A Very Sick Rescue

Guest Halloween

Guest Halloween

I can't give any accurate water readings as I've just made the emergency tank for her. All readings will be at zero.

She has Ich, pretty badly. The other fish in the tank at the store had it the worst I'd ever seen it. She has no eyes. One has been fully taken out and the other MAY still be there but it is totally scared over. She cannot see. She has clamped fins, and rests at the bottom a lot.

Right now she is alone in a 10 gallon bucket that has been salted, and I added my tank heater. There is also an air stone. I will be starting her on antibiotic food tonight.

My concern is that she might be harboring other things I can't see. What are some common 'nasties' that come along with already sick fish?

Does it do any good to do any 'preventative medicine' like a treatment with Maracyn or something?

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halloween,

I know that Daryl, Imogen, or RYUU can let you know what types of preventative measures they take with their new fish and what all they treat them with. I sure hope your little fishie hangs in there! You are so sweet about taking in poor fish and giving them a good home!!! :heart

Have you checked your rescues poop. If its white s/he will also have a bacterial infection. How big is the fish because if the fish is under 2 inchs the salt may cause harm to the fish. Feeding medicated food is a good idea given the injuries she has suffered. I would keep your heater around 79 F as that helps speed the parasites cycle up. I always have a heater at that temp when treating sick fish.

Your doing all you can right now :)

Hope your little one makes a good recovery. Given time of year I think the name Hope would be good name for her :)

Guest Halloween

Strange enough her poop is normal colored. I'd guess she's about 2 inches with her tail, so she's small. the temp is at 76 right now, I'll be rasinging it here soon. I've never heard of salt being dangerous to small fish, is it becasue the salt would be to strong for them?

Hope is a cute name however I've been calling her Astrid.

below 2 inchs without tail theres a risk of damage to the little ones immature organs. I would keep a close eye on her as some small fish can tolerate it without problems.

Guest Halloween

My little friend is still very ill and I would still LOVE help with treating her. Currently she has a heater, medicated food, salt and since no one answered my qustion about doing some preventative medacine I added Maracyn 2. How long does it take for salt and heat alone to start making a difference in the Ich? I looked at the fish under a light this morning and she looked worse tiday than when I got her. WOuld it be better if I switched to an Ich medicine? Or should I continue with the salt and heat? Can I use Parasite Clear tabs if I'm using Maracyn 2 and salt? Is that safe? Please, help.

Guest Halloween

Sorry, I would have just edited my last post but it wouldn't let me.

I've also just discovered that she has flukes. I did a scraping near her tial and popped it under my microscope (I never thought to use it in the past because I thought it was just a toy I didn't know it really worked).

I hope I popped the parasite clear tabs in in time. I hope she can pull through this...

I would switch to an Ich medication keep the heater in at around 79 F and keep well aerated. Did you water change first to dilute the maracyn as you may end up with a reaction between the two meds dependant on ingredients.

Guest Halloween

Yes, what I did was 100% water change (matched water temp as well so I wouldn't kill her with temp differences) Plus I added the salt again. I know taking all of a medication out at once isn't good but I added what I thought was parasite clear, instead it was fungus clear (I mislabeled the little package) so I had to get the fungus clear out asap so I just moved her from her 10 gallon nucket to another 10 gallon bucket. Now all I have in her water is salt, the heater, and parasite clear. Would it be safe to add something like Coppersafe? It says on the bottle it treats Ich.The only other Ich medicine I have is Quick Cure. Would Quick Cure be best? The two ingredients are Formalin and Malachite Green. My goldfish book says Formalin kills flukes and Malachite Green kills Ich. Coppersafe only treats Ich. However, I have Parasite Clear tabs in the water, wich treat flukes. Is it safe to have two medicines in the water treating the same thing??????? I just don't know!!!!

Unless it states on the container that it can safely be combined with another medication then do not mix meds. Example of one you can mix is melafix an pimafix as it is stated on containers they may be used together. If two of the meds have similer ingredients then definately do no mix them.

Guest Halloween

Well then, what I currently have for medicine is all that I can do for her. There's salt and heat for the Ich, and Parasite Clear for the Flukes. Hope I used them all in time for her to survive.

Guest Halloween

I salted it according to my bucket of salt. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons so I have 2 tablespoons of salt in the water. Is that the concentration to kill Ich??? I was wondering about that earlier... Or is the amount to kill Ich higher??

the amount of salt to kill ich is .3%, which is 1 tablespoon per gallon(or 3 TEASPOONS per gallon ).

You have 2 tablespoons now, so you will need to add 8 more tablespoons for the 10 gallons.

When adding the salt, be sure to increase it gradually, not all at once. It is recomended to raise it by .1% every 12 hours. You will need to dissolve the salt in the tank water before you put it in. I think that there is a topic about how to treat ich with salt around here somewhere, I will see if I can find the link for it.

Guest Halloween

OMG that much more salt!!!?!?!?!!! Poor fish, the amount I have in there now probably isn't helping her at ALL!!!!!!! *dives for bucket of salt*

Thank you for the links, I'm going to book mark them and read them!!

Edit:

I noticed on the salt dosing link that dips and baths are good for fish with a lot of 'bugs' and I'd like to do that but I don't think she's quite strong enough for that. Hopefully the upped amount of salt will start producing results with her Ich!!!!

Thank you again!!! You may well be the one who saved her life!!!! I just hope it's all in time!!!!!!

I've actually been on the edge of my seat reading this...I really can't contribute anything helpful to the treatment or diagnosis (I just do whatever the dropper things tell me...ten drops, one drop, etc etc) but I don't even know what kind of fish Astrid/Hope is or her full story, but I'm HONESTLY hoping she pulls through this SO bad for you Halloween!

Guest Halloween

Thank you Allen, that means a lot to me! Astrid Hope (I just decided it would make a nice middle name! Haha, she is my first fish to have a middle name!!) is a Calico Oranda. I have one picture;

Mvc-096s.jpg

She is so sad here. And I have discovered she DOES have one eye, and it's this side facing us in the pic. I just don't know if it functions, and if so, how much.

Edit:

And for size reference, she is inside a Betta cup.

OH! She is beautiful! Thank you so much for posting a picture, is she getting better at all do you think? I really hope so, she is such a gorgeous fish!

Since you're online now, if you have a messenger...my AIM is amorecondannato, and my MSN is butterflyangelkami@hotmail.com

Guest Halloween

Her fins are still very much clamped when she rests at the bottom though she does move around quite a bit, I mean, she moves to a different spot every couple of minutes where last night she didn't move at all. She's eating extremely well though she does spit the food out unless it's totally soft all the way through, and even then the pieces have to be small... I'm not sure if that has to do with her Ich and Flukes or if she's somehow become spoiled already. I'm leaning on Flukes though because I had another fish do the same thing. Plus her poo is normal colored so... She also resists my hand more. Last night and the day before I could scoop her up in my hand and she would rest there. Now she fights her way away from me (even though weakly). I'm taking all of that as a good sign... I can't get to excitied though, I have to keep it real. I've had fish LESS sick than her start to get better then just keel over the next day. My hopes are high but I can't let them get to high, but it's hard with her for some reason. She's just stolen my heart like no other rescued fish has!!!! I will say though she is the most active I have ever seen her.

Edit:

This might sound corny butshe has a theme song!!! It's "Remember Me This Way" from the Casper movie! LOLOLOLOLOL I even printed off the lyric I don't need eyes to see the love you bring to me and taped it to her hospital bed.

You're getting me attached to her, too...awh <333 And Casper?! That's one of my most favoritest movies of all time! Christina Ricci...and the Crypt-keeper! LMAO! And I do love that song, too btw...I wish Daryl would come along and tell you something magic to do to make her all better.

Hi!! Sorry not to see this sooner. So you have found flukes? When you have a new fish especailly one that seems very sick its always a good idea to treat for flukes first. Flukes cause the red ulcer spots that look bacterial but are not and the fish will almost always have clamped fins Flashing does occur but that stage may have occurred when she wa sin the store and it is missed. First action is salt + prazi for a new sick fish. The bacterial issues can be resolved later and the salt anyway should take care of them.

Im glad you got the parsite clear in -it contains prazi. Keep the salt at 0.3% too.

I personally never use Maracyn or bacterial meds until I know exactly what Im dealing with. Salt and prazi dosing gives you time to scope and observe meanwhile.

I hope your cutie pulls through :heart .

Guest Halloween

I'm glad she has the correct amount of salt now and Prazi. I suppose all I can do is watch her and keep her water clean and maintain correct temp and medications.

Archived