How Does A Goldfish Sleep?

alanworm

A goldfish will hover, still, when it sleeps. It will seek out a place in the tank where the currents are the least and hover, or, if they can, find a soft plant to jam themselves into. Some hover or even sit on the bottom.

The fact that a goldfish sits, still, near the bottom of the tank leaves them open to attack by various noctornal predators - like the common pleco. The Pleco, a "cleaner", assumes that any "meat" sitting still on the bottom is "food" and will eat a goldfish alive during the night.

Because a goldfish does not have eyelids it can be startled and awakened by lights turning on suddenly. It is definately NOT a good idea to turn lights on and off at night. I have a rule - once the lights go off at night they are NOT turned on for ANY reason except an emergency. The fish get the dark for sleeping.

STartling your fish during a sleep period is stress. STress can open up pathways for attacks of disease and parasites.

If your fish live in a room that must have the lights on at night or turned on and off, consider covering the tank with a light obscuring cloth when the fish "go to sleep".

If your fish do not get enough "dark" time, you may notice them going to sleep even in the day.

My ranchu Pip likes to squeeze himself into the hollow rock ornament to sleep. I say squeeze because he has gotten so big and fat in the 9 months that I have had him while the other 2, Boggles and Dorothy, sit on the bottom together at the other end of the tank. My commons and comet like to huddle around a hollow log ornament but are too big to actually fit inside it.

• Admin

This cute big guy now, sleeps on his side. this is the only fish in my tank that will lean to one side and go to sleep, like he has a water pillow. My other fish always just hover in the water not moving much when they fall asleep. :D

2 of my girls huddle in the corner together, the 2 boys at the other end of the tank in the plants and Mika sleeps tilted towards the light in the lounge or kitchen in the middle of the tank. They are still in the same places in the morning.

mine sleep separately in the tank in the corners or the middle of the tank but my little pearl scale sleeps in my big bushy hygrophilia it is really cute to watch

I provide some glasses on their sides for my fish to "park" themselves in. Bonbon likes to sleep in one, Piggy goes in with crumpet sometimes and Gibby sleeps in a slanted glass when she gets a little floaty. The glass helps her to stay under water.

I've noticed that my fish also can be disturbed from their sleep by motion. If I walk in to the room, they all wake up.

my common and comet sleep side by side, right beside the filter, i work nights so i use a towel to cover the tank during the day, so the light dose not keep me awake lol

i also have a smaller comet that sleeps on his own in the plant pot.

I am fully convinced that my fish are on college sleep hours. I have not found them sleeping at any point when I am awake. They usually sleep for about an extra little bit depending on the time of day when I wake up. They are lazy, so I let them sleep :P

or at least I try to convince myself that they are on my sleep schedule because if not I feel so bad for having the light on for so many hours a day...###### college work.