Which Ones Are Hardiest?

Bijou

OK, I've gotten TWO pearlscale babies now. The first one died within 24 hours and the one I got last Tuesday is dying as we speak. This one seems to have very red gills but my water tests just fine. I changed the water 20% just before I put her in the tank last week. She never seemed quite as spunky as my other two babies (teles) so I suspected that something was wrong but HOPED nothing was. Are the pearlies less hardy? Which are the hardiest?

What are your readings? What is your current setup? How do you treat your water?

Where did you get those babies? How did the babies appear BEFORE you received them?

Personally, the pearlscales I have taken care of the past have done very well -- my exception was one I had last year that had chocked on a piece of substrate when I wasn't home and passed away. However, I find that they're generally about the same amount of care as other fancies.

I don't feel it's a tank problem. These two pearlies that died were never put into the same tank. One was in my BiOrb and the other was in my 5 gallon quarentine tank. My ammonia is always 0, NitrItes 0, and my Nitrates amazingly have never gone past 10 that I can recall, my pH is 8.2, temp is 78. I have 8 different tanks running right now. I treat with Prime and also do aquarium salt lightly. My tanks are extremely well airated (sp?).

Both of the pearlies were tiny babies that I got from a major chain pet store bought 1 month apart. I got each of them the very day they came in. That's not generally what I like to do but I have found that I've missed out on a lot of fishies that I wanted by waiting to see how well they do at the store.

AND....I just added more salt to the tiny pearlie and she perked up instantly. We'll see how she does but she was pretty down and out today, sitting at the bottom and not moving much at all. She never has (in the whole 6 days I've had her) seemed to be nearly as perky as my two baby teles. I think she really got some burned gills before I got her. They are SO red.

Edited by Bijou

Pearlscales ARE pretty hardy, but did you remove the alive pearlscale from the tank before you found out what killed your other fish? the hardiest of all goldies would have to be the single-tailed goldfish, but from the fancies, my guess if probably the fantail or maybe the oranda?

I think it depends on the fish itself while i agree single tails are usually the hardiest but the hardiest fancy i have ever owned was a blackmoor who survived dropsy twice and ich once.

I think it depends on the fish itself while i agree single tails are usually the hardiest but the hardiest fancy i have ever owned was a blackmoor who survived dropsy twice and ich once.

Yeah, i suppose it all depends on the breeding behind the fish, if it be for quality or quantity

Pearlscales ARE pretty hardy, but did you remove the alive pearlscale from the tank before you found out what killed your other fish?

Could you clarify the question please? If you are talking about the two pearlies, they were bought about a month apart and the first one died the first day I got it. Then a month later I got the second one, put it in a completely different tank and it died a week later. I got them from two different stores even. I don't think their deaths were related.

I took the SECOND dead one back today and got a THIRD pearlie. It is the brother or sister to the one that died overnight. The woman who is a manager at the store and who seems to know a lot about fish told me that she definitely finds the pearlies they get in to be a lot more sensitive than the others. She basically said that if I don't have luck with this one to hang it up!

I took the SECOND dead one back today and got a THIRD pearlie. It is the brother or sister to the one that died overnight. The woman who is a manager at the store and who seems to know a lot about fish told me that she definitely finds the pearlies they get in to be a lot more sensitive than the others. She basically said that if I don't have luck with this one to hang it up!

most likely they are giving you bad fish pearscale are quite hardy she is giving you false accusations by saying they are more sensitive than other goldies bubble eyes are more sensitive ones. Pet stores generally get the 'reject' fish which have been culled by breeders so they are not generally the healthiest

Dan, when a fish is 'culled' by breeders, it usually means it is killed by breeders.

It can be true that pearlscales are trickier to look after than some other fish. Their scales are more delicate and their shape makes them extra prone to balance and digestion issues. However I think with these pearls they had just arrived in the store probably in a very weak condition, pearlscales or not.

I'm sorry you lost these two Bijou. There are other hardier pearlscales to be found.

Edited by Trinket

• Admin

Good lesson to learn, never buy goldfish that have just arrived at a store. They are very stressed out from shipping. When Im looking for new fish the first ? I ask the LFS is when did these come in, and from how far away.

If its a LFS I been to alot I will ask them what there ph is since this can kill a goldfish or any fish fast, just a point off and not letting them get used to your water can make them have more problems.....

Also good to know is there filter system, if the other tanks are connected with them, if so look at the other tanks and see if you see any fish that is sick, if they are dont buy them unless your sure you can cure them.... :D

Good lesson to learn, never buy goldfish that have just arrived at a store. They are very stressed out from shipping. When Im looking for new fish the first ? I ask the LFS is when did these come in, and from how far away.

If its a LFS I been to alot I will ask them what there ph is since this can kill a goldfish or any fish fast, just a point off and not letting them get used to your water can make them have more problems.....

Also good to know is there filter system, if the other tanks are connected with them, if so look at the other tanks and see if you see any fish that is sick, if they are dont buy them unless your sure you can cure them.... :D

I think this post basically sums up my entire pearlie experience.

AND.......to top it all off, this new one leans to one side or the other. At first I just thought he was trying to LOOK somewhere but not true. AND he seems gaspy to me. He's going back today and I'll be more choosy next time I buy a pearlie!

Thanks everyone.

Dan, when a fish is 'culled' by breeders, it usually means it is killed by breeders.

i realized after i posted i shouldn't have used the word cull i was posting late at night and could not find the edit button thanks for clearing that up Imogen

never buy goldfish that have just arrived at a store

Great point! I learned this lesson (along with the importance of QT) when I put two cories in my tropical tank last spring - they had a disease which killed almost all my fish in 48 hours. When I went back to the store they told me the girl working wasn't supposed to have sold them to me because they had just come in. So now I've made a habit of 'scoping out' fish I'm planning on buying. At the lfs's around here fancies (other than the tiny ones) seem to not sell too fast so I'll usually keep an eye on one I like and check back a few times before buying it.

but the hardiest fancy i have ever owned was a blackmoor

Same goes for me. When I 'took over' my sister's goldie tank a few years back in was in very, very, very bad condition. Within 6 months the only survivor was 'big George' the moore who lived for years after.

Chrissy