Ho-hum

oliver_black

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: - no the land is just fields - we do not live there.... YET. As soon as we finalize retirement, we will move. We are designing a house right now. Once we get there, I do not expect we will keep any livestock. It requires more consistant care than I wish to give.... and I would never want to "sell" anything. We will put in hardwood trees (25 acres of walnuts, put in now probably will yeild over 10 million dollars for our kids (grandkids?) in 40-50 years....) and fruit and nut trees and hay..... I expect we will continue to lease the other acreage to the local farmer as long as he wants it - but he is over 90, so I expect that will not be too much longer. Corn is selling well for ethanol - and we have already signed a lease to the local group that consolidates for fuel. We also are looking into windmills.....

Good ideas on what to put on the new farm land. Ethanol is starting to make huge leaps and bounds and def. has a chance to be the fuel of the future if we don't make enough progress with hydrogen fuel cells. As far as windmills go I have data around here somewhere from a paper I recently did for an Environmental class on how beneficial they are. If I can find the paper I will share it with you.

Brandon

Oliver, I seriously do not know what the big deal is about a tank in the house. I mean it's not like you're hanging out in bars or running around with loose women. It's a fish tank - an innocuous hobby for Heaven's sake.... Our aquarium club is filled with men who LOVE to raise fish. It's a good hobby, not a bad habit...... Why is she so against it?

Oh well, you force me to confess. A little over 40 years ago, in our first house, I usurped about half the basement space for 5 or 6 thirty gallon fish tanks containing tropical fish. They were equipped with filters, heaters, gravel, lights, plants and a varied assortment of colorful, healthy fish. All went well until my job required me to do much overtime and some extensive travel. Unable to tend the fish, they began to die off for one reason or another. My wife with our first 2 kids in the tot stage (including 1 at the terrible twos stage) was now carrying twins, and thus had more than enough to do without tending Tetras and Angel fish and Danios. The fact is, she grew enormous. It is only a partial joke to say she needed maternity clothes just 2 weeks after the twins were conceived. (I think the combined weight of my twin sons was between 15 to 16 pounds). So, in my absences, the fish were dying off and the well-fed snails were multiplying. Meanwhile the pumps were pumping, the filters gurgling and the heaters arcing internally.

(Side note... back then, heaters were quite terrible and unreliable. Often they would oscillate on and off when the water was at the preset temperature, thus broadcasting a radio wave which happened to be at the frequency range of the then home TV sets. You could tell when a heater was malfunctioning by the wavy black lines appearing on the TV screen). Anyway, back to my confession... my inability to tend to the tanks and the odoriferous mess they were becoming ultimately caused me to trash the entire set-up. Thus, peace prevailed once more; I ceased feeling guilty because I couldn't tend the fishies, and the electric bill returned to normal. Since a woman never forgets and rarely forgives completely, you can perhaps understand her coolness to my having an indoor gf tank now.

Oliver

Oliver,

With the advances in GF tanks and the equipment that goes along with them...your electrical bills would barely be affected. Heaters are nearly always reliable. Filters are quiet. If you provide solid information with loads of proof and info. to back your statement I think you just might have a chance.

Best of Luck.

This is a fun thread. Oliver I think you need daryl to come over and befriend your spouse over home-made chocolate spritz- I believe she could talk her round to just about anything and certainly fish keeping, I really do :D

And daniels idea on what to do with the pool over winter may well turn out just fine -they survived last winter in the same way after all .

Meanwhile -I would LOVE SOME toffee spritz :please

Seldom have I enjoyed reading a thread as much as I have this one! As someone who tends to lurk and read rather than post, I felt compelled to join in. My spouse also looks askance at my wet hobby, but after nearly twenty years together, we've accepted the 'oddities' in each other and just marvel that anyone can enjoy doing such 'activities'. Oliver, I hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I have, and look forward to future posts from you.

Daryl, having read your various posts on this forum, I concur with other members, you are awesome!

Polar Bear dipping is actually quite fun - if for no other reason than to prove you can do it. I suppose women do have the advantage there, though.....

Many many many koi keepers in our area/club do not have any "indoor" fish - they put their fish to "sleep" for the winter sometime in November and do not see them until spring. Sometimes I think that could be kind of nice - no water changes, no feeding...... the trouble is, I see no lack of worrying.

Just look at it this way - you do not have to do any work on the fish pond during the winter. You are free to concentrate on other, equally important matters like picking the fuzz balls off your sweater and inventing perpetual motion.

:)

Oliver,

With the advances in GF tanks and the equipment that goes along with them...your electrical bills would barely be affected. Heaters are nearly always reliable. Filters are quiet. If you provide solid information with loads of proof and info. to back your statement I think you just might have a chance.

Best of Luck.

Ahh, Brandon. I see by the sidebar that you are of relatively tender age and thus probably not married or at least not married long enough for the early rapture to have thinned out. While it would be too cruel for me to disallusion you, permit me to at least say that, "You don't yet know of what you speak." lol

Oliver

This is a fun thread. Oliver I think you need daryl to come over and befriend your spouse over home-made chocolate spritz- I believe she could talk her round to just about anything and certainly fish keeping, I really do :D

And daniels idea on what to do with the pool over winter may well turn out just fine -they survived last winter in the same way after all .

Meanwhile -I would LOVE SOME toffee spritz :please

The only spritz I know of comes from an old-fashioned seltzer bottle, so you have me at a disadvantage. I do plan to have a small indoor tank in my computer room for use as a QT tank. I mentioned this to my wife a few weeks ago and got the expected response. My plan is to proceed to create the pond from the pool in early Spring and thus overwhelm her objections, relying in great measure on the enthusiasm of my grandkids when they visit.

As far as the present fish population goes, you are on the right track. At the moment, there is an inch or so of snow on the pool cover, and the wind chill factor is around 15 degrees. There is little I can do to change their environment now, so nature will take its course. I will start my project in 3 or 4 months with whatever survives. I had thought about pulling back the cover, but decided to do nothing to alter their environment from last Winter.

Oliver

Seldom have I enjoyed reading a thread as much as I have this one! As someone who tends to lurk and read rather than post, I felt compelled to join in. My spouse also looks askance at my wet hobby, but after nearly twenty years together, we've accepted the 'oddities' in each other and just marvel that anyone can enjoy doing such 'activities'. Oliver, I hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I have, and look forward to future posts from you.

Daryl, having read your various posts on this forum, I concur with other members, you are awesome!

You have hit on the real secret of a lifelong partnership (I have avoided using the more restrictive term of "marriage"),

and that is the continued toleration of each other's "oddities" with a reasonable amount of patience, if not good humor.

Of course it is almost certain that the female in the relationship will claim credit for having the most tolerance, and it is the wise male who expresses agreement with that claim.

Oliver

Polar Bear dipping is actually quite fun - if for no other reason than to prove you can do it. I suppose women do have the advantage there, though.....

Many many many koi keepers in our area/club do not have any "indoor" fish - they put their fish to "sleep" for the winter sometime in November and do not see them until spring. Sometimes I think that could be kind of nice - no water changes, no feeding...... the trouble is, I see no lack of worrying.

Just look at it this way - you do not have to do any work on the fish pond during the winter. You are free to concentrate on other, equally important matters like picking the fuzz balls off your sweater and inventing perpetual motion.

The idea of jumping into freezing water just to see if one's heart can regain its beating after the shock is not my idea of fun.

I guess leaving my fishies to survive the Winter in the 5+ feet pool depths is a similar approach to the Koi folks. That reminds me, does the algae in my pool continue survive and serve as nourishment if any want a snack?

Iin Wintertime, I have taken to contemplating my navel (which has become more and more visible over the years). Fuzz-ball plucking is not nearly as productive as finding and snagging white Wally the Westie hairs off my clothing. I gave up working on the perpetual motion machine... I was losing too much sleep watching my gadget to see if it would stop.

Oliver

I hope your gadget keeps going for a long time, yet. I intend to stick around to annoy my grandkids for as long as I possibly can!

As far as the algae in the pond - yes - and no. Yes, the algae will survive - go dormant, actually. And, no, it will not feed the fish for they will not be eating. Being cold blooded, they are incapable of digesting any food when the temps drop so low. If they do actually eat when it is too cold, they can become badly constipated and actually die. About the time the algae greens up, the fish will awaken and feed upon it!

One the the earliest lessons I taught my hubby was how to say "yes, Dear." That is now his instant response to just about any controversy that enters our partnership. He is well trained. He knows that he will NEVER be right, NEVER win and NEVER truly express his opinon, so he does not even try, anymore. He simply agrees with me and then goes and does what he wishes, anyway. ;)

One the the earliest lessons I taught my hubby was how to say "yes, Dear." That is now his instant response to just about any controversy that enters our partnership. He is well trained. He knows that he will NEVER be right, NEVER win and NEVER truly express his opinon, so he does not even try, anymore. He simply agrees with me and then goes and does what he wishes, anyway. ;)

And he gets cookies.

I've got a whole lot of "yes Dear" for fresh homemade cookies myself. Need someone to use the "yes Dear" on.

Being right is overrated if the option is fresh cookies and sidewalks clear of snow.

:D

Oh well, you force me to confess. A little over 40 years ago, in our first house, I usurped about half the basement space for 5 or 6 thirty gallon fish tanks containing tropical fish. .................................................. my inability to tend to the tanks and the odoriferous mess they were becoming ultimately caused me to trash the entire set-up. Thus, peace prevailed once more; I ceased feeling guilty because I couldn't tend the fishies, and the electric bill returned to normal. Since a woman never forgets and rarely forgives completely, you can perhaps understand her coolness to my having an indoor gf tank now.

Hmm, that sort of reminds me when my hubby was young and insisted that he HAD to have a boat. We got a boat, then he insisted that he needed a bigger boat, so we got a bigger boat and the maintenance nearly killed him. A job change necessitated that we get rid of said boat, but I still get a frown on my face every time he waxes poetic about having a boat. They're just floating money sinks, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, last summer I went out and bought him a canoe. We keep it in the backyard and there's nothing to break on it -- we haven't put a single dollar into it since we got it. We canoe all over the place in that thing and it's been great.

Maybe you could convince her to go with just ONE tank..... say like a 55 gallon -- something substantial, but not HUGE.

I treat my hubby to fresh baked coffee cake, banana bread, oatmeal bread, homemade jams and jellies and cookies, cakes, pies, eclairs etc every day. He complains if there is not something available.

One time when I was not home, he complained that the dish washer was broken - it was not. He just did not put any dishes INTO it, therefore no clean dishes "appeared" in the cupboard. The same for clean clothes. They are strewn on the floor and somehow appear, clean and folded and ironed in his drawers and closet.

I cannot complain, though. I have 18+ tanks, someone who will willingly carry water for me, anything I really want, and a cohert in any misdeeds that we may think up to do. Cannot beat that!!!

A farm is no fun by yourself, anyway.

I am designing a fish barn - it keeps getting bigger and bigger. The bigger his airplane hanger/workshop gets, the bigger my fish barn gets.....

That is how it works.

hahaha... did somebody say cookies??? :feedme

hmm i dunno if i would enjoy an involuntary "yes Dear"... nuff said more or being riled with a dissenting point of view. =) being drawn into a discussion sounds so much more entertaining... but what do i know? :D

Edited by Tinkokeshi

I was losing too much sleep watching my gadget to see if it would stop.

Oliver

If you're 74 and your gadget never stops, you've got something more exciting to do than pick lint. :ignore

It has taken many years, but I have taught my gadget restraint.

Oliver

I knew from the first that you and your hubby had achieved that nirvana of mutual tolerance and understanding marking a successful marriage. Too many couples do not realize how important "role playing" and the correct dialogue is in the prevention of

fatal spousal abuse. Let's face it, even the position of the toilet seat can be a motive unless that nirvana has been reached.

Oliver

And he gets cookies.

I've got a whole lot of "yes Dear" for fresh homemade cookies myself. Need someone to use the "yes Dear" on.

Being right is overrated if the option is fresh cookies and sidewalks clear of snow.

:D

Sounds as if someone has learned a lesson.... perhaps not too late.

Oliver

Maybe you could convince her to go with just ONE tank..... say like a 55 gallon -- something substantial, but not HUGE.

To be honest, I'm not sure I like the limitations on GF numbers inherent in an indoor tank. I have a feeling I would sooner explore a salt water or a reef tank if I were to seriously consider a 55 gallon tank.

Converting the pool to a twenty thousand gallon pond gives me the capability of having many more compatible varieties of gf than I could have in a tank.

Oliver

I treat my hubby to fresh baked coffee cake, banana bread, oatmeal bread, homemade jams and jellies and cookies, cakes, pies, eclairs etc every day. He complains if there is not something available.

A carbohydrate junkie! Are you after his life insurance????

One time when I was not home, he complained that the dish washer was broken - it was not. He just did not put any dishes INTO it, therefore no clean dishes "appeared" in the cupboard. The same for clean clothes. They are strewn on the floor and somehow appear, clean and folded and ironed in his drawers and closet.

Good for him. He has his role perfected, especially having you iron the clothes. Do you, in fact, iron his jeans and sock?

I cannot complain, though. I have 18+ tanks, someone who will willingly carry water for me, anything I really want, and a cohert in any misdeeds that we may think up to do. Cannot beat that!!!

Like I said earlier... a successful marriage is a balance of idiosyncrasies.

I am designing a fish barn - it keeps getting bigger and bigger. The bigger his airplane hanger/workshop gets, the bigger my fish barn gets.....

Are you married to a retired pilot?

That is how it works.

Yes, when it works.

Oliver

Hmmm... it looks like my reply and attached photo didn't come through on the message above.

Obviously, I blew it. I typed my message, inserted the photobucket address and clicked "upload."

Clearly that was wrong. Which of the 4 photbucket addrss options should I have used??

Oliver

Oliver, I always copy and paste the IMG file on photobucket and paste it in to my posting on the board. The IMG is the bottom one of the four on PhotoBucket. Try that and see if it works.

My pond is covered in ice right now. It's so depressing -- too depressing to get a picture. :(