Sign in to follow this  
Treads4heads

Please Help, Possible Septicemia

Hello - I'm on a different time line here in UK, so have just read last nights posts.

I did not intend to upset or offend anyone, so should perhaps qualify what I said earlier:

Initially, illness can appear to be 'one thing' but if you then aquire all the background info, it often turns out to be something else.

All those questions in the white box above are designed to help provide a road map to accurate diagnosis. All the answers provide clues. That's why we always stress that members should answer as much as they can before being offered med advice. There are many symptoms which are shared between parasites, bacteria and the effects of bad water. That's why it's important to evalute the whole picture rather than try to find meds or separate diagnoses for each individual symptom.

Anyway, I'm glad that everything seems to be on track and now that there are meds in the tank, the ich should start to fall off very soon. :)

Edited by Pixiefish

Shannon did not "advise" me to do anything. I did not want to wait and in other reading found out that maracyn-2 helped others with septiciema. Shannon, if anything, has been a great help and showed alot of concern, which I thank her for. I made all the choices so far off my own ideas and research. If I dont try my own ideas, I will never learn what really works and what doesnt. But I thank you all for your contiunued support. They are all still in the 29gallon as im getting the 2nd one ready. The goldies will be transfered in tomorrow.

(P.S shannon, my little icon in the corner means im a he, not a she ;) )

Thanks so much, and I sure hope your fish pull through. You really are trying so hard for the little ones.

Sorry about the mix-up regarding your gender, LOL! I will be checking this thread to see how the fish are doing.....

Well tonight I bring not such good news. My girlfriend set up the little tank that everyone was in. She set it up as I cleaned out the 55gal tank. Today, I counted the loaches. 1,2,3,4..... and then looked at the filted. There was no filter cap on this filter. I love the dojos because of their great sense of curiosity and adventure, and its the same traits that I am now posting to say I am 2 dojos down, and one pleco. The ich is still on everyone. I am treating the goldies with salt+heat and the loaches with Jungles Ick Guard 2. I can't tell if anyone is getting better or worse. I guess I'm now getting to the point where I have spent so much money and effort on .30 cent goldfish that it seems like a big waste of everything. sigh, they havent given up on me yet so I wont give up on them...

I'm sorry to hear that :( . But when you can and do bring fish back from deaths door it is a wonderful feeling and achievement. Worth more than money, really it is. I hope there are no more losses. Don't give up! Your fish are grateful I assure you.

The from the goldfish has dropped off and they seem to be doing much better! They look more active and seem to have lost the blood in the fins! wahoo!! Now, my loaches I have left are still covered in ich and it will not get off them. I may have won the battle, but not yet the war.

The from the goldfish has dropped off and they seem to be doing much better! They look more active and seem to have lost the blood in the fins! wahoo!! Now, my loaches I have left are still covered in ich and it will not get off them. I may have won the battle, but not yet the war.

Hey there...I am glad that you have seen some good results with your fish. That's great news.

I am really not sure about loaches and how to treat them....I am sure someone else who has loaches will have an idea. Ich sure can be a pain in the butt.

Good luck, you sure have been working to save those fish.

Well, this has been a bittersweet victory. The goldies look to be on the road to recovery. they are much more active, eating well, and the blood has left the fins. I am impressed with myself. Yet, the loaches did not turn out so good. I turned to Jungles Ich Guard II which is supposed to be used on sensitive fish. I bought the only bottle in the area and then bought some online so when I ran out (4days, site said they shipped in 24hours) I would have enough to finish the cycle. 2 days in, I get an email saying they are backed on orders and need to refund my money. I come home today, and the ich has gone critical. One was dead, and 3 hours later, I am here with one that I need to find the most humane way to euthanize, hes really sad to see. I put the pleco in the salt water because it would be best for him. I put the only healthy looking loach into the salt water anyway. It may not be good for him, but its better than being in a dying tank. 1 other loach is very sick with ich and I should prolly euthanize him before his infestation gets critical. Thank you all for your help, but I am afraid I have lost, and my ego as a fish keeper has been badly hurt. I will stay a floater on this site and check back from time to time. Thank you all again!

Jon from NY

Well, this has been a bittersweet victory. The goldies look to be on the road to recovery. they are much more active, eating well, and the blood has left the fins. I am impressed with myself. Yet, the loaches did not turn out so good. I turned to Jungles Ich Guard II which is supposed to be used on sensitive fish. I bought the only bottle in the area and then bought some online so when I ran out (4days, site said they shipped in 24hours) I would have enough to finish the cycle. 2 days in, I get an email saying they are backed on orders and need to refund my money. I come home today, and the ich has gone critical. One was dead, and 3 hours later, I am here with one that I need to find the most humane way to euthanize, hes really sad to see. I put the pleco in the salt water because it would be best for him. I put the only healthy looking loach into the salt water anyway. It may not be good for him, but its better than being in a dying tank. 1 other loach is very sick with ich and I should prolly euthanize him before his infestation gets critical. Thank you all for your help, but I am afraid I have lost, and my ego as a fish keeper has been badly hurt. I will stay a floater on this site and check back from time to time. Thank you all again!

Jon from NY

Hi Jon,

I am so sorry that you have had such a hard time with your fish. Sometimes, they are just too far gone to save.

As far as the ego is concerned, I have had goldfish for years and have also lost fish. Sometimes you can do EVERYTHING right, and they can still die. They are very sensitive to water conditions, and we are all human. We do the best we can, but we have all made mistakes. I will never stop keeping goldies because in the end it is worth it to me. They bring me more joy than heartache, but I do know how you feel.