for a few handwashes. A little goes a long way!

http://www.sweenstore.com/sweencream.html

Ooh. Crisco.... I decorate cakes at work and when I get cake icing on my hands, it dries my skin out really bad. I might have to try that...

Sometimes when I have some time, I put cooking oil (I usually use Canola oil, but I don't think it makes a difference) in the palm of my hand. Just maybe a nickel sized puddle, and I massage it into my skin. Especially inbetween my knuckles where it's really dry, as well as my thumbs. Then I left my hands that way and let them hang off my knees to sort of set in the oil to absorb a little more. I started doing that because my hands always dry, crack and bleed because of work.. Too much hot water and soap... And I left my lotion in my locker at work that day.

I know what you mean, Anic. I open cardboard boxes all night and the chemicals in the cardboard cause my fingers to gets splits and bleed. I use a ton of Crazy Glue sealing the splits up!

Glad to see another Indiana person here. I don't say I'm a Hoosier because I'm not a native of Indiana, but I've lived here for 25 years. :rolleyes: And I hate the word Hoosier. What does that mean, lol?

I've heard lots of stupid things as to what "Hoosier" means. Like that was how we asked "who's there".... Stuff like that.

I like seeing people on here from Indiana. I don't feel so lonely lol

Hi Nickie :)

My skin is like yours. :madrant My hands are always cracking open from being dry, and all I have to do is wash my face with a different soap and I look like I have a massive sunburn.

Last year I went up North to help my sister after she had surgery. My hands were cracked, red and disgusting. I told her that I kept putting Curel's Ultra Healing - Intensive formula, but it wouldn't help. She went and got me her Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion and told me to try it. I used it about twice a day, and within two days my hands were completely healed! I couldn't believe it.

I must admit though, the Crisco thing sounds interesting. The warmth and the wetness would really help your skin soak it in. I can just imagine the strange looks that I'd get bringing Crisco into the bathroom. "I'm going to make a pie - I'll be out in a few!!" :rofl

Of course, I don't help matters much... I was grating an orange rind for some cookies earlier this week. The grater slipped, and I took a chunk out of my thumb. Pleah - I had to throw what I had grated away. Then I burned myself in the oven either taking cookies out, or swapping the shelves. But the cookies came out fabulous! :D

I hope your hands get better soon!! :hug (I have no ideas for static cling)

Debbie

Hmm.... This Crisco thing for dry skin sounds interesting. I may have to get me some into a different container and take it into the bathroom and give that a shot after my next long, relaxing, hot shower.

If you are looking for a quick fix for static, you can use hairspray. We keep a can of aqua net in the bathroom here at work and what we usually do (often it's dresses sticking to boots/legs) is spray ourselves down where the cloth is sticking, and then spray the cloth inside and out. If you don't mind smelling like a little bit of hairspray it works like a charm.

Archived