Sign in to follow this  
emilydelong

Cost Of Fish....

How much do you think you spend a month on running your tanks? Not food, fish, and plants, but in electricity.

I was going to set up my 20 gal for a bubble eye but my parents are claiming that running 2 tanks at one time is going to cost them a fortune in electric bills.

Depends on how long you keep lights on, how strong your pump and filter is. I have a pond and a fish tank but I don't think they make that much difference in the bills.

I have 2 55g and 1 10g QT running.. My bills always stay the same.. Too high! :wall but not from the tanks..

I never saw a difference between running a 10 gallon, and then adding a 55 and a 125. And that's with filters, lighting, a UV, air pumps, etc....Your parents are just being parents. That's their way of telling you no. :rofl Tell them if they give in, they can monitor the electric bill, and if it does go up (it won't), tell them you'll pay the difference out of your allowance. (or job?)

my mum and dad told me since keeping fish the bills have not gone up and that is running 2 10gals and 60gal and soon to be a 3 foot

I have never heard of such a thing. You would have to have some massive tanks to raise your electric bill to anything noticeable.

Also put florecent (spell check) lights on all the lights in your house if you have not done so yet because this will greatly reduce your electric bill.

Same here. I have not noticed any rise in my bill since I set up my 29g tank.

Guest Jennkerry

The only change I saw in my electric bill was when I added Metal Halide lights to my saltwater reef. Normally, my bill for running a 2000 square foot house with 2 people is around $100 a month. If I keep my halides under 5 hrs a day, it doesnt budge. But when I increased the time from 5 hours to 12, my bill jumped to $185.

When it comes to freshwater, pumps, lighting and heaters are so energy efficient you can keep a pretty large tank for a couple bucks a month.

My bill stays at $100 running a 125 Gallon reef, 29 Gallon freshwater, 780 gallon pond in the basement and a 4000 gallon pond outside. OH, that and all the electric used for just US PEOPLE :) Yep, $100 a month!

See I didn't think that it would cost much more than maybe $5/month to run both tanks. When I got my 90 gal, they wanted to make it saltwater and were going to let me run both tanks and my mom told me that I could put the 20 gal in my room but then when I set the tank up and put my goldfish in it, my dad said the 20 gal had to go back in storage. My parents haven't paid for anything for my fish since I set up either tank and I have kept the tank extremely clean but they keep telling me (especially my dad) that my tank is an eyesore and if I had both tanks running they would smell and look disgusting. I don't know where that is coming from, but oh well. At Thanksgiving my mom gave me a lot of credit about keeping up with the responsibility of the tank and paying for it and not asking for her to fund any of it so I'm kind of confused. I think they just don't want me to run the 20 gal because I want to put goldfish in it and they aren't really goldfish fans at all. In fact they've been making me feel like crap for putting goldfish in the 90 gal instead of saltwater or tropical fish. I'll have my mom compare this months bill to last months and see if there was a change and if there wasn't maybe I can convince her to let me set up the 20 gal in my room where they won't have to see it.

Gosh. Parents. :)

a 2000 square foot house with 2 people

lol that seems huge compared to our 1000 square foot house with 4 people and 1 bathroom

flouresent lights do sav loooooooooooooooooooots of electricety. i have 1 in my tank and every bulb in my room. running a tank is way cheaper than having a dog. a dog needs a bed tons of food vaccines check ups ect.

Edited by lucky13

HAve a look at your last electical bill. Find the line that tells you how many kilowatt hours you used last month..... there will be a couple of things in there that should not figure into the equation - like line charges and such. Ignore those - only go for the kilowatt hours. Then figure out how many hours were in the month of the bill.... 30 days times 24 hours? (31? 29?). Divid and you will have how much a kilowatt hour costs. REmember that a kilowatt is 1000 watts - so dividing by 1000 will give you the cost per watt.

If you then read the fine print on your pieces of equipment, you will find the "wattage". Add up all the wattages of what you are using - and you will find out how many watts per hour you are using. Multiply that times the amount you are paying and you will have the amount you are paying for a tank. My BIG tanks, with 3 or more filters, 4 lights, UV units, multiple bubblers and such still only run a few cents an hour - and Illinois has some of the most expensive power in the country.

Write all your math down clearly and line by line. Show your numbers and reasoning. With the proper mathematical backup, you should be able to convince your Mom that you actually have quite a "cheap" hobby. (at least in terms of power usage! ;) )

fing the wattage...

if it is less than 1800 which it would be....tell your parents that a hair dryer takes more energy than the whole fish tank..because most hair dryers are 1800 watts...

OK.

AquaClear 110- 14 watts

Lights- 30 watts

Magnum 350- ?

Rena 400 pump- 8 watts

Just for those is about $30 a year. I need to get new lights and I need to find out how many watts the Magnum 350 uses (does anyone know??), but that is pretty good for my 90 gal right now. :) Really cheap hobby.

Edited by ConverseWithMyConverse

It is VERY responsible of you to figure up the cost! You may even impress your parents!!

My husband figured mine up awhile back & I think it was about $20-35 per month! Now that is for a 100 gal & a 30 gallon tank, 3 AQ110 filters, 1 Fluval filter, a pump for a bubble wall, a 5 ft light w/2 bulbs & a brand new submersible heater!! We figure that isn't much to spend on a hobby that I enjoy so much!!

**Converse....Ya' might want to re-figure cause I don't think you can run a 90 for $30 per YEAR!**

Edited by Jeana727

converse if your parents really want saltwater why not turn the 20 gal into a nano reef? that i what i am planning to do

It is VERY responsible of you to figure up the cost! You may even impress your parents!!

My husband figured mine up awhile back & I think it was about $20-35 per month! Now that is for a 100 gal & a 30 gallon tank, 3 AQ110 filters, 1 Fluval filter, a pump for a bubble wall, a 5 ft light w/2 bulbs & a brand new submersible heater!! We figure that isn't much to spend on a hobby that I enjoy so much!!

**Converse....Ya' might want to re-figure cause I don't think you can run a 90 for $30 per YEAR!**

I think it's about right since it is only for 52 watts. I need new lights since I should have 90-270 watts for lights and I also need to find out how many watts a Magnum 350 uses, so your right $30/year is too small for a 90 gal but it's right for how many watts I calculated.

converse if your parents really want saltwater why not turn the 20 gal into a nano reef? that i what i am planning to do

We're thinking about it.

I have a 2000 gallon pond with a pump that pumps 2900 gallons an hour. That only adds 7 bucks to the bottom line on the monthly electricity bill. Tell you parents you'll take quicker showers to save money, LOL.....

Seriously, running aquarium equipment is LOW WATTAGE stuff, compared to some of the stuff for ponds out there. It's really just pennies a day. Be sure to check the wattage of anything you buy and buy responsibly. Wattage really does vary on pumps and some lights. You can call the electric company to see how much you're paying for each kilowat hour and they'll help you figure out how much another tank will cost per month. I'm sure it's hardly a thing..... Let us know when you find out.

BTW, do your parents know how expensive a reef tank really is??? Decent lights alone can cost hundreds of dollars and the rock itself is expensive along with the corals and fish. Gosh, I've seen people spend three or four thousand dollars then give up because it's too hard to maintain...... Goldfish are cheaper by far!

Edited by gardengirl

Gardengirl is so right! We run above ground ponds with filters and stuff, and that is a whole lot more than ony of my tanks in the house combined. We have 1 4000 gl pond, and 2 1800 gl, as well as a few 300 gl and 160 gl outside. The power bill is reasonable for a 2400 sqft home, except during the summer months when the A/C runs. With 4 people in the house, plus tanks inside, the stuff outside, heating lamps for the tortoises, etc, our power bill is always around 150$ a month (not the summer though....).

My daughter did a little project in school as to what uses how much wattage in the house. She had a few items compared together, like room lights, the fridge, one of my filters, the fish tank lights, etc. Turns out that the fish tank lights use the most wattage!

i dont think there that dear.our bill has mainly been the same about $356 every three months and we run a pond and 4 tanks.but then again i really wouldnt care how much it costs cause i love my fishies,and if it can down to it i would eat by candle light and hand wash, proberly cook outside on the barbie and use torches lol lol

I have a 135g with 3 AC110s, 2 15w lights and a wet/dry filter running 800+ gph. A little while back, we had an energy audit done and the guy told us, based on the wattage of the filters & lights, that it was responsible for about $10 a month on our bill.

Lot less than I would have thought, which is good thing.

Lisa

Yeah, they aren't that bad so I don't see what my dad's deal is. I've offered to pay him for the electricity that I use. I'm going to my LFS for some new fish on Thursday, so if I come home with too many, then oh well, I guess I have to use the 20 gal. :)

Yeah, that's all going to depend on how many filters you have and their sizes and how long you leave lights on and if you have extra things like bubblers or other air run decorations using air pumps, also how long and how often you run a quarantine tank and how many tanks you have. I only have one 60 gallon tank with a UG filter and dual 1140 reverse powerheads and run lights about 6-7 hours in the evening. And, I guess I wouldn't really know anyway because I have automatic pay for my electric bill, so I never see it anyway. And, I only get billed every other month, so, in short, I have no idea, but I might guess it adds $10 or less per bill (which is two months worth).