Your Secrets Of Goldfish Keeping !

alanworm

A continuous water change system is actually an ideal setup. I have been working to set up tanks with a continuous flow - calculated to give about a 100% turnover every 6 days. Many small changes thtoughout the week is close to that ideal.

Most of us, however, do not have the luxury of taking the time to change water every day - or even every other day. Therefore - to get the amount of water volume you want changed - or need changed depending on your particular tank - you need to change large amounts when you DO change.

Explained?

You are BOTH right. :)

i was wondering how can u make a continuous flow tank !! i was thinking about that !!!! lol but i never got any ideas how to start it ... i would love to get one for my little guys ...

Ok let me throw my thought out there again & see what bounces back. The tank example is 100 gallons. If I do a 50% water change I am replenishing the other 50% fresh clean water. AND you are vigorously vacuuming the gravel while removing water. Leaving the "old" water cleaner & the "new 50% ADDING to the cleanliness of the water. (I actually very often do MORE than 50%.....bigger is better)

If you are do 20% changes you are barely dissipating the water at all. The larger 80% would "overpower" the new 20%. Try this idea with colored water in glasses.

Input?

I see what you are talking about there. Good observation. :) Maybe I am changing more water per week to compensate for that effect? I probably wouldn't notice, because I have not done it any other way in several years. I gradually changed to my current pattern.

I do observe that it works for me, however.

Ok let me throw my thought out there again & see what bounces back. The tank example is 100 gallons. If I do a 50% water change I am replenishing the other 50% fresh clean water. AND you are vigorously vacuuming the gravel while removing water. Leaving the "old" water cleaner & the "new 50% ADDING to the cleanliness of the water. (I actually very often do MORE than 50%.....bigger is better)

If you are do 20% changes you are barely dissipating the water at all. The larger 80% would "overpower" the new 20%. Try this idea with colored water in glasses.

Input?

I agree with you generally speaking. My thoughts are to do WC's when nitrates need to be depleted, which could be 1, 2, or 3X per week, depending on the tank. If I'm going to go through the trouble of getting the python out, I'm going to do a minimum 50% water change at one time. I just think that taking out oxygen depleted water and replacing with oxygen rich water is a good thing, so how could more oxygen be bad? :)

Guest eric2601

secret sto share before doing it -

1. If you do not have the self control and unending committment for time - religiously each day, to care for this animal without fail - you being sick or well

2. The source for competant persons to oversee the daily oversight of tending to their needs when you are away

3. No desire to move anywhere more than one days travel without signifigant preperation.

4. An understanding , about life, that not everything can be controlled and that you may loose an aquapuppy thru no fault of your own and could not cure the problem no matter how much money o=r time you spent; Nature is nature....

If you have all of the above- consider moving into a long term mental health center - as a easier alternative - to the ownership of these devils in fish suits - but - if you still want them as pets - make sure you said yes to all of the above points and can commit to all of them. Then understand that you do not own them - they will own U!...