Garlic As Food ?

alanworm

if you've got fresh, you can always just crush the clove and get some of the garlic juice onto a small piece of bread, fresh is best, the stuff that's been preserved/cooked loses some of its goodness.

oranges are good, lots of vit C is good for goldies too. sprouted alfalpha is nutrient dense too.

I read somewhere that garlic is good to kill parasites so I fed some minced garlic from a jar to my tropicals. Most of them ate it but it left a terrible smell in the tank!! Couldn't wait to get it cleaned out--phew. Now I just feed Jungle Anti-parasite food with prazi if needed.

I read somewhere that garlic is good to kill parasites so I fed some minced garlic from a jar to my tropicals. Most of them ate it but it left a terrible smell in the tank!! Couldn't wait to get it cleaned out--phew. Now I just feed Jungle Anti-parasite food with prazi if needed.

I would bet the problem was caused by the oil (in which minced garlic is usually packed) leaching into and remaining in the water.

I suspect there would be much less of that if the garlic was freshly cut up on some paper toweling to absorb whatever fluid was released by the cutting process.

Oliver

There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that garlic has immuno-booster properties. I have dosed my fish by crushing a clove into a smal amount of tank water and soaking the pellets in it. I use just enough that the food will completely absorb the fluid.

There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that garlic has immuno-booster properties. I have dosed my fish by crushing a clove into a smal amount of tank water and soaking the pellets in it. I use just enough that the food will completely absorb the fluid.

I've done that with medi gold when one of my goldies was sick and wouldn't eat, she gobbled it right up after the garlic soak.

so we shouldn't cook it ... i find even if i grind it .. they spit out the harder part of the garlic and its so fine its hard to clean ... but if we soften it up will it loose its nutrients??? or can i just squeez the juice in the tank ?

i was thinking bread is a good idea but .. i heard people said not to feed bread to goldfish !

I left a reply in your other thread, but I'll reiterate it here on the off chance that someone else reads this thread without any follow up... you shouldn't feed your goldies LOTS of bread, when I meant to feed your fish bread, i just meant a tiny little bit to use as a vessel to get the nutrients and goodies of the garlic into your fish, I would definitely suggest that one avoid feeding plain bread on a regular basis, goldfish have difficulty digestion lots of carbos and bread is not particularly nutrient dense, so kind of pointless feeding it on its own. :unsure: hope this clears things up..

• 3 weeks later...