Speech: Animal Cruelty Doesn't Include Fish.

Carmel

Hey guys I need your help.

I am writing a speech of my interest for my english class.

The topic I chose for it was how the ASPCA and other animal cruelty organizations does not care much about the cruelty to fish or other animals that are a minority (reptiles and ect.).

I was hoping you guys can help me on some points that I can bring up, such as things people do to fish that might be considered animal cruelty that people do but do not get punished or noticed for. Maybe stories or things you've seen, some complaints and proofs that the organizations do not care about fish. We all love animals and especially fish on this site and I thought it would be perfect to ask you guys to help me out.

Thanks so much!!

Also you can tell me things that might be good to say in my speech.

-Michelle

I wont be much help to u, but I noticed that too, on one of the shows they took away a dog and there was a tank (30-40gallons I think) with about 20-30 goldfish and they barely even looked at it, it didnt even have a filter or anything and the fish werent exactly tiny, they were basically swimming on top of each other. Fish r living things too and deserve the same attention as a dog or cat.

Edited by Shamu23

Guest eric2601

In NYC the ASPCA has taken on fish cases-

You may wish to point out that countries, such as Italy, have made it a severe crime to place a fish in a goldfish bowl - Seriously - Note the article I have included:

Rome Bans Goldfish Bowls | Printer friendly version

ITALY: October 26, 2005

ROME - The city of Rome has banned goldfish bowls, which animal rights activists say are cruel, and has made regular dog walks mandatory in the Italian capital, the town's council said on Tuesday.

The classic spherical fish bowls are banned under a new by-law which also stops fish or other animals being given away as fairground prizes. It comes after a national law was passed to allow jail sentences for people who abandon cats or dogs.

"It's good to do whatever we can for our animals who in exchange for a little love fill our existence with their attention," said Monica Cirinna, the councillor behind the by-law.

"The civilisation of a city can also be measured by this," she told Rome daily Il Messaggero.

The newspaper reported that round bowls caused fish to go blind. No one at Rome council was available to confirm this was why they were banned. Many fish experts say round bowls provide insufficient oxygen for fish.

Animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, said Rome had gone further protecting fish than anywhere else in the world and gave Cirinna its "International Humanitarian Award".

"Rome stands out for recognizing that fish are interesting individuals who deserve our respect and compassion every bit as much as dogs and cats and other animals," said Karin Robertson, with PETA's "Fish Empathy Project".

In July 2004, parliament passed a law setting big fines and jail terms for people who abandon pets and since then local governments have added their own animal welfare rules ,many of which will be difficult to police.

The northern city of Turin passed a law in April to fine pet owners up to 500 euros ($598) if they do not walk their dogs at least three times a day.

The new Rome by-law requires owners to regularly exercise their dogs, and bans them from docking their pets' tails for aesthetic reasons.

It also provides legal recognition for cat lovers who provide food for the colonies of strays, who live everywhere from the city's ancient Roman ruins to modern office car parks.

Animal rights groups estimate 150,000 pet dogs and 200,000 cats are abandoned in Italy every year.

You may wish to support the fact that these are feeling aninals - The video links I have included will show you a fish that demands and loves human attention, has special places he likes toi be tickled and caressed - I am not saying for you to do what you see - this is a very special case - but show that Punch comes to me - not vice versa - loving the attention....

They have feeling,; and they know when it is me that comes to the tank or my partner - especially Punch.....with a four chambered heart just like us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUhgGhi7Wfw

The study below may also change some misnomers :

and concerning memory: This article may alter your thoughts:

http://nootropics.com/intelligence/smartfish.html

Goldfish pass memory test

By Mark Henderson,

Science Correspondent

IT IS time for the scales to fall from our eyes: scientists have claimed not only that goldfish have a memory span of up to three months, but that they can also tell the time.

The fish, previously believed to have a memory of just a few seconds, can distinguish between different times of day and can also be taught to follow a routine, according to research.

Scientists at Plymouth University have successfully trained the fish to collect food at particular times of day, showing the popular notion of the three-second memory to be very fishy indeed.

The findings add to a growing body of evidence that fish are much more sentient and intelligent than had generally been assumed.

Recent research has suggested that fish feel pain when they are caught on a hook, can be manipulative and socially aware, have long memories and are able to recognise their shoal-mates.

The research, led by Phil Gee of Plymouth University, has added a sophisticated body clock to the piscine intellect. In his experiment, goldfish were placed in a bowl in which they were fed only when they pressed a lever. The fish rapidly learnt that pressing the lever produced a food reward.

Once they had been trained in this way, the researchers set up the lever to work for just one hour a day. The fish soon became wise to this, and learnt to press the lever at the same time every day to feed. "The fish worked out that if they hit the lever around that time, they would get some food," Dr Gee said. "Their activity around the lever increased enormously just before the set hour when their food was dispensed.

"But then if no food came out, they stopped pressing the lever when the hour was up. It shows that they are probably able to adapt to changes in their circumstances, like any other small animals and birds."

The study could have implications for fish farming, Dr Gee said. He suggests that it should be possible to train trout and salmon to swim to feeding stations on certain signals, making it easier for farmers to monitor and harvest their stock.

post-14541-1197545014.jpg

The most obvious one I can think of is boiling live lobsters, can you imagine if that was done to a mammal!!?!

Also, look into the practices of commercial fishing vessels and things like gill nets and bycatch, some nasty stuff there too. An example I've seen myself is seabirds and turtles who drown in nets, this takes a loooooong time for these animals, it's really heartbreaking. But aside from that, most fishermen don't try to hard to minimize the suffering of their catch. I dont' think they're necessairly cruel, but that they just don't think about the pain they inflict.

you can mention the stupid humans on youtube who swallow them and shock them and generally abuse the poor fish. One video I saw actually had someone swallowing several goldies and them vomiting them back up.........for fun. What is wrong with those people? What is wrong with youtube for allowing it to be displayed?

Check out Mygoldfishislumpy's thread about a kid at her school that's a really terrible and recent case. Here's the link. There's a city in Italy that has out lawed keeping goldfish in fish bowls. It's considered cruel confinement there. I'll google it to find out which city it is. Sadly there are only a hand full of places that take animal cruelty towards fish serious.

One thing you'll want to refrain from in any public speaking is using "I, me, my, or myself". Use the facts to convey your points of view without interjecting your opinions. Also practice your speach several times before you ever stand infront of the class. If you pretty much memorize it before you get up there it will help keep you from pausing and saying really annoying things like "uh" and "um" over and over again. That gets really old fast for your listeners and many of them will start to tune you out and miss your message. I know that's what I do when a speaker starts to do that. Try to keep from being monotone also. Have you ever tried to listen to a dissertation by Ben Stein? LOL

Just another tip, that I find helpful, In your copy of the speech insert (SLOW DOWN) every once and a while, I have a tendency to speak quickly in everyday conversations and once you compound that with nerves and reading something I am like Speed Racer. The prompt to slow down really does help. Good luck with your speech!

While many humans have an innate sense of empathy and concern for animals, that is neither a universal feeling nor is it inclusive of all species. One of the problems in discussing this problem is where, in the zoologic chain, do you draw the line. If you defend the goldfish, why not the live lobsters in the tiny tank, etc., etc. I think an approach that might have a more general appeal is that of responsibility.... that is, once you have decided to "keep" the cow, horse, dog, cat, fish, lizard, etc., for whatever reason (whether profit or pleasure), you have undertaken the solemn if not practical obligation to also provide that creature with a healthy safe environment.

Creatures that have not had a long history of being anthropomorphized are at a great disadvantage in terms of treatment by humans. Perhaps a few more movies about Nemo or TV shows about SpongeBob and his friends will help create a generation of adults with more empathy for such creatures.

Oliver

you can mention the stupid humans on youtube who swallow them and shock them and generally abuse the poor fish. One video I saw actually had someone swallowing several goldies and them vomiting them back up.........for fun. What is wrong with those people? What is wrong with youtube for allowing it to be displayed?

i know. anyone who thinks animal cruelty is fun/funny has serious problems and should get help

Thank you soo much for all the replies! All these informations are so great and I will be using a lot of them and research them into more depths. I am still gathering informations so keep the awesome articles and stories coming! Thank you also for the great tips on how to present my speech. <33

Thank you so much again, love you guys.

- Michelle

edit: spelling errors

Edited by Carmel

You could mention something about feeder fish?

How you are allowed to feed live fish to other fish.

We wouldn't feed a live dog to another live dog would we?

I don't think this really counts. That is not animal cruelty, it is the natural food chain. If some animals did not eat other animals, they would certainly die. Some animals, such as cats, are strictly carnivorous, so must eat other animals in order to survive.

I believe morally it is wrong to mistreat animals. Although I am also a God fearing man, I do believe man (yes women too! LOL) has dominion over the earth. Therefore an animals purpose is what it is here for. If animals are bred for fighting, then fight they shall. If an animal is bred for food, then eat we shall. Honestly, I if I wanted to get serious, I would say that domesticating animals is harmful. As we take away the natural instincts of wild life and make it helpless. As it is dependant on us, and yet we deprive them from their natural instincts. For instance, cats. They are pretty much just to sit around, while you care for them. They need to be outdoors, and so you let them out. Oops, they got ran over by a car. Or you neuter them so you can keep them in doors where they no longer feel like animals. Because from human understanding, it is looked as safe for the animal, all for the greater good. The animal's best interest. But you are taking away so much from them. How about fish? Sure the rule is 10 gallons per fish, but does nature limit them to 10 gallons per fish? No way! Because we are selfish, we keep them in captivity for our own personal entertainment. So when I hear of animal rights, I picture a dog taking his owner to court and it makes me laugh. It isn't right that animals get mistreated, but it isn't right to chastise others when we are technically not so different.

The End.

Faust

Personally, I think a lot of "fish cruelty" stems from people's ignorance. Many don't think to research before they buy and just trust in what the pet store or those they know have told them, regardless of whether of not it is true.

Thank you so much for the great responses!

comet182 I was actually thinking of pointing that out to my class.

I was thinking of starting the speech by asking the class "How many of you have had a fish?" pause for raise of hands "How many of you has had a fish that has died within a month?" of course many of them will keep their hands raised. Then I will explain to them that fish are capable of living for a long time and they usually die because not a lot of people are educated on how to care for a fish properly. And because people are not informed about this there are a lot of animal cruelty to them that people do without realizing it. And I am still working on saying other things.. =)

THANKS! Big hugs to all of you!!

-Michelle