Fiddler Crab Setup

Guest tootie12

Guest tootie12

Seeing as I wont be getting the 20 gallon long until after Christmas I've decided to turn the 10 gallon tank into a brackish setup for fiddler crabs. Everytime I visit the local nnnn they have a tank full of fiddler crabs. They look so cool and I think I'd enjoy them. I dont know how many I want to get. I read somewhere that they only get o be 1-2in long including claws. I have half the supplies needed, and Im saving up to get the other supplies. Im planning on making the setup really simple, but I still want it to have a natural look to it. My 10g stays around 79-80F, is that an alright temp? I already have gravel in the tank and I was wondering if its alright to use it. I only need to buy marine salt, a hydrometer, and a new test kit. Im planning on having the tank setup by the end of December. Ill get some pics of it setup how I like it.

Also are the rocks you see in the picture ok to use in my setup?

http://guitarfish.org/images/posts/eriocau...-10-28-2006.jpg

I have been using info from this site is it ok?

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20Fiddler%20Crabs.htm

I've kept fiddler crabs a few times, they are awesome little pets.

The only thing to be careful about with the rocks is if they shift while cleaning, I once crushed one by accident :(

I don't know how many you should put in a tank, some crabs are social (hermies) but others can be aggressive. I've kept two in a 10 gallon with no problems.

Guest tootie12

If I set my tank up as shown above, I'll save money and I can have my fiddler crabs by this weekend. All Im gonna have to buy is a hydrometer, sea salt, and a test kit. Im gonna add my heater to the bottom of the tank in the back. It's at 80F is that ok? I also have some small river stones for the tank. I have it setup in my room. Its just to give me a look at how it will be. I thought of a great way to make burrows in gravel for the fiddlers, but I dont know about it. You can get a regular plastic water bottle and cut of half of it. Then you can arrange it in the gravel for the fiddlers.

*When I get the hydrometer, should I get the one that looks like a thermometer or the one you fill with water?

thats a good setup, its safest to get just 1 as they could possibly fight, and when they do its a fight till death. I've kept mooncrabs which have similar requirements expect they r much larger and more sensative, I could give u more info later but Im at school right now and dont have time

Guest tootie12

Someone told me that if I get all females they are less likely to fight. Im setting the tank up like the second pic. I have a heater in the tank and its at 80F is that a good temp? How do I go about acclimating them?

If I get them from a nnnn that has them in a terrestrial setup are they brackish?

I didn't even have a heater when I kept them, so I think 80 will be fine. As for acclimating, that's a good point. Most petstores keep them in fresh water so you may want gradually salt their water. Best to ask the store staff what they're kept in now.

Guest tootie12

Do they need a filter? I have an Elite Mini fliter in the tank. Im going to be doing waterchanges every 2 days. Im thinking of buying some sand from the store and use that. With the supplies Im stilling needing to buy the fiddlers wont be coming this weekend.

if u keep just females it should b ok to get more than one but even then they might fight although probably not like the males, I think that should b fine. The temp is ok, although around 78 would b perfect, 80 is fine thouhg. Petstores keep them in freshwater which is not good for them, adjust them slowly and raise the salt over a few weeks. A filter is a good idea. Sand is great for crabs cause they like to dig around in it, I had sand for my crab and he loved it. As for food, they can eat alot of thing, I fed my mooncrab spirulina algae tablets and shrimp pellets. But they can also have almonds, fruits, carrots and stuff like that, also a piece of cuttlebone I think it was should be placed in the tank and when he needs extra calcium for his shell (I think it was calcium) then they can get it, alsodont remove their shells when they molt, they will eat it as a sourse of calcium for growing a new healthy shell, and dont freak out if they lose a few legs, they will grow back the next time they molt.

At one of my local fish stores, they float styrofoam peanuts in the water so the fiddler crabs can climb out of the water. There are always lots of the little guys lounging around on them. Also, I heard they are good climbers so make sure your lid is secure. What amuses me and kind of disgusts me at the same time is when I see the fiddler crabs sitting on the bottom of the tank with someone's old shell in their claws and eating it. Eww. Good calcium source, huh. LoL.

Edited by comet182

I heard they are good climbers so make sure your lid is secure.

They are escape artists! A girl at the petstore once told me that they found crabs in a store about 100 feet away once. They had climed out of their tank and made a run for it!!

yes, they defianently can escape! If u can get one of those plastic covers fro reptile tanks and put it ontop, they dont need light so u can go without the canopy, that way they also get more fresh air. I had to have a cover like that (I made one out of a different material) because aotherwise he could escape by climbing up near the wire (they r excellent at escaping, when I got my first one it got out of the transportation container and was running free in the store and people were running out screaming cause of a crab on the floor lol). Also put something heavy like a rock on the plastic cover, I dont know how strong fiddler crabs r, but mooncrabs even when they're small can easily lift off the canopy so better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Shamu23

make sure the sand is made for aquarium use and that it doesnt buffer ph or anything like that, thats the mistake I made, ph buffering sand with already too high ph!!!! I had to add a chemical twice a day to keep it within reasonable range

if its not for aquarium use then I wouldnt risk it cause it might affect water quality, and it might not be safe for the crab, I really think it would b better to get aquarium sand, better to b safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tootie12

I picked up a new thermometer, a hydrometer, and a bag of marine salt. I mixed some of the salt with the water I had in the tank already. How long should I wait before testing the water with the hydrometer? I ended up getting the one that you fill with water. The directions they gave are a bit complicated so I'll need some help with that. The water is abit cloudy from the salt and I have the filter running in the tank to agitate the water. And someone told me that they dont need a heater and they are fine at room temp. Is that a true statement? In about 3-4 days I'll be getting a couple of fiddlers.