Baby Guppies!

gardengirl

I've got baby guppies and am so happy!!!! I bought a 75 gallon tank a few weeks ago and the guy I bought it from gave me a few guppies. I put them in a 5.5 gallon tank in the fish room and didn't think anything about it, as I'm not usually great with guppies, but a couple of days ago I saw six little guppy puppies swimming around in the tank. It was great!

I moved my chair over to their tank and sit mesmerized by them every morning. It's such a miracle that something so small is alive and eating and swimming right after birth like that. Absolutely amazing ! :)

No pics right now. They are SO SMALL I doubt I could get a shot with my camera. They are about a quarter of an inch now. I grind up the flake food and feed it to them several times a day and they go nuts for it. Their little tummies pooch out when they're full. It's so cute. They're growing before my eyes. I love to just sit and watch them. I actually have six of them. I thought I had five, but spotted another the next day.

Siphoning the tank is hard. I have had to switch to small airline tubing and a bucket. The larger tubing I was using got one of the babies. I found him swimming around in the bucket. He was alright so I scooped him up in a cup and put him back in the tank -- the little stinker.... LOL.... Using the Python is absolutely out of the question until they guys are grown. As soon as I can I'll buy another 5.5 gallon grow out tank set-up for them and separate them. Right now they're doing fine with the parents in the tank. None of the adults are picking or chasing them and they have a lot of plants to hang out in.

I love guppies!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Aww, baby guppies! My friend's guppies had babies a while back and they were just so darn cute. Congrats on your new little ones. How are they doing now? :heart

• 3 weeks later...

The six original baby guppies are getting larger, BUT the female surprised me a week ago with NINE more babies! I got another 5 gallon tank and the female will be separated from the male. I remember reading that they can produce babies every 28 days and she was right on schedule! LOL.

I'll post pics when I get the Guppy set-up up and running. I'm putting in four 5 gallon tanks and a 20 long just for guppies. One tank will be for adult males, another for breeding, another for young males, another for young and mature females, and the 20 long will be for babies to grow out in .......