Python And Chlorinating

I have always used a python to change my tanks water. Originally, I would use Prime (dechlorinator) and treat only for the new water amount...1/2 capful for 25 gallons new water.

Then I read that you should use Prime in the amout that would treat the total gallons...new and old water... if you use a python.

Full capful...for all 55 gallons of the tank.

I recently decided to do a test...I changed 25 gallons of my 55 gallon tank. I treated only for new water. 1/2 capful for 25 gallons.

Used Quik Dip test stripes 6 in 1 (these test for chlorine).

Tested water when 12 gallons new water added...0 ppm chlorine.

Tested when all new 25 gallons new water added...0 ppm chlorine.

Am I missing something... :unsure: .

Why do some people recommend treating for total tank volume if using a python? :whatjust:

• 2 years later...

I use the python on my large tanks, and I dechlorinate by tank size :)

I'm aware of that, thank you. what i was trying to ask is, what if i change the water twice a day or once a day, do i still have to dose by tank size?would the prime accumulate and lead to overdose?

Prime is actually safe in double doses. (I believe there was a test in which you could safely use Prime up to 5 times the normal amount to detoxify nitrites in an emergency)

So if you do two water changes a day, I would still use the same amount of prime and dose based on total tank volume.

I have used double doses of prime often because we have a very very high amount of chlorine in our water. You can sometimes SMELL it.. And I always dose based on total tank volume because I use pythons on the majority of my tanks too!

Prime is actually safe in double doses. (I believe there was a test in which you could safely use Prime up to 5 times the normal amount to detoxify nitrites in an emergency)

So if you do two water changes a day, I would still use the same amount of prime and dose based on total tank volume.

I have used double doses of prime often because we have a very very high amount of chlorine in our water. You can sometimes SMELL it.. And I always dose based on total tank volume because I use pythons on the majority of my tanks too!

thank you, did you check the PH of your tap water and tank?are they the same? the only thing that's holding me from getting a python is because the PH of my tap water is different to my tank. With the help of API freshwater master kit, i manage to track/monitor the PH of my tap and tank water. I have a PH of 7.2 in my tap water and PH of 7.6 in my tank. My tap water PH will go up to 7.6 if i age it.

Python would save you a lot of time during the water change but if that's going to give me more problem then it would be better to stick with buckets

anyone could give me some info about this

thanks in advance

I have a PH of 7.2 in my tap water and PH of 7.6 in my tank. My tap water PH will go up to 7.6 if i age it.

You should be just fine using a python in this case.

It is never a good idea to go from a higher ph to a lower ph, but in your case there shouldn't be any issue since you are starting lower than going up. (Just watch the fish the first time and make sure they seem okay)

I have a tap water ph of somewhere around 7.6 and the tank is 8.2... I've been doing my water changes with the python and have had absolutely no problem at all.

They really do save you SO much time and trouble.. I think if I didn't have my pythons I would have given up by now LOL

I have a PH of 7.2 in my tap water and PH of 7.6 in my tank. My tap water PH will go up to 7.6 if i age it.

You should be just fine using a python in this case.

It is never a good idea to go from a higher ph to a lower ph, but in your case there shouldn't be any issue since you are starting lower than going up.

Thank you countrylovah!!!. i already heard of that. What if your PH is 6.5 then your tank has PH 8.2, would that be shocking to the fish?if yes, would i still be able to use python?

another question, What if my tap water has higher PH, lets say tap water at PH 8.2 and my tank at PH 6.8. Is it still safe to use python? if not, what would you do?

thank you very much

In both those cases its a bit drastic... But also a bit unlikely that it would happen in the first place...

In the first case, if your tap is that low, the chance of it increasing to 8.2 without adding a buffer is not likely.. I would think you would have to be purposely TRYING to get it that high. Unless you have an insane amount of crushed coral in there.. IF it did happen I would probably just do smaller water changes more often so that it ups it gradually rather than all at once. See what the fish can handle without stress... And add less buffer because it really doesn't NEED to be that high.

In the second case, Well first of all you don't really want your tank to be 6.8.. You would want it higher that way you do not risk a ph crash and hurting all of your fish. So in this case, I would use a buffer (Like Buff it Up from Goldfish Connection) to raise the ph in the tank to above 7. (Maybe around 7.4-7.6 so that you have some room for it to drop before it gets dangerous). Then, you would be adding a water with a ph that is higher so it shouldn't have any negative effect on the fish.

Hope that helps a little but.. (Sometimes i feel like I don't word things properly lolol)

Archived