ktinal900

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.4

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gal, over a year

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aquaclear (don't remember the model; it is the recommended 10X the tank amount)

How often do you change the water and how much? right now, because of health issues and trying to keep bacteria levels down, every 4 or 5 days, usually 30%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 comets, 4 inch, 7 inch

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

Any medications added to the tank? no... just salt... right now back at 0.1% because I'm wondering if the salt may have aggravated the 7 inch fish's condition?

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? flakes (Warldey, Omega One), ocassional peas

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? YES... blood spots on anal on pelvic fins.. and 7 inch's eye still cloudy and swollen

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? no... still eating and relatively active

As I've written in a previous post, my 7 inch comet hasn't been doing too good as of late. One of his eyes is cloudy and has fluid buildup. I was advised to salt the tank to 0.2% and increase the temp slowly to around 80 degrees. Today I noticed there are bloody spots on his anal and pectoral fins; they appear as bright red spots near the edge of his fins; there's one on each fin. Right now the salt level is 0.1% as I have just changed about half the water and have not added back any salt... Is it possible the salt has aggravated his condition or is it safe to increase the salt back to 0.2%? What might be the cause of the blood spots on his fins? My poor fishie :( I really hope he gets better... I've sent an email to Rick at Goldfish Connection about my Medigold order, so I'm hoping that will come within the upcoming days... Meanwhile, what can I do for my fish? Water params have been good and I've been doing filter rinses (not tap water but water that's been sitting for a few days) once a week

Edited by comet182

Keep the salt at 0.1% for now and hold out for the medicated food. It seems to be taking ages as I remember I recommended that for his cloudy eye and fluid build up before. This is all sounding bacterial. Did you have a very good clean up of the filter recently unplugging gunk from the impellers and pipes? Its very important to reduce bacterial levels and that cant be done by water changes alone.

Can you get a pic of those fin spots?

Yes, when I first noticed his eye cloudy and swollen, I did a thorough filter cleansing. And a day or two ago, I rinsed the filter again... I have had the biomax in the filter ever since i got the filter (over a year now)... it's still in tact though brownish... should I ever change this? I do have a new biomax insert but never used it due to reading that many don't change it since it'll get rid of the good bacteria... but perhaps it's time?

Do you mean the white ceramic hoop things? I never change mine. Just give them a good wash in tank water to try and clean them up a bit. What about any other trap in the tank...ornament, gravel, no pockets of bacteria trapped anywhere? Just trying to be thorough. Your poor fishy.

Can you describe the finspots? Are they raised red pimple type spots?

I did a thorough gravel vac yesterday. I'm going to clean the large rocks and fake plants. You wouldn't recommend a complete stripping down of the tank, would you? Just a thought... I'll do anything I can...

I just noticed a small red spot on his side :( and the spots on his fins have darkened in color... they're not raised but rather just spots on his fins as though part of his fin (sorry, can't describe it very well), small -- about a few millimeters. The spots on his fins haven't gotten bigger.

Edited by comet182

What drives me crazy is that ever since I moved my fish to the 30 gallon tank, I've been experiencing rashes of problems... before finding this forum and better ways to house/care for my goldfish, I never tested water parameters and did 100% tank cleanings every other week (and I had an undergravel filter! and a too small tank!). Now I do weekly water changes, test the params, watch the water temperature, etc and have only run across problem after problem. Cloudy eye... Fin rot... Fin rot again... Another cloudy eye... blood spots... Is it possible that they are used to 100% tank cleanings? :krazy:

No hun. Its the early start that lowered the fishes immunity. The fish we have from when we kept them in not good conditions have been weakened and are going to be prone to infection in new setups even if the new set up is better. Dont over clean, Im sure you have done enough for now.

I'm assuming the medigold isnt here yet? Can you get something else while you are waiting. I'm thinking one of the Geltek antibiotic foods would be good for him. Those red spots sound like septicemia which often goes with a bad case of pop eye/cloudy eye.

Its urgent you get something inside the fish so rather than wait thats what Id do. You could try either the Penecillin one or the Ampicillin one.

Oh, whew, well that's a relief... I'll drop by the fishstore tomorrow to see if I can find some of that food. I think I saw some of that before... My Medigold should be coming in a few days... I'm waiting anxiously.

Thank you so much for all the help; I really do appreciate it! :)

Edited by comet182

Also with Christmas coming up we can't rely on the Medigold getting here in the time they say. Mail is very slow this week so the other food will be faster.

Hang in there and good luck.

I don't suppose it would be of any use to try any more medicines that you add to the water if I shouldn't find any gel food, do you? I know I have found them not to be very effective in the past but who knows... I am getting desperate

I really hope I can find some antibiotic gel food... if I don't, I'm going to throw a fit! haha

Oh and you had mentioned if the red spots were raised... I just a closer look at the spot on my fish's anal fin and it is kind of sticking out, especially as the fin should be relatively "flat." All the other red spots/streaks are not though...

Edited by comet182

Go for the Geltek antibiotic food first. If you cant get it, you could try water meds I suppose. Thomas Laboratories make a few products like "Fish-cillin" "Fish-pen" "Fish-mox" which are all penecillin based. Any of these would be good if you can get them. They are sold in small capsules to break into the water.

Or you can try KanaPlex by Seachem. Its very effective on internal and external. If you can get that, it may be the best water one since you already tried the Maracyns in the past and they didn't work.

I found the Gel-Tek at the store today and got the Penicillin one since it's red and the Ampicillin one was blue. Since when would something blue make a fish want to eat it? Plus, my fish probably would never think twice about a blue glob flying into the water, as their gravel is also blue. :blink: Still, this stuff is kind of weird. It seems so liquidy and the label says "at least 5 drops per fish" -- very vague. So if you have a tiny fish like a guppy, give it 5 drops or if you have a huge goldfish also give it 5 drops? There ought to be a recommded dosage for different size fish... It says to only feed the Gel-Tek so I guess my comet won't be getting his beloved flakes in the coming days... I hope he sees and eats the gel when I drop it into his house tomorrow... I suppose it won't matter too much if some of the stuff should dissolve away before he gets to it? He does have a little trouble seeing his food because of his cloudy/swollen eye, it seems...

Well if you can get it into him it is good medication. Other people have found it kind of melts when it goes in the water and have made their own gel food with it. I agree the dosage seems very vague. I imagine 5 drops is for a small 1 to 2 inch (without tail) fish- average in the world of fishkeeping maybe- so if your fish are bigger than that I suggest you feed more.

If you are having probs, you can make gelfood with it by mixing it into gelatin and letting it harden. Count the drops you add and divide

into that many pieces. Example 50 drops into gelfood = 10 meals. I think member grain did that recently.

Just read back- I forgot your fish is 7 inches (is that inc. tail?) so I think I would double the dose for him or at least 8 drops anyway :) .

Edited by Trinket

His fins are looking worse today... the blood streaks are now in his pectoral fins too. And the spot which is on his anal fin close to his body is more of a lump that has been getting bigger. Aughh! :krazy:

I tried giving him the Gel-Tek this morning... squeezed a drop into the tank. He knew it was feeding time and was swimming around excitedly but of course didn't see the red droplet floating by. I tried a few more times but the same thing happened. I'll try the gelatin thing... it should at least hold up better then. I had been planning on giving him about 10 drops. And yep, the 7 inches includes his tail. I hope as long as he's eating, he's got a decent chance of recovering? Darn it, where is my Medigold?? haha :krazy:

I remember you mentioned how a poor start off lowers a fish's immunity. Will it always be like this? Will it ever build back up its immunity? :( I feel horrible about my former fishkeeping habits...

Edited by comet182

Almost all of us did the same! You are not alone. Your fish can rebuild his strength but needs this:" sustained attentive care and no stressors for a period of time long enough to heal and strengthen" When he gets better, if you can keep your tank disease free and with perfect water stats for a"sustained" period (I mean like 6 months or so) you will find during that time he has strengthened and developed much better immune response. It takes time in perfect water with good nutrition before he can get back to optimal strength but yes it can return of course.

Make some gelfood (wonder why its called geltek this food!it doesnt seem to gel :rolleyes: )and you could also try salting to 0.3%.

Or the Fish- cillin med group if you can get those which are also the same penecillin antibiotic base that you are feeding so would work well together. A picture would help a lot.

I made the gelfood and stuck it in the fridge to harden a bit. Reminded me of jello so I made myself some strawberry jello. Just gotta make sure not to eat his little bowl of gel :P

Anal fin (this spot is sticking out a bit)

256487938.jpg

Pectoral and pelvic fins (in my first post, I meant pelvic fins and not pectoral)

256487936.jpg

The pics aren't very good and he had just been recovering from a second bout of fin rot and his fins were growing back when all this hit (the light colored part of his fins is new growth)

Edited by comet182

Poor fishy. Thats bleeding. And you know the Medigold is so great for this...

I am wondering whats behind all this though. No new things or happenings in the tank? How did the bacteria build up I wonder. Im fairly sure it'll just be a regular (bad) aeromonas/pseudomonas bacterial condition aggravated by stress. Finding what the stress is will be the best way to solve it longterm. These kind of bacteria are in all tank systems and they are only harmful when they have been allowed to build up and/or the fish is weakened from stress. Sometimes, some fish simply "grow out" of their space and cannot tolerate the bacteria levels in the water and do well with a move to a larger tank where by sheer water volume the bacterial count will be less with the same maintanence given.

I would salt while you are waiting on meds. It does help. Certainly to 0.2%. Well done on the gelfood (dont eat it-ewww!!)

Can't wait for the Medigold! The only thing I got in the mail was my new camera battery so I was finally able to post some pics.

I am hoping to get a larger tank for them. Nothing really new to the tank except some new (fake) plants...

I haven't seen the Kanaplex at the local fish stores. Do you think the chain stores might have it? I was so disappointed when I checked my mail today and saw that my Medigold hadn't yet arrived. Anyways, this morning, I cut up his gel food. When I was standing at the tank, he went to the surface and started smacking his lips loudly. He went right for those little red blobs when I dropped them in. Right after he slurped one of them up and was munching on it, he kind of looked like, what the heck is this? I thought he was going to spit it out but he didn't and instead went to eat the other pieces. Thank goodness. I hope this helps him. How long do you think I ought to give him the gelfood? Whenever the Medigold comes, I probably should stop giving him the gelfood and just feed him Medigold?

He looks miserable right now.. One of his pectoral fins is almost completely streaked with blood and that one is clamped to his side while he uses his other one (which doesn't really have any blood streaks) to keep his balance in the water. :(

Thanks, Grain! I sure hope it does too! I've tried so many (too many!) water-borne medications that haven't helped much and I've heard so many good things about Medigold! :)