Sign in to follow this  
nabki

Pileups On An Oranda?

Ammonia Level? o

Nitrite Level? o

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level? 7.1

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 100gal, 3 months(+6 weeks cycle)

What is the name and size of the filter/s?atman 3338(1200l/h),hydor crstal duo(??l/h)

How often do you change the water and how much? 45-50% every week

How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 medium goldfish, 4 dojo loaches(small), 1 bristlenose pleco(6cm)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? watersafe-rite(sort of sechlorinater and removes heavy metals) and ammonia-gone(same as prime)

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? shrimp,lettuce,alge wafers,aquafin goldfish pellets, bannanas, tubiflex worms, oranges.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

the goldfish(all of them) have started chasing my oranda all over the tank, then squeezing it into a corner and piling up on it(like loaches). the oranda is now in quarintine. chasing started this morning. anyone know whats wrong with my fish? the oranda has been in the tank for about 1 an a half months now. please help :krazy:

Hi nabki.

Have you had a weather change recently? It could be your oranda is female and releasing the pheromones that attract the males in the tank. Perhaps the other fish are male and with so many of them and only one female -competition is fierce creating this pile up. Do you think this could be the case? If so, she may soon release those eggs.

yes its been raining for 3 days straight and the dojo loaches have been going crazy, i tried to reply to this post yesterday evening but my internet accsess card expired just as i pressed the reply button. i put her(i hope) back i yesterday evening, but she hasent released any eggs yet. how long does this normally take? should i hand spawn her?

There's probably no need to do anything yet. The eggs can take their time. Maybe within a week. Sometimes a large water change encourages their release. Now shes back in the tank are they chasing again? Keep a close watch, you may need to remove her again. With so many fish chasing she can get traumatised and injured. In a tank that size you could also consider setting up a temporary partition/divider while this is going on.

its still going on, and i did a waterchange a few hours ago. ill try to get a large hatchery to keep her in if i cant find a divider. thanks for the help :)

Keep us posted and good luck :)

i couldnt find any deviders for my tanks or any large enough container, so she is now in a wire mesh cage(the type used in those french fries machines) thats hanging on the inside of the tank. im only feeding her algae wafers,fruit &veg ,ect.. because the pellets arent staying in the container. the 'boys'(i hope) have left her alone so far, althou the dojo loaches seem to have an uncanny ability to move in and out of the cage at will. loach-mouth sized nibble marks have been seen on the algae wafers that are put into the cage. i havent yet been able to catch the little buggers red-handed:krazy:

i have just noticed the pimples on allmost all of my fish(!), a white ranchu,a white fantail, a lionhead and a calicio common... who should i try and breed her with? i think ill keep her in the container for a couple of days then ill put one of the males in to see if anything happens...

Love is in the air. :heart

Haha yeah boys will be boys...... :D:rolleyes:

(LOL).. yeah I hear ya.. :rofl

i put the ranchu in a few minutes ago and im waiting to see what happens... so far the oranda(female) has nosed the ranchu(male) a bit... :blink: maybe its becuase of the fruit?

the dojos have been caught. the little buggers are so desperate to get into the cage that they have been squeezing themselves through the little holes in the wire cage... then jumping out whe theyer done.

seems like the males have lost intrest, althou the breeding stars are still there, so i removed the cage.

Good. Its passed. Thats how it goes.She may well have released some eggs -it often happens at sunrise and they are all destroyed/consumed before we notice. Keep an eye on her- it will happen again :)