Orange Oranda Turning Black..

alanworm

i was just wondering .. my white and orange oranda is suddenly turning black ... now he looks like he has a very dirty face .. hahaha i love him ..but just wanna know why ? is it genetics or is it my water ??? at first just 1 or 2 scales was black then one side different parts of body turning black !!!

Ammonia will cause your fish to turn black in spots, does it kind of look like he's been rubbed with a newspaper? Is he in the tank with your pleco that has the ammonia reading?

he/she always have a black trim on the fins .. but now the goldfish has patches of black starting to show.... the whole fish actually is starting to have black ... no fin rot or wut so ever... and fins starting turning black from the bottom not from the tip ... lips turning black .. cheeks too .. yes he/she is in with the pleco ...

I would test your water, you might have had an ammonia spike.....could you get a pic of the fish please :D

Thats possiable If the ammonia spiked what your seeing now is Melanophore Migration.. blacken.. on the other hand fish do change colors it could be as simple as a color change.. like KoKo said, test your water to be sure..

^^ i tested my water

nitrate 20

nitrite -

ammonia -

it started off 3 small spots on the body ... then it started to have more on different places on the body ..then the face started to have black smuddges ...then fins getting black too !! he's like as if he worked in the oil industry !!! hahahahahaha

pictures for sure !! i'll take it today .... its the 2nd fish on my pictures at the bottom .. that is turning black .. he's the only one hahaha

Really ??that is really sad to hear!!! i have always kept the ammonia down and never had an ammonia spike that i know of.... because now more and more black is showing !!! i'm pretty sure the the last couple of weeks there werent any spikes ... cuz i've been changing water twice every week and uses prime.....i've had him for 2months now and just a week ago he's turning black... i have my tank running for a bit over a year already ...

i was also wondering ? can it be minerals in the water that makes him black ???? because ... its winter and the water is freezing cold ... i had to use hot water mix with warm water and add prime to it ... because even if its in room temperature its too cold for my goldies ... can that be one of the possible reason ???

i have a frd that looked at it said its just that its turnning black . because i first thought there was parasite and then looked at it..and think its just black pigment...

okay another 2 days more black developed...thats the first time i've seen a goldfish that has that much black appear ..every day there would be more and more black pop up !!! its really amazing !!! i don't think its an ammonia burn tho !!! its really cool in a way .. the middle of the fin is turning black ..the black is coming out from every part of the body

Hmmm sorry koko & others who thinks that alanworm's oranda got ammonia burn, but I tend to think he's just simply developing black :) due to the odd placement of the black pigments. It's is weird to have black coming in rather than out, though.

Alanworm, while keeping an eye on the ammonia levels, can you post pics of him periodically? I'd like to see this unusual transformation if it's proved to not be ammonia burn :yeah:

Hmmm sorry koko & others who thinks that alanworm's oranda got ammonia burn, but I tend to think he's just simply developing black :) due to the odd placement of the black pigments. It's is weird to have black coming in rather than out, though.

Alanworm, while keeping an eye on the ammonia levels, can you post pics of him periodically? I'd like to see this unusual transformation if it's proved to not be ammonia burn :yeah:

okay i toke the picture in with a darker color setting ... this one you should let you see the difference between the last time i posted the pictures which is only 3 days ago ! The face have grew more black... the body as well the cheeks ... and the front 'paw" have now have black stripes ... on the fins ...and black growing on the gill covers... i do not think its a ammonia burn !!! because that would mean the whole fish is burned pretty bad !!! but he still lives really happy !!! wuts your opinion??? the water i have tested yesterday ...the ammonia is less than 0.1 ... so i doubt the idea of ammonia ...

IMG_0409.jpgIMG_0407.jpg