Seriously I Really Wanna Identify Their Sex ! And Perhaps Age?

alanworm

is there some ways you can tell between the sex of the fish ?? other than their a-hole? its really difficult trying sneak at a glans at there behinds ! LOL...

but seriously i would like to know ... how to tell the differences ..i've had my fish for quiet a while and never seen goldfish breed and not knowing the stars and the eggs or the bigg belly !!

and i've read that you can't tell how old is your fish is that correct???

Their vents are prolly the easiest way to tell. You can post pics and let us guess! :)

I might have to resex my ranchu Ojo. Although she gets chased by Oscar, who I know is a male, I thought I saw breeding stars developing on her pecs. But usually being chased by a male is a good tell tale of whether you've got a male or female. I try to look for egg readiness too, such as bulging on one side of the tummy.

Females will chase females and males will chase males at times, though. So chasing - while often a very good sign - is not the definative answer on a goldfish's sex.

Seeing eggs spewed from the fish is a sure sign that the fish is female. Actually seeing milt will be a sure sign that a fish is male. All other signs are subject to interpretation.

Yes - looking at the vent will give you a very good idea of the sex - particularly if you are experienced. Seeing large breeding stars in a sexually active male is a dead giveaway.

During non-breeding times, one of the easiest methods I have found to identify a male is to try shining a flashlight along the front pecs of the fish. Breeding stars, even when not enlarged as they are in times of spawning, will refect the light back in a kind of irridencent glimmer, making them easier to see - if they are there!

:)

During non-breeding times, one of the easiest methods I have found to identify a male is to try shining a flashlight along the front pecs of the fish. Breeding stars, even when not enlarged as they are in times of spawning, will refect the light back in a kind of irridencent glimmer, making them easier to see - if they are there!

that's cool to know!

Although I am not quite sure of my fishies sex, I have a good idea. Jaws, who I think is a male (am gonna try Daryl's trick though!) has chased my demekin ever since they were put together. Their vents are definately different. Hammy's protrudes somewhat, while Jaws' is recessed. Jaws has also tried to "rub" against Hammy's vent and I have seen Hammy put her vent in Jaws' face before.

Females will chase females and males will chase males at times, though. So chasing - while often a very good sign - is not the definative answer on a goldfish's sex.

Seeing eggs spewed from the fish is a sure sign that the fish is female. Actually seeing milt will be a sure sign that a fish is male. All other signs are subject to interpretation.

Yes - looking at the vent will give you a very good idea of the sex - particularly if you are experienced. Seeing large breeding stars in a sexually active male is a dead giveaway.

I agree..So far my vent method has worked for me and been precise..All my females have a outie of a vent( convex)..my males have a concave..I also note the stars on the pecs.. my young males already show this feature no stars on the gill plates yet.. but definitly the pecs..

Their vents are prolly the easiest way to tell. You can post pics and let us guess! :)

I might have to resex my ranchu Ojo. Although she gets chased by Oscar, who I know is a male, I thought I saw breeding stars developing on her pecs. But usually being chased by a male is a good tell tale of whether you've got a male or female. I try to look for egg readiness too, such as bulging on one side of the tummy.

i've never seen any breeding stars or eggs so far that i have them! i have them for about half a year now...

pictures... here are some pictures

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc249/alanworm/

i'm not sure if its clear enough?? i can upload some new ones later today....

Madzs: thats is great tips... let me identify them !

i'll go take a look right now lol!