How Much Salt Can Bristlenose Take ?

alanworm

My bristlenose is with my goldfish but i was wondering how much salt can a bristlenose take max??? .1% and less?? also ... does bristlenose have scales??? i think i see scales on my bristlenose... is that true?

Edited by alanworm

Why do you need to use salt?

Even with my fancy goldfish I don't use any and they are fine without it. These are freshwater fish and should be in freshwater. Salt is used a lot to treat illnesses or when there is a high risk of illness, but in general I would not use it all the time. It is unnecessary and can result in resistant strains of certain pathogens, making salt use as a treatment for illness ineffective.

Even with my fancy goldfish I don't use any and they are fine without it. These are freshwater fish and should be in freshwater. Salt is used a lot to treat illnesses or when there is a high risk of illness, but in general I would not use it all the time. It is unnecessary and can result in resistant strains of certain pathogens, making salt use as a treatment for illness ineffective.

goldfish do fine in a salted tank it is used in many members tanks, it can help prevent illness the main being parasites in also helps prevent sbd from continually effecting the fish. Also even freshwater has some degree of salt in it, it is just not very noticeable.

I am not too sure about the bristlenose pleco and salt i think they may be a scale less fish

Edited by dan in aus

One of the reason is said by the other member here on another post... eric2601 :Well no salt at all will create a stress thru problems with osmotic regulation - etc - ....Salt is not unecessary because it does prevent parasites like dan in aus said...You can and not use salt in with fancy goldfish but it is not harmful to goldfish for sure, if you are keeping in a low volume of salt.. At a high volume of salt .3% max in tank it is to treat illnesses... and if its not treating for illness it will stress the fish !! thats why i am stating how much salt it can withstain ... especially bristlenose because i know plecos are sensitive to salt ... and want to make sure until i put any salt into the tank !

I am not too sure about the bristlenose pleco and salt i think they may be a scale less fish.

yeah i've been observing for quite a while !! lol :blink: i seriously see scales on him ! but i might be wrong... i know for sure that rubbernose pleco have no scales ... i don't wanna harm my little guy he's so adorable !!! love when he just sticks his lips on the front glass !! any expert out there ???

Edited by alanworm

Plecs can usually manage low salt but not more than 0.1%.

I have to agree with Fishguy there is no reason to keep healthy freshwater fish in permanent salt. And yes it can lead to needing a far higher and more stressful dose if parasites appear. JMO.

Plecos have scales, big thick ones. They are from the amazon though and are used to very soft, acidic water. They can tolerate and even do very well in hard water, but adding any salt is only going to make things worse and more stressful for them.

If freshwater already has salt in it, then why add more?

Swim bladder disease is mainly a water quality and type of food thing. Once we switched over all the round-bodied goldfish at work over to sinking foods, we have not had a single case since. I only use New Life Spectrum and it is sinking. In addition it has very easily digested ingredients. Hard to digest ingredients can cause digestive problems that can look like swim bladder problems.

If your water quality is high and you don't stress them they shouldn't need constant preventative treatment of disease.

Goldfish can tolerate salt very well. But that does not mean it is necessary or that it can't do more harm in the long run.

These fish are used to hard freshwater. If you have soft tap water then you should get the hardness up (magnesium and calcium), not add aquarium or table salt (sodium and chlorine). If everything is fine then the stress of a natural bodily function, osmoregulation, should not be an issue at all. When they are stressed or sick then osmoregulation may be an additional factor and at that time it is okay to use some salt. Salt treats the symptoms of problems. Don't treat the symptoms, treat the problems.