Sept And Aug Babies-coloration And Survival Rate?

Guest Jennkerry

Guest Jennkerry

Lucky me, my fish decided to spawn in late Sept in my new pond AND I have babies from (what I thought was the last spawn of the season) Aug 3rd.

Ok guys, so I have who-knows-how-many babies that are cruuuuzing my large pond that are just over 2 months old and about 60-100 in my basement that are just about 4 months old.

First Question:

Now, these babies that were hatched in late Sept, what is there survival rate through the winter? I gotta say, these guys grew VERY fast for just being 2 months old. They are even brave enough to attempt swimming with the big boys! Im saying probably no less then 40 of them, most pushing an inch or more.

Second Question: Coloration??? Heres the kicker. I some-what know that when Comets and Shubunkins hatch, they remain dark in color for around 8 months. Then coloration starts to mature. Half of my babies are dark, greenish/black/brown. And the others are all pretty pinkish/orangy with dalmation like spots. I do have Koi mixed in, so do I have half pure breds of Comets and the others were mixed bred with Comets/Koi? The ones that are colored up, dont have a long tail, but the blackish ones do have flowy tails.

I wasnt sure if my Koi were old enough to fert the eggs OR lay eggs. So, I figured that possibly someone here had more exper with these babies and what they are SUPPOSED to look like. AND what I possibly have. I'll try to snap a shot of the basement babies, so you can see what Im talking about.

Any insight?

Survival is very dependant on a whole range of factors. How cold does it get where you are? Will your pond freeze completely through - or will you have open water? Do you have a bubbler or fountain to keep it clear? CAn you add oxygen? What about a heater?

How you feed the fish also determines survival rates. Too much food or food when the temps are wrong can kill. If you feed too early you can kill. If you do not feed early enough, the large fish will eat the smaller - remember, if the "food" fits in their mouths, they can and will, eventually, try to eat it.

As far as color, each strain and breed of fish can have a different time table for "decoloring" or going from "green" to adult coloring. Calicos (GREAT generalization) tend to show their adult colors earlier than reds (staying green for quite a while). Blues (and their derivitives - such as the Shubie calicos with loads of blue ....sometimes) can take even longer. Some blues I have need over a year to go from green to blue. Give them time - they will show their colors in time. 2 months may be young enough for some calicos to show. It is quite young for much else.

Koi and goldfish can interbreed.... but generally do not make a very pretty fish. They may make a strong, bright pond fish, however!!!!

I look forward to your pictures.

Guest Jennkerry

The babies themselves, I have yet to feed them. They are eating whatever they come across in the pond. I feed the ones in the basement, I started them on a liquid fry diet due to the lack of "wild" food since it was in an aquarium. They are now on small pellets.

OK, the pond is 4000 gallons, 3 feet deep for the majority, 4 foot in the center, I have a de-icer so the pond wont freeze over. The large fish have already begun slowing down and mostly hanging at the bottom. The babies seem a little more active, but sinking further down as the days pass and it gets colder.

Here's what I have in there: 2 Comets, 2 Shubunkins, 1 (who-knows) baby from the spring spawn, and 3 Koi. Two of which were in there when the Sept Spawn occured. The 1 baby is still dark but really big, around 5 or more inches. Then the Sept babies were born and now I have a ton of some cross breeds. I took some pics of the babes in the basement, sorry the photo isnt too clear, I couldnt get them to say CHEEEESE! LOL! But from what I can tell, they will be really preeeeetttyy!!!

But as you can see, some have nice coloration, others are dull

Babies.jpg

Wow, I NEVER have more than a few fish survive the spawn in my pond. I had like three or four this year, and may find more in the pond next year. I just never know..... I have 18 babies that a friend shipped me this summer from a spawn in the middle of June. They're five months old now and growing well. I have 8 fancy tails which are the size of a quarter and smaller, and 10 commons/comets growing out inside for the winter. They are about two inches long now and growing fast...... They'll go in the pond next spring.

Many of mine in the pond take months to color up. I think it's nature's way of protecting them from predators. Inside, the babies are coloring up nicely. I've got a few plain goldies, and several that look like shubunkins in the mix. The fancies are mostly orange, with a calico, a silver/green, and a red and white mix in the bunch. When I got them in July they were the size of peas. It's been so cool to watch them grow!

Guest Jennkerry

I think what helped the babies in the large pond in Sept was that when I built it, I made it have a shallow end, kinda like a lake does. I have large river rock mixed with rubble for the first 2' in before it drops to the 3' section. No one can get to the babies in the shallow rockie area. GREAT for the babies right after hatching, they hang within the rocks and have plenty of hiding area until they are big enough to swim with the others.

Some of them already started coloring up as well, and they are only just over 2 months old. But the ones in the basement, I hatched them myself when the eggs where spawned on my water hyacynths. I wasnt sure if it was fish or frog eggs, obviously fish :)

I had around 200 or more to start, but you know, survival of the fittest. They lay that many because not everyone will make it.

But I feel really bad cause some babies got drawn into the skimmer and somehow made it to the filter. Just found out that on Wed when I winterized the pond. I found like 20+ in pieces in the filter pad. Not a nice way to go. Next year I will fabricate something so that doesnt happen anymore.

So, Im still unaware of what I have baby wise in my basement. Are they mixed with Koi ya think? Is that the reason why some have color already and the others dont?? I know Koi color up faster, so if there is a parent Koi, that would help right?

I know that koi can breed with goldfish, but they produce a hybrid that cannot breed again...... You may have some of these. I'm wondering if one of the babies I'm growing out in the fish room is a hybrid because he's so much larger than the others. I have no idea why some color up faster than others. I see that in my pond too. I guess you could inspect their little mouth areas and see if they have the koi-type whiskers. Goldfish will not have those.....

Bummer about the babies in the filter though. It happens.

The pink/orange ones are calicos. They start showing their color at 1-2 months age. The other ones are "brownies". The youngest colorchanger I have had is Blackie/Presto, he was all black when I brought him inside from pond at the age of 3 months. In a week he'd become orange.

The oldest fish is Brownie, soon a year and a half and still brown... I hope he stays that way....

Very cute fry you have! :D

Guest Jennkerry

Hua...you learn something new everyday! I had no idea that the babies could be split up like that into different groups. My oldest "Brownie" is outside in the large pond. He's around 7 months old and resembles the body shape of the shubunkins. So Im assuming thats what he is.

Thank you for the compliment for my babies! I literally "baby" them to death! LOL!