First Lot Of Eggs-not Ready For Them!

Guest shineangel

Guest shineangel

my first lot of eggs have been laid - all over the tank, so it seems Dean is a perfectly happy working gal (sorry dean is a girl) but so far no milting from Pearl the dad-do they always milt?

im not at all ready for eggs and have nothing set up (frankly i thought they were too young at this stage and also being in a cold room in winter time i figured they would have slowed down-though we have had a LOT of rain the past week) so this time around im sorry to say i need to get rid of them :( -how do i go about this?

any help gratefully recieved

The fish will be happy to eat as many as they can - they are a good source of protien. The ones that are not fertile will turn fungusy - all white and fuzzy - within a day or so - and you should simply wipe them off with your aquarium sponge and vacumn them up. You will need to do a water change - probably a fairly large one if there are lots of eggs. The eggs release lots of "waste" and if the fish are eating them, they make lots more waste which can drive up your ammonia production in the tank.

If the eggs are fertile they will be almost invisible - but stick to all kinds of surfaces. Within 4-6 days you may even find tiny fry in the tank - maybe. They are REALLY little and hard to see! If you wish, you can carefully scoop them out with a cup and try to raise them. If not - they are still more protien for the adults - protien that will allow them to set aside the needed "building materials" for spawning in the future.

A male does not have to release visible milt (like white milk in the tank) for him to fertilize the eggs. Some males never seem to really try very hard and, if you looked for visible signs of mating, would seem to be duds. They are not all duds though! Some of my best daddy fish rarely can be seen doing anything - they do not even chase the females all that actively - yet they successfully produce 1000s of babies. So - do not assume you have no fertile eggs.

You do not ever have to raise anything you are not prepared to raise. Raising fry is difficult - and takes time and effort. It should be an active decision.

:)

I just had goldfish breed right now as well. I tried to keep my room colder than the warmer months and yet they still mated. But I decided to have them and they are doing great! I can't wait to see what I get. Even though I am not ready to have them, I am sure things will work out and get a large enough tank for them. Well, good luck to you.

Guest shineangel

thank you Daryl and Faust. :)

the eggs are very white so im guessing not fertile. i did a big water change last night after clearing up as much as i could and i did see them nibbliing at some plants i obviously didn't get too.

now i know they are ready willing and able to have babies i shall bet set up for next time, i don't like the thought of having to get rid of them :( .

thank you Daryl and Faust. :)

the eggs are very white so im guessing not fertile. i did a big water change last night after clearing up as much as i could and i did see them nibbliing at some plants i obviously didn't get too.

now i know they are ready willing and able to have babies i shall bet set up for next time, i don't like the thought of having to get rid of them :( .

I hear you. I just had babies that barely became free swimming as of tuesday. Then guess what? I find that they bred again and before I left work today, I seen eggs all over the bottom of the tank. Guess what I am going to do? Leave them. Because I don't have any room unless I do the other small tank. But I don't think I will. I might though.... Nah, nevermind. They will do it again. LOL Hopefully I will get this 80 gallon tank this lady wants to be rid of within the next month or so. I dunno. LOL I should get back to work.