Blue Mystery Snail

terisather

I did a little research on snails and found that Apple snails go well with GF, but all I could find at the pet store were Mystery Snails. So I went back and did some research on them and found that they are aka Apple Snails? Is this correct?

I will post the progress of my Blue Snail here, just to let all know how the little guy did with eating algae and living with my Oranda.

Yep, mystery snails are P. bridgesii usually. Which is a non-plant eating type of applesnail. If you want to know more applesnail.net is a great place to learn :)

Word of advice, these snails do not go well with the goldies that will eat anything that moves. Goldies will nip at the snails, causing undue stress and injury. They also do not eat algae unless they are starving. They prefer other foods, and they need a tank setup different from that of goldies in order to thrive.

I really wish fish store people would stop selling apple snails as algae control. Believe me, they do NOT do it. I can post a pic of my current snail tank to prove it. I have a green algae outbreak right now, the natural sunlight in the tank room has shifted and now my snail tank is green.

I have to agree with Michelle. I breed several types of snails one of them being p. bridgesii & you won't find one of them in my goldfish tanks, they are not compatible. Goldfish will pick at their tentacles, knock them off the glass and harass them until they are so stressed they lock up tight and die. The best companions/tank mates for goldfish are other goldfish and not too much else unfortunately & even that can be a challenge at times.

Yep i agree with everything said by Kat and Michelle i have had apple snails in with goldies before(when i first started keeping goldies) and they are often niped at and eventually die of starvation i lost something like 10apple snails in a period of 3 months buying one or two when they died.

Apple snails in my opinion are much better suited to either a snail only tank or a tank with some schooling tropicals such as guppies or tetras.

Hmmm, I must just be lucky....I've never had a problem with my goldies picking on my snails. Even when I go away and the goldies go without food for a few days they leave my snailies alone. Everyone gets along fine in my tank :thumb:

Yeah, even my dwarf gourami picked on the snails so I had to move him. Now the snails are with bristlenose and cory cats, the bristlenose don't worry the snails, even when they crawl all over the snails they don't care. The snails love the same type of food as the bristlenose and cory cats, the bottom feeder pellets, they also have a munch at all the veges we put in the tank.

Another thing, snails like warmer temperatures, in the mid to low twenties or mid seventies. If it gets too cold snails just slow right down, which is ok for a season but not all year round.

The temperature of the tank also affects their activity and life span. Warmer temps will give you more active snails, but they will live shorter times. Cooler temps will give you less active snails, but they will live longer. I beleive my tanks stay at 70-72 year round, and mine seem to be rather active but they live quite a while. I think the life span for a brig is about three years on average, but I would have to check that number.

Yep sounds about right 2.5 years is the average life span. Hotter the temps shorter the life. Brigs do make an excellent clean up crew for fry as they create infusatoria. I do have a few juvenile brigs in my montezuma sword & carlhubbusia stuarti fry tanks they eat up any leftover food that would otherwise make the tank full of mulm but they are messy little critters.

I agree, the only time I would use snails as a clean up crew would be to clean up excess food, but never to clean algae. It seems like the more you feed them the more they want. They are pretty high effiency poo factories, too. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, for all the input on the snails. Mine has been in with my baby Oranda for 4 days now. I haven't noticed any nipping on the tenticles yet, and the snail seems pretty active. My only concern is my ph, it seems to have risen quite a bit since I added the snail. I think today it was at 8.6, is that a bad thing for goldies?

To solve the issue of the snail not getting any food, I started dropping half of a pea in the tank. if the pea is not smooshed up, my fishie can't eat it, it's too big for his little mouth. The fish gets peas once a week, the snail gets one every other day.

your ph would not have risen from adding a snail. it is very high for goldies they like a ph from 6.8-8.2 any higher and they flip out. you can bring ph down by using a commercial ph changer such as ph down lol or you could add some driftwood it lowered the ph in my tank heaps to low for goldies i had to add some coral to buffer it up

Edited by dan in aus

Your snail needs to eat more than half a pea every other day. I suggest you look for some large sinking pellets suitable for bottom feeders such as plecos, loaches and corys. My goldfish like these pellets too but they are large so a small fish couldn't get it in his mouth, only peck at it.

The raised pH must have something to do with your water supply, adding a snail won't raise it. I wouldn't use a pH down product with snails, they need alkaline water, preferrably 7.5 or higher, acid water will erode their shells. Your goldfish should manage ok at that pH too, granted it is a little on the high side but if you fish acts and looks ok, then it is ok.

• 1 month later...

I have a few ramshorn and golden mystery in with my comets.The comets dont bother them or bite off there tentacles.It's very rare that they even go near one,and when they do they kind of look at them like what are you?and swim away.lol.Guess it depends on the fish.