Your Secrets Of Goldfish Keeping !

alanworm

Is there any special secrets that you do like type of foods , set up of equimpments, the way you care the fish that makes your golfish live more happily or live healthier? maybe talking to goldfish ? not just physically but mentally as well ??? :rofl

screts that can be shared ????

I find feeding garlic is one of the best thing to do to have healthy goldfish !!! and watching them swim !! and even play with them .. i actually give them exercise before feeding them make them swimming laps in the tank !! lol ... but now i don't do it any more hahaha

I had no idea you can feed goldfish garlic. I knew a girl who said her kids did that (without knowing if it is good or bad for goldfiish) and her kids are around 5 years gold. She said she freaked out because the goldfish changed colors. Then again, the fish was kept in a bowl. I dunno. And they were probably overfed. So this is okay? How much should you feed them that? WOW! Who would have thought?! Garlic.

I feed them 3 tiny meals a day of OmegaOne for a couple of days in a wk, gel food 1x a wk, peas/veggies 2x wk, and fast them for a day. I'm also planning to add some bloodworms too once i get some :D

I had no idea you can feed goldfish garlic. I knew a girl who said her kids did that (without knowing if it is good or bad for goldfiish) and her kids are around 5 years gold. She said she freaked out because the goldfish changed colors. Then again, the fish was kept in a bowl. I dunno. And they were probably overfed. So this is okay? How much should you feed them that? WOW! Who would have thought?! Garlic.

check out this link Faust :D

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=64344

Edited by love-rabbit-fish

Guest Halloween

I play with my fish, I wiggle my fingers up and down on the glass and will dip them in a bit and splash the water around! My orange Oranda Reilly gets a kick out of the splashing. I also hand feed them their treats. Oh, and my tank that sits on my dresser gets a prime view of my computer so the fish in there watch what I'm doing on the internet. Sometimes I'll turn my head around really slow and I'll see three little pairs of eyes watching my from the corner of the tank!!!!!

I have found the golden rule to goldfish keeping is understocking and good filtration. I have a 55 gallon with two orandas and a BN pleco, 2 emperor 400s and *knock on wood* not one problem with the fishies!

I feed them 3 tiny meals a day of OmegaOne for a couple of days in a wk, gel food 1x a wk, peas/veggies 2x wk, and fast them for a day. I'm also planning to add some bloodworms too once i get some :D

check out this link Faust :D

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=64344

Thanks for that. I am going to give it a try.

Understocking and EXCELLENT filtration are quite important, but I feel the single most important thing for any fish is the water..... Take care of the water and the fish will take care of themselves. Water changes, an excellent chemical dechlorinator, and attention to dirty filter media is paramount to keeping these fish. Goldfish (and koi) are huge waste producers so the water MUST be looked after frequently. I do twice-weekly water changes on tanks where the fish load is pushing it, but the fish are healthier for it.

I also TOTALLY believe in quarantine. All new fish should be quarantined prior to being introduced to an existing tank or pond for a minimum of two weeks. At my house all new goldfish are kept at 80 degrees in .3% saltwater for two weeks, then given a treatment or two of FlukeTabs before being introduced to the pond or tanks. This has saved me a lot of heartbreak. Believe me, I've lost my best fish by not quarantining, and it sucks.

A good variety of foods is important. I like to feed peas on Sunday. The goldfish like them and they are used to them. That way if I ever have a problem, they will know what a pea is and not be averse to eating them..... I like to feed frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. Frozen food makes the baby goldfish grow in leaps and bounds. :rolleyes:

I agree with Halloween: Playing with your fish is important. It gives them outside stimulus and makes their lives less repetitive. They can get bored.

Water is important. It's like the very air we breathe. If there were something wrong with it, what would we do?

You also need to know your fish well so you can tell when something's wrong.

I have also heard that skipping a feeding once in a while can be beneficial to their digestive systems. Anybody know for sure?

lol ! thats one of my post on garlic ! ^^ i agree with all of them .. water is really important ... like gardengirl said !! nothing more important than that ... stressing a fish is deadly !! :badidea filtration can reduce the dirt from hovering on the bottom but new water's minerals are good for fishes !!! other than that food i find very important too !!! i feeed cucumber, peas, garlic to strengthen immunity, any veggie i'm having ^^ (they don't get to be picky eatters !!) frozen dried krills, hikari lionhead, and maybe adding bloodworms in their diet too .. oh occationally fruits... i put watermelon in summer, pealled grapes, anything natural .. they chow down wutever its there !!! i would think a different variety food gives them different minerals and vitamins which keeps my goldfish healthy !!

I definetely believe in understocking, good filtration, and weekly water changes. None of my tanks are overcrowded, and almost each of my fish has at least 15-20 gl, the pond fish even more. My 75 gl tanks are filled with either 3 orandas, the other one has 4 veiltails. There are 6 fish in my 125 gl, and 3 fish in my 160 gl (okay, that is WAY understocked, but all their tank mates are out in the pond).

Water changes are between 70-80% each week, and one other thing I highly recommend are smaller, more frequent meals. Variety is the spice of life, and that is for the fish as well. Not too much of just one food, and never a floating flake. The only flakes they'll ever see is Rick Hess' seafood flakes, and those sink basically the moment they hit the water.

I agree with Halloween: Playing with your fish is important. It gives them outside stimulus and makes their lives less repetitive. They can get bored.

Water is important. It's like the very air we breathe. If there were something wrong with it, what would we do?

You also need to know your fish well so you can tell when something's wrong.

I have also heard that skipping a feeding once in a while can be beneficial to their digestive systems. Anybody know for sure?

Yeah I read that also... I usually skip feeding them once a week :)

Guest eric2601

I believe:

1. Finding plants they enjoy to chew

2. presoaked variety of foods intermixed as a treat (I grind mione and add garlie and soluble vitiman drops) krill - bananna, canteloupe-

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUhgGhi7Wfw#GU5U2spHI_4

or

- not so extreme in the touching dept so I am not suggesting as much contact as punch in the video- this is a very unique fish in the affection concept - but so they are used to you so that you may check them over once and a while -

4. be creative - I took a prescription bottle with some stones in it - the serated edges of the top - I wet and placed bloodworms pressed in and put it in the tank 0- they would go after that for the bloodworms for hours -

You would be suprised what your aquapuppies will do and give great pleasure....

post-14541-1197544231.jpg

This may sound weird but I have to give Godzilla, my largest comme sometimes extra food. She is a lot bigger than the others (compare a huge whale with dolphins :D ) and she does need more food. If I give them the amound that should be enough for all of them Fred and Gigi (both not even half her size) eat more than her, wich resulted in her being a bit skinny compared to them. Now I even drop some extra food right above her so she wil eat most of it. Thanks to that she looks good and healthy :rolleyes:

Edited by Quasi

I guess if I have to simplify my attitude it would simply be that in most things goldfish - "Less is More".

Less Nitrates and other water inclusions

Less food (than most - the majority of people tend to feed too much - I am one of the worst offenders in this!)

Less medications

Less worrying

LEss fish in a tank

More: Filtration and water changes.

Always use a topical treatment FIRST - go to the medications as a second choice. Tub to tub is great. UV is your friend.

If something is NOT working, do not continue to use it. That is an exersise in futility - and, according to some, the definition of insanity. Try something ELSE.

I guess if I have to simplify my attitude it would simply be that in most things goldfish - "Less is More".

Less Nitrates and other water inclusions

Less food (than most - the majority of people tend to feed too much - I am one of the worst offenders in this!)

Less medications

Less worrying

LEss fish in a tank

More: Filtration and water changes.

Always use a topical treatment FIRST - go to the medications as a second choice. Tub to tub is great. UV is your friend.

If something is NOT working, do not continue to use it. That is an exersise in futility - and, according to some, the definition of insanity. Try something ELSE.

You are so right daryl.. is a uv really worth getting??? i have always been thinking about it !!

Guest eric2601

UV is effective as long as your GPH flow is within the confines of what you wish to kill - All 7 of my tanks are set with an independant pumping system that flows at a 70 gallon per hour rate - - the rating to get down to affecting Protozoa etc- - if your flow rate is to high you are only affecting algae and alike - The bulbs are not cheap - in my setup they are $70 a piece- 2 per tank per year....replacement.

UV is effective as long as your GPH flow is within the confines of what you wish to kill - All 7 of my tanks are set with an independant pumping system that flows at a 70 gallon per hour rate - - the rating to get down to affecting Protozoa etc- - if your flow rate is to high you are only affecting algae and alike - The bulbs are not cheap - in my setup they are $70 a piece- 2 per tank per year....replacement.

Just wondering, can UV kill ick????

Yes, but the free floating one though. I had two tanks with ick. Ick in the UV-tank disappeared within 4 days while the other took 7 day. but this is a one time experience. I am not sure my theory is correct or not.

Edited by small_ranchu

I forgot to add that I am a strong believer in many small water changes rather than few large ones. I very rarely do a water change that is over 20%.(But I have to do them all the time)

I find that my fish are more active when I do this, and they act healthier in general. It might have something to do with the continuing but gradual "water changing" that their ancestors experienced in the wild. (Rivers, streams feeding into ponds/lakes, etc.) I suspect that fish are better suited to it in general.

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

i believe in understocking i have 3 fancies in my 60 until recently when i had to put 3 shubs in there due to an emergency every one gets the same amount of food as everyone is know hand trained to be fed, i also believe in plants not only cause they look pretty but they are a place for the fish to hide/rest and provide a healthy food source. Making your own gel food you know exactly what is going in to it and a varied diet is also important

I forgot to add that I am a strong believer in many small water changes rather than few large ones. I very rarely do a water change that is over 20%.(But I have to do them all the time)

I find that my fish are more active when I do this, and they act healthier in general. It might have something to do with the continuing but gradual "water changing" that their ancestors experienced in the wild. (Rivers, streams feeding into ponds/lakes, etc.) I suspect that fish are better suited to it in general.

Sorry Lumpy but I am gonna completely disagree with you AND for the same reason you gave! My advice is BIG water changes! Do not be afraid to change ALOT of water. I do a MINIMUM of 50% EVERY WEEK and often MORE than 50%!!!! Rivers & streams are CONSTANTLY changing!

Also while doing the BiG water changes really dig all into your gravel & get ALL the "ickies" outta there that you can. The beneficial bacteria lives on & in EVERYTHING in the tank, it'll be ok & level right out!!

((Another good piece of advice is if you don't have a Python siphoning system, Get one.....if you can't afford one, Save up for one! It's a great help in keeping water changes up to par & also for keeping the substrate nice and clean!!))

Edited by Jeana727

That's okay, I never mind a little contradiction and debate. :)

I'm pretty sure the total amount of water being replaced per week is still about the same either way. If there are major problems, I do not hesitate to do a big water change (Explaining my "Rarely over 20%") I also keep all my tanks barebottom, minimizing the amount of vaccuming necessary. The filter takes care of most of the poo.

Rivers and streams are constantly changing, but it is the approximate same water parameters throughout. All of the water flowing through is already filled with healthy bacteria.

I was also referring to streams/rivers feeding into bodies of water containing fish. Such ponds and lakes have constant, but smooth change.

There isn't really a clear, winning point, but at least we have both stated our opinions and our reasoning.

A continuous water change system is actually an ideal setup. I have been working to set up tanks with a continuous flow - calculated to give about a 100% turnover every 6 days. Many small changes thtoughout the week is close to that ideal.

Most of us, however, do not have the luxury of taking the time to change water every day - or even every other day. Therefore - to get the amount of water volume you want changed - or need changed depending on your particular tank - you need to change large amounts when you DO change.

Explained?

You are BOTH right. :)