What Does Flashing Mean ?

alanworm

It basically means rubbing thier bodies on the gravel or ornaments, or other things in the tank. I guess they do this trying to rid themselves of the parasites. The term "flashing" is meant when they "flash" their scales or the underside of themselves while rubbing on the gravel, etc. I believe I have that right! LOL!

i always thought it was called "flashing" because of the abnormal "darting" type motions when they scrape against rocks and stuff. it's almost like a twitch or something.

It basically means rubbing thier bodies on the gravel or ornaments, or other things in the tank. I guess they do this trying to rid themselves of the parasites. The term "flashing" is meant when they "flash" their scales or the underside of themselves while rubbing on the gravel, etc. I believe I have that right! LOL!

lol, i like to think of flashing as goldfish mooning us, but that's just me, yeah basically thats what flashing is

^^ thx for the quick replies ... everyone have their way of saying flashing ... my fish swims really fast all of a sudden this one time, is that a type of flashing ???

does it look as though it is irritated in any way? for instance do they rub up against the glass, gravel or ornaments? does it twitch it's fins? or is this just a "zoom" from one side of the tank to the other infrequently type thing?

^^ thx for the quick replies ... everyone have their way of saying flashing ... my fish swims really fast all of a sudden this one time, is that a type of flashing ???

if they are not rubbing on any objects in the tank then no your fish is just darting form one end of the tank to the other, this can be signs of bad water params or a tank that is too small but sometimes fish just like to go for a quick dart ;)

my water condition is in great condition.... oh and one more i've seen one of my fish the top fin .. went up and down like really fast !! (thats seriously weird) but i didn't seem them scratching on glass, or other things !!!

Guest snelson5

I've had several goldfish over the years and mine would occaisionally dart around their tanks. I used to always compare it to my cats. Occaisionally the kitty's go nuts and tear around the house...I just figured it was their way of working out some extra energy, plus its hilarious to watch!

Gus (my current goldie) likes to swim from one side to the other, angle down towards the bottom and flip on his side, almost hitting the gravel but not quite, and will sometimes purposely flip himself upside down, right himself and then swim around happily. Craziest thing I've ever seen a fish do, but he's done it ever since I first got him and he really seems to enjoy it. I figure he's pretty happy to see me if he's going through all of those acrobatics :) Either that or he really wants some food!

likes to swim from one side to the other, angle down towards the bottom and flip on his side, almost hitting the gravel but not quite, and will sometimes purposely flip himself upside down, right himself and then swim around

that sounds a lot like flashing :unsure: you sure your water params are fine/no parasites?

Guest snelson5

I'm going to do a water test tonight when I get home from work...but he's done that ever since I had him (for several months). He was eating just fine and all of that... I just recently replaced all of the rocks, plants etc. in the tank because he's been acting funny (ie: floating at the top and being really lethargic) and I figured that was due to the rocks still having medicine in it from the previous fish I had even though I completely bleached them out and rinsed them...but I will find out more tonight when I do a water test. I sure hope that it isn't parasites...

Archived