Why Do All Our Fry Die?!

Guest JenP1981

Guest JenP1981

Hi,

I'm looking for some help with keeping fry alive. We have two fantails (one boy one girl) and a black moor (girl) and at the moment they just keep producing eggs every couple of weeks.

So far, each time we've taken the eggs out into a separate tank with some of the water from the main tank and we've always had fry hatched but they never get to the point of swimming, they just sink to the bottom and never come back up. We've been trying to do daily water changes of about 25% to keep it clean in there and we've tried putting in the Liquifry baby food. We hadn't been using a heater, should I take it from other messages on here that we really should be? And are we disturbing them too much by changing the water every day?

Any suggestions as to where we're going wrong would be brilliant!!!

Thanks

Jen

I'm so sorry they keep dieing. There is no need to change any water at the beginning with fry because they produce next to zero ammonia during those first few days. The temperature is best warm but fry hatch in colder temps too.

The fact the eggs are hatching is good, well done, now its a question of trying to keep their environment stable. Check pH and temps dont fluctuate-thats important.

Dont feed until they are free swimming which is 2 or 3 days after climbing to the top to fill their airsacs- thats easiest done in lower water of 5 or 6 inches- and when you do start feeding use a turkey baster to remove old food and gently add back water to the top in a tiny dolls cup size cup or something similar. Any splash, swirl or current at all can kill fry or deform their backs.

Guest JenP1981

Thanks! I think we must have been disturbing them too much. Is it better to use fresh water rather than moving the egga across with water from the main tank then?

If you have excellent water in your main tank (nitrates at or under 5-12) and of course zero ammonia and nitrites then its okay to use tank water but treated/Primed fresh new water is good too. Just watch out for pH stability and make sure you seed the sponge filter.