Omg!

dickey_moe

I was cleaning my big fish tank, and I saw a bunch of tiny circles on the glass bottom!! Eggs!!! They had been eaten but I did find one that was on the silicone and I took a good look with a loop and saw 2 tiny eyes staring back at me! I started a tank and put the plants from this tank into it. Hopefully, there will be survivors!

I am so excited!! I remember Smooters and Glurp were chasing Taffy around so she is very likely to be the momma. Daddy could be anyone.

I sure hope Egg makes it. See, I named it already, so it has to live :)

Well I am a Grammy! Egg has hatched and is now free-swimming. I came home today and found the tank full of klingons :D There has to be more than 30!! all clinging to the plants and sides of the tank.

I am putting the same food in that I use for my Shellies. I hope it will be enough.

Well break open the champagne, I told you your goldies would be next!! CONGRATULATIONS!! :flowerss:carrot:

That's a large amount to save too, the most I saved in any batch was around 20- you are sure to have quite a few that make it with that many to start. Ain't they cute :exactly

Thanks folks but..........EEK...........there are so many more than I first thought!!! I have counted more than 50 now!! Some of them are clinging to the silicone so they are easier to see, but there are lots clinging to the plants that aren't so easy to see. Good Grief! There could be a hundred or more. (hyperventilating follows)

When do you think it would be safe to do a water change? I am nervous about upsetting the Klingons. Will they move if the water level drops? I have put alot of food in there and the water will be foul if I don't get it out. Also there is m. blue in there to guard against fungus on what used to be the eggs (and are now the Klingons). M. blue will kill bb so I have to get it out so I can put a piece of filter in to get the cycle started on the sponge. Until I can vacuum the bottom I have to keep the water very clean.

OOOoooo Grammy is all flustered now. I can't stay away from the magnifying glass. :D

If you are very careful you can siphon water out with airline tubing. The fry will inch down or move to another spot as the water lvl drops...if it drops slow enough.

You can also use airline tubing to put the water back in, making sure to point it towards a spot on the tank where no fry are hanging on. Or you can use a cup to gently replace the water. Make sure the new water is perfectly matched to the tank temps, as fry are much more sensitive to changing conditions.

I hear turkey basters are a good tool to get the unhatched eggs/ leftover food out of the tank.

Congrats and good luck with the little ones!

Thanks,I already did a trickle water change with airline tubing to keep from disturbing the eggs that were loose on the floor of the tank. It took a lonnng time but it got the job done and I found a way to keep Egg from getting sucked up into the tubes.

But now I have Klingons. I am going to do another change today but I will have to keep watch to make sure no one is getting left high and dry. They must move! if they don't then how did they get there in the first place right???

The M. blue is making my ammonia test colors wrong. It has to come out. The ammonia test is yellow for no ammonia, but with the blue in there it is immediately green. So, I can't really say for sure if there is any ammonia or not. I am assuming there could be because of the extra food and possible unhatched eggs. The best thing I can do is to keep changing the water.

I am going to give it a try. wish me luck!

lucky u!!! I've been hoping for eggs in one of my tropicals tanks for months!! I'd really like to breed them but nothing I do encourages breeding, ofcourse I could try harder but my mom threatened that if I bred my fish i'd be in big trouble lol, she knows what would happen. I'll get attached to them and have to get a new tank to keep them lol. I hope ur little egg hatches. My new oranda Zap is looking round and fat though, who knows maybe she's a girl! But she's going in with Jackie and she's a female too, Snowflake seems to be a boy so far but if I let them together again then Zap will get hurt

Edited by Shamu23

There prob wont be any ammonia for a while Chickey. They produce next to registerable nothing at that size. Your not feeding them yet I presume (once they are free swimming). Just remember -and dont wish to be alarming at all -but any larger swish of water creates bent spines and kills many they are so fragile. I'm sure you are doing great. Wow- so many :D

Trinket, It is more the food on the bottom that I am worried about. I think it will cause an ammonia spike. Yes, I did feed them until I realized they didn't have mouths yet. (whoops!) The thing is: Egg is an older baby and he must need food now. I think I just put too much in.

I did a long, slow trickle water change. There is still blue in the tank but it is much lighter than it was. and I will do a couple more tomorrow. I don't care how much water changing I have to do. I want my little ones to survive.

Thanks for the caution about sloshing the water, I didn't know that. I have been very gentle and the water has been just trickling in.

Well, the plants were causing me some trouble, and since my babies are now able to dart away from movement...I took the biggest plant out. Now their numbers are visible to me. Let me just say YIKES :yikes There may be more than 200!!!!!!!!

someone get me a paper bag to breathe into.....(grammy faints) :thud

oh, one more thing: with the plant gone, I can see the bottom better and I was able to sweep up alot of the extra food without sucking up a baby. That made me feel a whole lot better.

Edited by Chickey