To Much Egg

sle586

Better out than in. Really can be more of a health problem if the eggs remain inside and are re-absorbed.

You can try turning the temp down slowly if you have a heater. If not, I suggest you cut back on feeding. Heavy feeding encourages egg dropping.

Sle, if it gets so bad that the female gets exhausted and starts to hide, or is visibly injured, or pushed around really hard, I would just take her out, of if you don't have another tank, look into buying a tank divider. Even if the female seems uninjured, spawning can cause internal injuries, and we don't want that. With prolonged chasing like that I would definetely give the poor girl a break. :)

Today I just got home from work and found some eggs on the rock still with black dots in it i put a divider in between all the fish and the eggs. Moved the filters to the other side of the divider will that be okay when the egg spawns. And how long does it take for them to hatch.

In goldfish discussions - a title - "Moved: Spawning Video" was placed the other day - you may wish to look at how much a female will tollerate. If you watch closely; Thurston is being gentle - but for many owners this may not be the case. within hours of this video - she laid a large amount. It is important, however - you will see in the video - that they have plants and structures to hide in when they want to get away from their partner. Before going to the video - I placed a preeamble. Note - as well - size does not alweays indicate pregnancy.

Congratulations Sle on your fertile eggs :D How exciting for you. In answer to the temp Q -it depends on temperature. At high temps above 70 eggs will hatch in about 3 days. In lower temps below 70 they can take 5 days and up to a week.

I don't think the divider is the best solution for your eggs/fry. A very gently powered sponge filter is recommended for fry because they are apt to get bent/deformed in any current. Many people advocate no filter for the first week or two to lower deaths caused by spinal deformity due to current suction/movement.

Also, fry need low water. They have to climb to the surface to fill their swim bladder before they are able to swim so only 5 or 6 inches of warm water is recommended.

Ammonia in any amount and nitrates over 10 can be very dangerous to fragile fry. It is extrememly hard to keep nitrates at asafe level for fry with out doing water changes which are not recommended for the first few weeks of fry raising.

At this point you may damage the eggs by moving them. I suggest the eggs stuck to rocks or ornaments are moved to a seeded alternative heated tank. If you cannot move the eggs safely- you may have to wait until the fry emerge (very soon I think) and carefully capture them and relocate them once they are free swimming (around day 2 after consuming their egg sac).

Heres a link that takes you through the first 2 weeks of hatching out/raising fry in detail.

I'm very excited to see them fertile. I left the eggs in the 120 gallon tank and I'm waiting for them to hatch then move them. I moved all the filters to the other side of the tank and trying to find a big enough divider to keep the goldies from eatting the fry when they hatch. I'd say about another day or so its gonna hatch can't wait. :D Trying to set up a 17 gallon I had put away but with 6" of water is the filter gonna do alright it in?

What kind of filter do you have? If you dont have a sponge filter they are not difficult to make and seed by soaking in dirty tank water or if you have avery low powered filter you can wrap stocking hose around the whole thing right to the top and tie it securely. You dont really need any filter for the first week or so.

Make sure you adjust the heat perfectly . I'm excited for you!

Edited by Trinket

Just a short sock type stocking hose will do (as a guy- good luck buying that "for your Mom or girl!" :D ) and you'll need to soak it and the filter cartridge in used tank water from the tank they are in for five minutes or so. Tie it way high above the water level. Fry get stuck everywhere and anywhere so keep it smooth as you can manage.

You can also squeeze a piece of floss/ sponge media from the main tank's filterbox directly into the new fry tanks water and swill it around. That should help "seed" (make settle and grow) some of the good de-nitrifying bacteria making it a safer place for the fry to start out.

Whoa got home and all the black eggs was gone thought my goldies ate them. Then I saw Little fries swimming around :D so I got a cup and scooped them up before the bigger ones saw them. Manage to get about 15 of them out into my 17 gallon filled halfway. :happydance If i can't find any brine shrimp aroun what type of baby food should I get?

BANANA flavor??? What the heck kind of food is that :D I've never heard of that!!!! I dont think they should have sweet food hun. And definitely not human baby food. You have to feed them protein and vegetable based fry food. I started mine out with frozen babybrine shrimp - freshly hatched is better. The smell stimulates their senses and its excellent first nutrition.

You dont have to feed until they are free swimming (about day 2 after hatching). Can you get some baby brine shrimp??

If not boiled egg is possible but it makes a terrible mess. You'll need a turkey baster or syringe to remove any and all leftover food.