My Telescope Seems Pretty Skinny...

thekatiedid

I'm a new goldfish owner and am not quite sure what the proper "body type" for a goldfish is, I guess. I have a fantail and a telescope in a tank together, and the fantail has got a cute little portly belly.. but the Telescope seems pretty streamlined, no real pudge. Is this their body type or is my fantail gypping my Telescope out of food? (They both do eat, albeit the fantail eats more, I think).

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'll get pictures of them up and running soon :)

I think sometimes genetics plays a big role in the overall appearence of fish. If you have ruled out parasites or any other disease and you fish is being fed a proper diet then chances are in time he will fill out or he may just have a longer, thinner body and diet will not really change that.

When I had a telescope, it did seem a little slimmer than my other fancies. It didn't eat as much because the others beat it to the food, as you have noted, and I had to make sure that it got enough to eat. I think this is why they say not to keep special eyed fancies with regular fancies, but this still may not be why yours is smaller. It could also just be younger or plain genetics.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be too worried about it, I had 2 fantail goldfish and one was more portly, and the other was streamlined and thin. As long as the fish seems healthy, he/she should be alright.

Guest Chicklette

Be sure that your telescope is getting enough food. Sometimes it takes them longer due to poor eyesight. I have a telescope that is huge and does not have a problem finding food but some do. If you do notice it getting gypped out of food sprinkle food threw out different sections in the tank.

Also some are just skinnier then others. This may just be him and he may fill out in the future.

in my observations there are 2 types of telescope ..there is one that is more streamline and one that has a short body and chubby looking telescope...

i have a bigger black telescope that is more streamline/longer bodied and 2 small chubby short bodied black telescope... If i remember the more streamlined one is from china and the chubby looking ones have a japan mix type of telescope! So i wouldn't worry about it..its the difference between genetics usually ! unless its sick...