Sign in to follow this  
arabpaso

Goldfish Article In Equus Magazine

fishorse.jpg

This article from 11/07 says to put gf in your stock tank to eat mosquitos and algae but is it ok for your horses/cows to drink water with fish poop (ammonia) in it??? :o I've heard of this recommendation before but I don't know. :idont I guess you'd clean it out periodically and the volume of water they hold is usually quite large but still. And is it good for the gf to swim in animal saliva, bits of hay/grain/dirt, etc?

I am not an expert, but this doesn't seem fair to the goldfish.

I don't think it can be to beneficial for the goldfish to live in that type of environment.

They better provide filtration out there for those poor goldies!!! :tantrum:veryangry:

I don't like the sound of it either. At the very least it must be traumatizing to the goldfish...

I think it's gross for both the horses and the fish! Besides, wouldn't you still get a large amount of algae growing in there anyway?

If this was really true, none of our goldfish aquariums would have algae problems!!!

Not only is it gross, but 5-10, maybe more goldfish would be a bit much for the average-sized stock tank after a year or so.

I've heard of horse-owners doing that before. It's not too bad if they keep a very clean horse trough..... The stocking recommendations are a little off though. I wonder how big of a trough they are referring to??? A 300 may be alright with 5 commons, but I wouldn't push it...... On the other hand, why would I want my horse to drink fishy poo poo water? That can't be good for the horse. I don't even let my dog drink from the holding tanks in the fish room...... :unsure:

I think some people try to argue that in the wild, there are animals that live in the water and horses drink of that water and yada yada yada it's okay.

I don't know much about horses, but exactly how long do people go without cleaning the troughs out? Shouldn't it be done often enough so that you don't have an algae problem?

In regards to the writer of that article, I would imagine someone wasn't exactly an A, B, or C student. That information does not sound very good at all. If it is true to put animals in the water as if it were ok, then I would recommend betta. As they don't make as much waste as a goldfish, nor do they need oxygen in the water. But it still doesn't sound fair to the other animals. I dunno.

At most of the horse farms I've volunteered and ridden at, we've used goldfish without any issues. We don't buy the baby goldies, only the 5"+ ones, and we keep about five in a 100 gallon stock tank. The horses drink the water pretty quickly, and new water is added in a few times a day, so the water is almost always pretty clean. It definitely cuts down on the mosquito larvae around the barns.