Sign in to follow this  
Treads4heads

Please Help, Possible Septicemia

I think I will be getting rid of the otos, they are just not worth the fuss. I loaches are great though, I can turn behind me now and see one fasinated with suspending itself from the filter, swimming away, then doing it again! I will do a 30% water change followed by testing the params again to see where I am at. My one questions today is while he has perked up a bit, he seems to be..twitching? Now that he is swimming, he seems to be having a hard time keeping balance and twitching his back fin to try and help balance him. That does not seem normal. Could it be the infection (he still has blood in his fins) is effecting his swim bladder?

I think that twitching can be caused from a number of things, as can balance problems. I would put all my energies into keeping that water quality as good as possible....he might still be irritated by something, and I know that high nitrates can cause swim bladder or balance problems. IMO...... The number one top priority now is water changes. Keep him confortable with good water. Have you done a water change today? You should prolly be doing them daily until those nitrates come down. Have you tested your tap water? It is always a good idea to see what kind of water you are dealing with out of the tap, too. Does your tap water have nitrates? That could also explain the reading.

After the 2nd water change, params are still pretty much the same. Nitrites nor nitrates have gone down :(

Since I am unsure on how long it will take for these params to get better, do you think my goldie is going to die waiting for medication? How long can he survive with this problem? Any suggestions?

Edited by Treads4heads

Wait! I think I mixed up the cards and the things. Nitrate should be orange and Nitrites are purple? If so. My Nitrate reads still at about 5.0 and my Nitrite is about 5.0. That was better than yesterday for sure!

I have not been able to take pictures, HOWEVER. If you can please look at the "finrot pictures" thread in the treatment area of this site. THAT is what my fish looks like. Those exact red and white areas. PLEASE do NOT tell me this is just FINROT gone bad?!?!

Just while you're waiting hun..another water change? Nitrites at 5 are really extremely dangerous. Post back when you can get those at zero..soon!

Meanwhile you should stop feeding till the water issues straighten.

When did you last rinse off your filter media and clean out the filter pipes in old tank water?

Edited by Trinket

After the 2nd water change, params are still pretty much the same. Nitrites nor nitrates have gone down :(

Since I am unsure on how long it will take for these params to get better, do you think my goldie is going to die waiting for medication? How long can he survive with this problem? Any suggestions?

Are you able to get the other fish out of the tank, or back to the store? All I can say is water changes, water changes, water changes. Every day......

And if you can get those other fish out.....salt while the nitrItes are so high. NitrIte is extremely toxic, and exposure to it (and ammonia) can have long term health effects. Salt interferes with the fishs' cells absorbing the nitrIte. It is really very helpful. And Prime also detoxifies ammo, NitrIte, and nitrAte. You should be doing water changes and dosing with it every 24 hours.

I hope your goldie survives this, it can be tough. But you seem very dedicated to your fish and are doing everything you can.

Finrot should clear up as your water params get better. I am not too familiar with medications, I am sure someone will offer more advice on that very soon. :unsure:

I asked about adding some type of nullifier and no one commented so I didnt add anything. I will purchase some prime tonight, add it to the water along with tonights water change, and I will not feed them to keep more stuff out. How long can they go without eating? Will his tail come back if I can clear this up in time? I don't have any other tanks to put any of the other fish right now. I wish i didn't waste 4 days with the stupid pimafix because thats what the petstore guy said. We are going on day 8 and things havent improved :(

I asked about adding some type of nullifier and no one commented so I didnt add anything. I will purchase some prime tonight, add it to the water along with tonights water change, and I will not feed them to keep more stuff out. How long can they go without eating? Will his tail come back if I can clear this up in time? I don't have any other tanks to put any of the other fish right now. I wish i didn't waste 4 days with the stupid pimafix because thats what the petstore guy said. We are going on day 8 and things havent improved :(

Prime will be extremely helpful. It won't replace water changes, but will help the fish deal with the leftover toxins after a change. You will still need to do the changes daily until the water is better. You can cut the feedings down to every other day, and just a pinch. They will be fine. The worry is bad water, that will kill them much quicker than less food.

Will the pet store take the other fish? That is worth a try, and will help your situation.

His tail should come back once the water improves.

And in general, alot of members here know alot more than most of the people at fish stores. Look for the members that are "helpers", and trust them.

Now that I am a member, You are now all my fish helping family :) I bought some prime and used it today. I want to check the params after it has gone through the tank for a bit and will post up those results. I will go to feeding every other day. He seems to be doing a little bit better, which is good! I also bought some of that marycil (spelling?) 2. As soon as the params are good, I will be making sure I clean this tank out of any other infections anyone may have. I have two questions as of now. Is there anything I need to worry about mixing? The prime and the marycil once I get to it is my biggest concern. Second, my loaches are swimming up to my filter and letting it suck them up to it and suspend them, but more than normal. Is there normally a reason any fish would do this?

Are you able to get the other fish out of the tank, or back to the store? All I can say is water changes, water changes, water changes. Every day......

And if you can get those other fish out.....salt while the nitrItes are so high. NitrIte is extremely toxic, and exposure to it (and ammonia) can have long term health effects. Salt interferes with the fishs' cells absorbing the nitrIte. It is really very helpful. And Prime also detoxifies ammo, NitrIte, and nitrAte. You should be doing water changes and dosing with it every 24 hours.

I hope your goldie survives this, it can be tough. But you seem very dedicated to your fish and are doing everything you can.

Finrot should clear up as your water params get better. I am not too familiar with medications, I am sure someone will offer more advice on that very soon. :unsure:

If it were me, I'd conduct water changes back to back all in the same day until ammonia and nitrites were zero. Then I'd start monitoring the tank to make sure the cycle was intact, and then worry about treating my sick fish.

Second, my loaches are swimming up to my filter and letting it suck them up to it and suspend them, but more than normal. Is there normally a reason any fish would do this?

Are they going to the surface and sucking air at all? Are any of your other fish doing this? Are they losing buoyancy at all?

All of those symptoms are signs of nitrite poisoning. You have to really get everything back to zero so you don't lose your fish. It is very disheartening to lose them over water quality. :cry1

No, no one seems to be going up for air. I think water quality got me to this point, but there is more than that. The offical observation is that 2/5 of the goldies have septiciema, 4/5 have ich on the tail, and the 3/6 loaches have ich on them. Yes, I know its not the best situation but I am doing all I can to correct it. I could do back to back water changes if that is really reccomended. Thankfully, I have that new medication that once my water gets perfect, will knock all that stuff out!

(hopefully :( )

No, no one seems to be going up for air. I think water quality got me to this point, but there is more than that. The offical observation is that 2/5 of the goldies have septiciema, 4/5 have ich on the tail, and the 3/6 loaches have ich on them. Yes, I know its not the best situation but I am doing all I can to correct it. I could do back to back water changes if that is really reccomended. Thankfully, I have that new medication that once my water gets perfect, will knock all that stuff out!

(hopefully :( )

For a tank to cycle can take as long as two months. You are doing water changes to keep the water from being deadly, but for a tank to be cycled you have to also have sufficient colonies of nitrifying bacteria to deal with and convert the waste that your fish are producing. I forgot what kind of filter you have and what kind of media. I will go take a look again. Does your LFS carry Biospera? It is a refrigerated pouch of bacteria that can kick start your cycle and shorten it a bit. I have had good luck with it.

My first recommendation is water changes...VERY important. Back to Back is probably necessary, and be sure to treat all added water with Prime. Prime will not affect that testing kit you have. The ammonia will still be present, so you will still show ammonia levels. Prime just converts it to a nontoxic form. Removing as much as you can through water chanes is still your number one priority.

And I am no expert on medicine, so wait to hear from someone who is before you add anything else, OK?

Well I am going to take my chances. After looking close at the loaches they have gone pretty critcal. I am going to use the Maracily-2 stuff tonight and hope it will do its job before tomorrows water change. Its my only hope instead of just watching them die

Are you actually using a gravel vac to change water? This is hugely important to get out all the poo and uneaten food that will cause more bad water.

Also if your fish have septicemia--one of mine did and I fed him Anti-bacteria food from Jungle. He loved it and showed improvement the next day. I kept him on it for 10 days and he recovered completely--no more red streaks or sluggish behaviour.

And its done. If I go to sleep and wake tomorrow and find them all dead for whatever reason, I know I did my best to try and help them. I learned my lesson to keep the water much better monitored but I will not wait 2 months and let them die 1 by 1 as I wait for these perfect conditions. I could see the loaches body's covered in those ###### parasites and I could not just sit and watch. Tomorrow will be another water change, followed by prime, and then day 2 of the medication.

I tried giving them gel-tek tetracycline and they would not eat it, but I will look into that. No, I have not been using a gravel vac. I will purchase one tomorrow, I did not realize its high importance.

And its done. If I go to sleep and wake tomorrow and find them all dead for whatever reason, I know I did my best to try and help them. I learned my lesson to keep the water much better monitored but I will not wait 2 months and let them die 1 by 1 as I wait for these perfect conditions. I could see the loaches body's covered in those ###### parasites and I could not just sit and watch. Tomorrow will be another water change, followed by prime, and then day 2 of the medication.
I tried giving them gel-tek tetracycline and they would not eat it, but I will look into that. No, I have not been using a gravel vac. I will purchase one tomorrow, I did not realize its high importance.

By letting the water cycle properly, you do not have to sit and wait and do nothing. Far from it. But your tank was a bit more complicated by the mixing of the fish, that was why you couldn't address the problems you have with salt. And the most important thing is that you know now about water quality, and understand its importance. You are ahead of many fish owners right there. Keep up the water changes with Prime.

Please go get that gravel vac, too. Like we said earlier, it is very important to remove uneaten food and fish poop from the gravel before they start rotting.

Well I just got home from work, and noticed the most sick goldie now has a white cotton looking thing on him after I used the medication. I am unsure if this is ANOTHER problem he has contracted, or a result of the medication

I dont think spot tests are wrong. Unless im doing something really wrong, or the water that i chose was somehow special? But currently my paramas read

Ammionia= 0

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

I dont think spot tests are wrong. Unless im doing something really wrong, or the water that i chose was somehow special? But currently my paramas read

Ammionia= 0

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

That makes sense, your tank isnt cycled and you are doing heavy water changes. The white cotton thing sounds like fungus. These are brought on by poor water quality and stress.

What do you mean by spot tests? Like a dipstick? Or are you using test tubes?

Here is some info from another goldie site that I frequent....

Fungus Disease

The following Disease Factfile is brought to you by: FantailFishyUK

Symptoms: Fish show fluffy tufts of cotton wool like growths on any part of the body

Causes: Fish defences lowered by stress/poor conditions allow the Pseudomonas (always present in aquarium water) bacteria to take a hold

Treatments: Interpet number 8: 'Anti Fungus & Finrot', King British number 6: 'Finrot & Fungus control', Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 'Melafix' (to treat MOUTH fungus), Waterlife 'Myxazin', Waterlife Protozin.

Epistylis fungus responds to a 0.3% salt solution.

Edited by sweetshannon

Thank you shannon, you have been a great help through all this. The maracyil-2 says it also treats fin rot so hopefully it will take care of this. The ich looks like it doubled over night. Hopefully this stuff can stilll save my tank

Thank you shannon, you have been a great help through all this. The maracyil-2 says it also treats fin rot so hopefully it will take care of this. The ich looks like it doubled over night. Hopefully this stuff can stilll save my tank

There is a section on top of this page with alot of information on different parasites, medications, and other members experiences with them. I have had fish for a few years now, but am still learning every day by reading all the different topics on this, and other, sites. You never know when it will come in handy.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for your fish. They have a few strikes against them, so I hope they can pull through. Does the medication you used treat cotton wool? I have read that this fungus can kill pretty quickly, though I have never dealt with it personally....knock on wood!