Chrissy_Bee

ammonia/nitrate 0

nitrate 10

ph 7.2

30 gallon tank with an aquaclear 50 and large penguine

20% water change every 4-5 days

3 medium goldies in the tank

I use Prime

They've been eating only medigold for a week (I'll explain)

This morning I woke up and found my poor George stuck behind a large rock I have in the tank. I moved it yesterday while cleaning and didn't put it back tight enough to the galss to keep the goldies from getting behind it :unsure:

He was only loosely wedged in there but I think he was banging up against the plant pot. He has a big sore spot on his back, skin missing from his dorsal fin, plus a lot of whiteish areas and tears on his tail. I had already been feeding him medigold as a precaution (he'd been having long white poop and I thought I saw fungus on him) and I added Melafix today, but I'm worried because the spots are starting to look fungis-ey. Should I do anything else or wait and see for the time being? He's acting fairly normal, just a bit dazed I think. Here's a pic, it's not too clear but the best I could get. You can see the scrape on his back and whilte on his tail...

post-5992-1198183690.jpg

Oh Chrissy, I am sorry about George! :( My demekin did the same thing one time. He got lodged between two rocks and luckily, my 3-yr-old saw him and I was able to move one of the rocks and he was fine. I would wait until Trinket or another mod saw this before you add any other meds to the tank. The melafix should take care of his abbrasions and scratches, either that or salt, and clean water. I hope he gets better soon!!!! He is a beautiful fish!

Oh dear, poor George. He is a lovely looking demekin :heart:)

Those white scrapes are probably just where his slime coat has been removed and the stringy fungusy looking stuff may well just be the slime coat where its peeled off. I think you are doing all you can with a drop of melafix. Those patches should heal over fast in your good water (presuming you got the nitrite/nitrate readings opposite).

Oh dear, poor George. He is a lovely looking demekin :heart:)

Those white scrapes are probably just where his slime coat has been removed and the stringy fungusy looking stuff may well just be the slime coat where its peeled off. I think you are doing all you can with a drop of melafix. Those patches should heal over fast in your good water (presuming you got the nitrite/nitrate readings opposite).

LOL! I noticed that, too, Imo, but assumed that as she put nitrate twice, she just had them confused.

• Admin

The only other advise I can say for this is if the melafix doesnt help the sores u can use a q-tip with some peroxide to clean the sores and help it heal. Just make sure you dont get it in his eye or gills.

I just got home. The scrapes are healed but George's eye looks bad. I noticed it was a little odd looking yesterday, but today it's cloudy and looks scraped :(

post-5992-1198274430.jpg

I'm continuing the medigold/melafix, I hope he doesn't lose the eye or anything!!

Cloudy eye? either from the trauma stress, or flexibacter, common in tanks. The medigold should help clear it if you can keep other stressors away. He won't lose the eye don't worry, I think you are doing what you can for him.

It looks a little better today, poor guy :(

I hope he gets better soon. Keep up the good work Chrissy. Remember for speedy recovery of cloudy eyes, a perfect, perfect water param is beyond essential. A perfect water kept in the mid 70s is the best for traumatized eyes.

Archived