Sign in to follow this  
thekatiedid

Transporting Goldfish On Holiday?

Hey everyone - first of all, I wanted to thank everyone for the "pea" trick in helping my fantail with his swim bladder! It worked out so well, and I'm so pleased to not have him be wobbly and unhappy anymore.

I am a college student with a 10 gallon tank on my desk - I have a 2.5 gallon tank that I originally bought, before I knew of the dangers of nitrates and toxins (the pet store was no help, either). Nonetheless, I am flying home for Thanksgiving and cannot take them with me, and was planning on sending them home with a friend who drives home about two hours. Could the two (fantails about just under two inches in body) survive in the 2.5 gallon tank with fresh water just for the week? Would transporting them in the car be dangerous?

I'd love to hear thoughts.. I don't have that many options (they lock my building during the break, and the people staying on campus aren't ones I know very well).

Thanks so much!

The fish can be fine driving for the 2+ hours to your friend's house. For a week, they can also be ok, if your friend can be counted upon to do a few things for them.

1. Do not have your friend feed the fish regularly. This means NO food. Your fish are really too small to fast for a full week - they would survive, but it would be nicer to give them something, though. SO - for one week, give your friend the amount of food your fish would normally eat in ONE DAY. Have him feed them midweek.

2. Your friend will also need to do water changes. This means your friend will need you to walk him through exactly what to do - step by step. Give your friend a bottle of dechlorinator and show him exactly how to use it.

3. I am assuming the fish will be without a filter for the week. They would really be helped by having an air stone in the tank, though. Can you send a small filter with your friend? Empty, completely, if you wish.

a. You could fill the filter with zeolite - a good sized bag of zeolite (ammo-chips) can control the ammonia in a tank for a few days. Your friend will still need to do water changes - but changing out the zeolite and/or soaking it in salt water will remove 95% of the ammonia in the water.

b. You could bag up your cycled media from your filter. If you have an air stone working in the small volume, place the bag of seasoned media over the airstone such that the bubbles of air pass up through the media. This is a makeshift filter - it will process a small amount of ammonia - and if the fish are not fed (much), it should process a fair amount of ammonia for you - keeping the water more healthy.

4. 2.5 gallons is really a scary small size - could your friend deal with a 5 gallon bucket or a rubbermaid type box/tub for a week? Having a greater volume will mean much less care and worry for you and your friend.....

With daily water changes (100% in a 2.5 with zeolite/bubblerfilter and no food) 2.5 gallons will probably support your fish for a week. If anything goes wrong, though, it will go wrong hard and fast...... bigger is always better for it gives you/your friend a buffer zone.

With a bit of planning and some care, your fish should be fine - and actually good house guests for Thanksgiving for your friend. :)

Could the two (fantails about just under two inches in body) survive in the 2.5 gallon tank with fresh water just for the week?

How many days exactly will you be gone? If less than 5, I'd leave them on campus. They'll be fine fasting, if you feed them well before you go. I'd be worried about trusting someone to do water changes (which would be dire) in that tiny tank, that isn't used to doing them already. You'de have to really trust that friend of yours.

I leave my Betta in my office over the weekends, sometimes 3 days if a long weekend, and he fares just fine fasting.

OK, this is quite off topic, but just wondering, lolofish, what type of oranda is the one in your pic on the far right on the top row? Its nice :D

That is a red-cap Oranda....known for the "high hat" style of wen that all red on a snow white fish. Pretty!!!!

Hi there,

She's a bio major, and actually helped recognize my fish's swim bladder hardships! Scarily speaking.. I actually had them in that tiny tiny tank until I learned how ridiculous it was for fantails to be in something that small (I'm a new fantail owner - I had no idea where to start, and was definitely misguided by the pet store). I'll send her with little food.. and the tank does have a filter (it's one of those desktop "MiniBow" tanks). I'll see what she says about the water changes.. if she doesn't know how to do it, I'll teach her.

I'll be gone from Saturday to Saturday - that's a bit too long I think to fast them.

I'll be gone from Saturday to Saturday - that's a bit too long I think to fast them.

The other day, when visiting vvvv,I saw what looked like a fake clam shell in several of their goldfish tanks. The fish were actively nibbling at the material in the shell. When I asked what they were, the storeperson said that it was special fishfoof which had been molded into the shell that allowed for timed release (softening?) of the food. One was supposed to put one or more (depending on # of fish and away time) in the tank to feed the fish while the owner was away.

Just a thought.

Oliver

The other day, when visiting vvvv,I saw what looked like a fake clam shell in several of their goldfish tanks. The fish were actively nibbling at the material in the shell. When I asked what they were, the storeperson said that it was special fishfoof which had been molded into the shell that allowed for timed release (softening?) of the food. One was supposed to put one or more (depending on # of fish and away time) in the tank to feed the fish while the owner was away.

Just a thought.

Oliver

I wouldn't chance one of those "feeder blocks" in my tank. I did that once and nearly lost every one of my fish. Had I come home an hour or two later, they would have all been dead, I believe. I'd rather chance fasting my fish for a week than to possibly poison them with one of those feeder blocks.

Do you have a good source of algae in your tank? Your fish may be able to get by just by picking at the algae for the week.

I used to use feeding blocks all the time when we went away and never had a problem although I still would not recommend them. My friend once took care of the school fish and theyw ere too lazy to feed it (a chinese algae eater) so they gave it one of the feeding blocks every couple of days and never cleaned the tank I dont think, ofcourse it died, then I took care of the fish and they're mine now, I rescued them

Just a thought...would your current filter work on a rubbermaid tub?...You could transport the gravel and little water in the tub. Gold fish in bags. Set up tub at new location. This way you won't lose your current tanks good bacteria.