Breeding Question! Experienced Breeders Help

Faust

Just a quick question. I cannot find any broadtail goldfish anywhere! So I was wondering if there is a way to breed into broadtail? For instance, I am only familiar with breeding betta. I know that with betta, if you have super delta, there is a chance to get halfmoon. And halfmoon will eventually (if you breed with the loss of the half) give you crowntails. You know what I mean. When certain ones begin losing the halfmoon trait with ridged edges and keep doing it to get crowntails. Anyways, sometimes to restore a more solid fin type, one would breed with the plakat bettas (short fins) to get strong finnage again. I was wondering if that can work with short finned ryukins and long finned fantails. Just curious for future breeding. My goldfish have grown really big quite fast and have already mated. I can't wait to show you all. My calico, black moor and my red/white ryukin that you can see from my faulty signature. Sorry to all of you, I have tried to resize the calico photo. Although I am proud to own this ryukin, I did not mean to have the photo so large. I tried using photobucket and resizing through the signature option to fix. Maybe it was meant to be. I dunno.

EDIT: Signature fixed. Thanks Koko! :-D

----Faustino

Edited by Faust

I know that with betta, if you have super delta, there is a chance to get halfmoon. And halfmoon will eventually (if you breed with the loss of the half) give you crowntails. You know what I mean. When certain ones begin losing the halfmoon trait with ridged edges and keep doing it to get crowntails.

Isn't halfmoon a latter-developed breed than crowntail? :rolleyes: The number of branchings in a standard crowntail is only up to secondary, whereas halfmoon can be up to quaternary. Good crowntails do need to have a 180 degrees spread but it doesn't mean that it necessarily comes from halfmoon trait, rather that the reduced webbing allows for greater degree of spread.

Anyway, I think breeding goldfish takes quite a bit more time & involves a lot more generations to achieve the effect you desired. If you were to set out to make your own broadtail strain, I would imagine it would take years just to get the basic shape then years more to perfect. Not to mention the large amount of resource, equipment, & space needed to breed goldfish.

I have been breeding champion broadtail to broadtail - and getting only about 10% broadtails. Of these I have been lucky to get only about 1 in 1000 that is worth keeping..... Out of 4000 some odd fry from broadtail to broadtail I have kept only 4 fish - 3 are broadtails and 1 is regular.

Goldfish genetics are substantially more complicated and convoluted than most other living creatures on this Earth.... it is a REAL challenge to get any fish worth raising - much less ones that are going to be show fish - and with desired traits.

If you are interested in Broadtail Ryukins - nice ones, Dandy ORandas has had many gorgeous fish in the past months. I bought a drop dead gorgeous fellow a few months back from him.... He just got a new shipment of fish in, but I have no idea how many broadtails he may have. I can almost guarantee that he has some - if not quite a few - very nice ones. He ships and is honest and the prices are usually very fair.

This is what I got a few months ago:

post-27-1197163994.jpg

I have been breeding champion broadtail to broadtail - and getting only about 10% broadtails. Of these I have been lucky to get only about 1 in 1000 that is worth keeping..... Out of 4000 some odd fry from broadtail to broadtail I have kept only 4 fish - 3 are broadtails and 1 is regular.

Goldfish genetics are substantially more complicated and convoluted than most other living creatures on this Earth.... it is a REAL challenge to get any fish worth raising - much less ones that are going to be show fish - and with desired traits.

If you are interested in Broadtail Ryukins - nice ones, Dandy ORandas has had many gorgeous fish in the past months. I bought a drop dead gorgeous fellow a few months back from him.... He just got a new shipment of fish in, but I have no idea how many broadtails he may have. I can almost guarantee that he has some - if not quite a few - very nice ones. He ships and is honest and the prices are usually very fair.

This is what I got a few months ago:

Wow! That fish is beautiful! So I guess more trouble than they are worth then. Especially for someone who doesn't have a pond to attempt such a feat. Yes, it is true that the halfmoon is a latter-development, though I was just explaining how in my thoughts, I would expect the broadtail to be as rare to get as the halfmoon. Usually with Halfmoon to halfmoon betta, you might end up with less than a %25 chance of having true halfmoons. Considering betta have up to the same about of fry or eggs as the goldfish, I was just tossing all that out there. I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression and believe that I haven't read all that there is to on the betta fish. 4 years. But goldfish are just so strange to me. The fact that there are many types out there and they can all breed with eachother. It is fascinating.