A Black Moor With One Eye

flowerstalk

i went and fed the fishies in the pond this morning and wat did i see.my poor little black moor with one eye,yep some feral fish in there just took his whole eye out, i mean his WHOLE eye. :idont dont no who ate it or took it. :yikes . i raced inside and told my hubby who kinda laughed. well that got me more cranky and upsett. i was lost for words.poor thing.anyway he and the boys go down to the little creek and at times catch these little feral fish and they put them in the pond ages ago.so i would say there the culprites. so i was :crying: and he was :unsure: unsure wat to do. i told him to take it out and put it with the two bubble eyes.i dont no how hes going to go in there,but im watching him closely he seems ok for the time being. i took pics of him and hubby will post it them when he gets home from work.i cant belive it,he looks just so sad.one eye, thats just crazy. :wacko: . i hope he makes it, but then again is it cruel to let him live like that.needless to say after i settled down i was then :madrant . how cruel fish are to each other at times,when hubby gets home hes going to find that/them feral fish and get rid of them.

I'm sorry about your fish, Lee. However, if your hubby introduced feral fish to your pond, then you really can't blame them, Hon! They are only doing what nature taught them, which is to survive the best way they know how. I hope your fish is okay. :(

Hi Lee sorry about your blackmoor it is quite normal for fish to live perfect normal life with one eye just to be sure he stays healthy you should post in disease and diagnosis section of the board. You should also tell your husband by putting wild fish in there you are going to make the goldies incredibly sick as only god knows what type of diseases those wild fish have.

just to let you know you are most likely going to have to treat him some type of med to stop infection

Edited by dan in aus

Also, you should keep him in the tank with the bubble eyes if not in a tank by himself, missing an eye makes it incredibly hard for them to find food, and harder still is havign the other eye as a telescope, but he can still live a happy life with the right care.

imy hubby put tea tree oil in the tank this morning, our fish man up the road says it will help him along, he seems to be doing ok. i think im more stressed bout his situation than the fish himself.yes and he will be in the pond tomorrow looking for wat ever he put in there bout a year ago so we just worked out,heck didnt realise it was that long ago,so im wondering what did take his eye.im stumped at this.the fish he put in there were gudgeons(dont no if that right spelling).the kids wanted to bring them home.so thank goodness they will be gone(the fish not the kids )lol

That's shocking lee :( . Your sweet little black moor! I agree those feral fish have to go back where they came from.

He will learn to manage and get around very well with one eye but in the meantime you will have to be extra careful with his water. That eye is completely open and raw right now and all kinds of infection are possible in less than perfcet water. As well as the drop of melafix I'd consider salting your tank to 0.2% to help the fish regain osmotic balance. Thats a wound -and anywhere else I'd swab it with hp or something - but this is the eye so I would just go with salting the water. You really need to keep that water perfect now while the fish develops new dermis that will grow over and cover the eye space offering some better protection.

I hope he recovers from this little assault in the pond! I too have had some single eyed fish from a mating rampage 2 years ago from my big male. The 1 eyed monsters are living a completely normal life with just 1 eye. Unfortunately one of them died from dropsy :( .

One became completely blind from the whole ordeal and again lived normally once she got used to feeding without eyes, but later died (like a year later) of something else, she just went belly up one day!

*hugs melafix*

thank u every one.yes today he seems to be doing ok, im really the one paniking and upsett, my hubby salted the water last night, thank u to imogen for helping me last night,yes hubby put in tea tree oil to.stress coat not sure if we have that i will check with the hubby.who by the way is very regrett ful now.trying to help all he can lol. my son has renamed the fishie one eyed wendy, i will let yas no how hes doing from time to time.