How Do You Keep A Red Cap White On The Body?

alanworm

I have many experience where my oranda that is white/orange or red cap when i first got them they have this beautiful white and red/orange but after a couple of months they turn into this yellowish colour on the fins and body. How can i keep them white?

I feed them hikari lionhead, cucumber, krills, nutrafin...

I have many experience where my oranda that is white/orange or red cap when i first got them they have this beautiful white and red/orange but after a couple of months they turn into this yellowish colour on the fins and body. How can i keep them white?

Im not to sure on this but Ive had white(very white).. fantails that would turn yellow.. She was even in the pond.. I would have to say genetics but i will be excited to see what others say?.. Do you have a pic? I just LUV orandas! :)

I have the same problem. I have a beautiful white fantail with red spots. When she was in a planted tank (which she ate)...her head and fins turned yellow. When I took out the plants...back to clear white. When I feed peas or spirilla to much...same yellowing.

I feed sinking food with no color inhancers....then my gold goldfish aren't as brilliant, but she is back to clear white.

I also have compact flourecent lights...I've read here that may also cause the color inhancement (yellowing). :)

I have problems the other way around - the red starts to "bleed" onto the head and into the body - not where I want it to be in a redcap. I don't have the issue with the body turning yellowish, but it does remind me of the albino telescopes. They also start out with a whitish body, and with age that white turns more into a pale yellow.

good to hear everyone one else have had that experience ... *in a way*.... i thought only my red cap had that .... i even thought it was some kind of disease too !!! but now its a kind of relieve !!! phew !!! i guess there isn't any way to help it ?? and how do you keep the black colour fish more black??? my black w/orange wen oranda .. his stomach is turning a bit bronze .. if u can see in my picture ... how should i maintain his color ?? or to get him darker???

Black fish more black? Now, well, that opens the book for endless suggestions, and most of them with less than desired results. Some suggest more natural light, higher pH, certain foods, etc. but the truth is that black is one of the least stable colors. And even an older black fish can "decide" to change, and you aren't always safe to buy a bigger fish in hopes that it'll last.

Only exception - black moors. It is very likely that it'll stay black.

You need to improve the water condition in your tank and also your goldfish needs plenty of sunlight.

Black fish more black? Now, well, that opens the book for endless suggestions, and most of them with less than desired results. Some suggest more natural light, higher pH, certain foods, etc. but the truth is that black is one of the least stable colors. And even an older black fish can "decide" to change, and you aren't always safe to buy a bigger fish in hopes that it'll last.

Only exception - black moors. It is very likely that it'll stay black.

Pristine water condition and plenty of sunlight is your answer to blackies keeping their black.

Often white fish don't stay white. Pearl one of my foot long fancies who died recently was one of the fish that did stay pure white, every pure white fish I've bought since has either turned a yellow/gold colour or gotten red patches within a few months...

so black fish gotta give them a tan? hahaha... the only thing is my tank is not close to sunlight that is because to avoid algae bloom..i guess the white can't be fixed..its all about genetics... my water condition should be pretty good ... speaking of water condition.. if u don't mind me go off topic for a bit... i live in vancouver and the weather here is about 8 degrees ..the water in the tap is about ... 0 degrees or lower (even if i am leaving it in room temperature for 2 days the water is still too cold)... i have been using hot water to balance out the temperature so then i won't shock the fish... i use prime or nutrafin water conditioner plus... i've seen people say hot water might have unwanted copper in it .. will prime get rid of copper??

Stop feeding the Hikari lionhead... most of the Hikari foods are loaded with color enhancers to bring out the reds/yellows in goldfish. I only feed Progold, spirulina and Omega One dry foods as those are some of the few I've been able to find with no artificial color enhancers. Avoid carrots also and anything with carotene.

As for the hot water, the reasoning behind that is that hot water sits in your water heater for an extended time and can have nasty things leach into it. I rarely use hot water. Prime should get rid of any metals in the water, but just use cold tap water, and add it slowly. Depending on how large your tank is you may be able to just put it in.

As for the hot water, the reasoning behind that is that hot water sits in your water heater for an extended time and can have nasty things leach into it. I rarely use hot water.

Nasties, like what kind? I've switched it up a few times. Went from using only cold, to only hot, back to only cold again. Keeping with the cold now, since I am trying to keep my tanks on the cooler side. Would a UV get rid of those nasties?

White turning yellow? I haven't seen that. I'd love to see pictures! :exactly

Orange seems to be the most dominating color in a goldfish. When there is a "flaw" and there is a color change, it's usually orange or yellowish orange.

On my fish, orange has turned to white, and red has turned to orange. I'd love to have a red/black or red/white fish, but would be afraid it'd end up all orange or all white. The only yellowing I have, flawing as you call it, is on Lola's underbelly.