Snail Infestation

Guest flyboymonkey

Guest flyboymonkey

I have a 10 gallon tank with java moss duckweed three danios and a chinese algea eater with snails covering all the gravel and sides and in the plants is there any way to be rid of them? i tried going thru my tank theres to many of them and all they do is poop poop poop :wall:help1

(and snails disgust me)

do all types of loaches eat snails? i have alot of small small snails and i really want to get rid of them. i do have an already cycled 40 or so gallon tank that i can put my goldies in while the loaches work their magic, but i want to know if i am to get loaches, which ones to look for and whatnot. also, how long does it usually take loaches to clean a tank out of snails? barebottom 110gallong tub.

Flyboy, I had a BAD case of pest snails in my tropical tank too, and I tried different things. Had-A-Snail didn't work. I had ghost shrimp, 1 common pleco, danios and a molly in the tank, all of which prefer a little salt in the tank. I always keep the tank at .1% for this reason. I increased the salt to .2%, then one week later increased it to .3%. I kept it that way for 2-3 weeks, can't remember. Now I am slowly decreasing the salt back by .1/2% weekly until I reach .1% again. You could try this and see if it works for you. Just keep in mind certain species of fish cannot tolerate salt. Good luck! :D

...dang, and I want snails and algae! D:

You should send me some! But I have seen medications in the store which promise to rid you of snails. I'll see if I can track it down, it was like "Had a snail" or something like that.

Had-A-Snail

Apparently it also cures a few other things, like certain parasites. Anyway, just a thought. I don't know if I would use it, then again, I'm adverse to adding medications to the tank unless absolutely necessary.

I don't think you guys want a million infestation snails roaming your tanks. They're not as nice as friendly as those other snails petshops sell.

If all else fails, you may want to consider doing a whole potassium permanganate bomb on your tank -- but you'll basically have to start from scratch. :(

Archived