My Lionfish Is Acting Weird

jamisskat

Hello everyone.. Yesterday I did a water change in my saltwater tank.. I noticed that my lionfish was floating at the top having a hard time moving around.. I ofcourse did a water test to find nothing bad.. today the lionfish is not floating but when he moves he makes jerking movments like hes having a hard time moving around...Ive had the fish for sometime now 8months I think Ive never had any problems I dont over feed him and hes always been healthy and happy.. The other things in my tank are 1 bubble coral.. 1 damsel..1 annenome.. any thoughts to his weird behaviour?.. is there any chance they could sting theirselfs?

Edited by jewels

could he have swallowed something he wasnt supposed to eat?

[/quote

I dunno.. he always eats from my hands.. crazy I know).. But Other than that he hides behind his rock and waits for his feedings....he's breathing fine.. just cant swim right..

my fishie Cinnamon did that once when he got his tail stuck up the intake tube of the filter, it went back to normal after about a week, Im not sure what else could be wrong with him. Is the anemone a poisonous kind?

my fishie Cinnamon did that once when he got his tail stuck up the intake tube of the filter, it went back to normal after about a week, Im not sure what else could be wrong with him. Is the anemone a poisonous kind?

I dunno.. The anneone is a purple tip.. they get very big.. I tried googling but found nothing.. hes still alive today.. breathing is fine but movement is still weird.. he acts paralized to put it in simple terms..

maybe the anemone is a poisonous kind, maybe he touched it on acciedent, there must be somone who knows something about that kind, did u try asking at ur lfs who sells them?

maybe the anemone is a poisonous kind, maybe he touched it on acciedent, there must be somone who knows something about that kind, did u try asking at ur lfs who sells them?

lol.. the place I got him is clueless!..

I had the same kind of problem with my Fantail. After I did a water change I noticed that he was just hanging around the bottom of the tank and kind of proping himself up against the filter. It turned out he was having swimming difficulties && as a result of this he went up to the big pond in the sky. :(

well hes still alive and doing fine other than he's half paralized.. im going to atempt to feed him with tongs of course cuz with him hurt or whatever his issue is he may try to defend himself.. this ought to be fun :unsure: ..I dunno hes breathing fine getting around something happend and whatever it was hurt him.. I feel bad.. if he dont eat all all the next week im going to uthenize the poor fish.. i love him alot.. we had a good understanding with eachother.. he trust me enough to eat from my hands and never flared his fins at me.. I dunno.. Im going to say a prayer for him.. I dont want to see him suffer :(

well hes still alive and doing fine other than he's half paralized.. im going to atempt to feed him with tongs of course cuz with him hurt or whatever his issue is he may try to defend himself.. this ought to be fun :unsure: ..I dunno hes breathing fine getting around something happend and whatever it was hurt him.. I feel bad.. if he dont eat all all the next week im going to uthenize the poor fish.. i love him alot.. we had a good understanding with eachother.. he trust me enough to eat from my hands and never flared his fins at me.. I dunno.. Im going to say a prayer for him.. I dont want to see him suffer :(

Arrr I know the feeling hun I couldnt watch my fantail suffer cause he was either not moving at all o jus swimming in circles && gettin no where...so i had to put him out of his misery && stop his suffering!!

But I hope it doesn't come to that with your fish :)

Jewels, I have contacted someone who is pretty much an expert on marine fish and knows alot about anemones, I saw one of his articles, it said something about a purple bubble tipped anemone, could that be it? I emailed him, hopefully he'll reply soon!

Jewels, I have contacted someone who is pretty much an expert on marine fish and knows alot about anemones, I saw one of his articles, it said something about a purple bubble tipped anemone, could that be it? I emailed him, hopefully he'll reply soon!

yup.. he's a purple tip.. alright.. and this place I got them both they shouldve told me..

hopefully i'll get a reply from that guy today, he should know.

Thanx Shamu!.. I really appreciate it alot.. btw the lionfish is still alive.. he seems to be fine but stil cant move around good yet.. im trying to feed him now..i'll keep you posted..