Eggs Have Been Dropped!

Kasper

I was just at my fish tank last night, taking out one of the pregnant platys to give birth and I notice these white little balls all over my tank! I flipped out, I thought it was Ick! Turns out my Little Frida Khalo has just popped! I HAVE GOLDFISH EGGS! I have NO idea how long they have been in there, if they are even fertalized but I did notice that Sketti (my black moor) has his breeding stars practicaly BURSTING from his gills and fins!

I took out the rocks and plants they were attached to, filled up a 5 gallon hex tank with tank water and added a heater. Im working on a filter soon but I just don't have one and I won't get paid till the 15th. The ones on my 60gal are just to big to put on this little tank. I hope they don't need immediate filtration!

They are going to be Gold Fantail / Moor Mixes! HOW CUTE! I hope they are fertile.

I have no Idea what Im doing so any advice is welcome. I posted this same thread on Pet Brigade because my Dial up would not let me into Koko's! I did some research on fry and I'm hopeing that Ill be a good Gamma!

w00t IM gonna be a Gamma x1000! (Well definately one if any survive my ignorance)

*Happy Dance* :krazy::D:krazy::newfish:whatjust::nana

Yesum I read the thread about fry! I've allready got some brine shrimp, Ill have egg yolk, a better heater and the filter will be hooked up on monday! W00t! Ill be setting up my 20gallon tank over the next week. I figure by the time it goes through the fishless cycle the surviving fry will be ok to go into that tank!

THEY ARE FERTILE!!!!!

I was looking closely at them last night and some have little black dots connected to what appears to be eyelashes in the eggs! Apparently Those are my Fry! I went around and removed all the unfertile ones so that they don't kill the live ones! Im super excited! Frida and Sketti got a treat of bloodworms and peas last night!

Apparently (according to the LFS Fish Guy) Two goldfish breeding in a community tank is fairly rare. He has tried unsuccsessfully to breed his goldfish over the years with no babies. I trust him because everything he talks about is exactly the same thing everyone says on here, a Chain Pet Store employee that knows something about fish, FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!!! Has anyone else had problems breeding their fish, and if so how the heck did I manage it?

I will keep you all posted, I have no pictures yet, the camera will not focus on the small eggs. I need a better camera.

So the babies have started hatching and I have a question, when they hatch are they supposed to swim for a second and then fall lifeless to the bottom, only to lie there and then get back up and try again? I drained a bit of the water out, thinking that maybe it was to deep, but they keep doing it. I can't find information on that anywhere.

Oh and my Platy dispensed 50 some odd babies into my breeder net the other day!

Its just fish madness at my house!

Kasper, congratulations!! You officially wear the title "Gramma" now... :D

It is perfectly normal for day old fry to just drop and not move much. Some of them will hang on the glass, on the bottom of the tank. They aren't swimming much - for now they are just absorbing whats left from their eggs. There is a little egg sac attached to their bellies, and that will be gone in a couple of days. That is when they start swimming, looking for their first meal. There is no use feeding them as long as they aren't swimming actively -it will only foul the water.

And you don't need a filter in the sense of a full blown filter system at the moment either. It is way too strong, will only suck up the swimming fry, and the outflow will push them around too much. I'd go and check out the store for a simple sponge filter - its nothing but a piece of sponge attached to a plastic pipe, and that pipe goes into the flexible tubing of an airpump. The airpump will drive the sponge filter, and give off air at the same moment. Not too much, only a few bubbles a second. Its mostly a biological filtration, that sponge - and somewhat mechanical, since through the flow of the air through the pipe there will be waste collected under the sponge.

Just let the dry sponge soak in a bucket where you washed out any filter media before, and let it soak up "the good stuff" = instant sponge filter cycling.

Definetely keep us posted on the little ones!

They are so cute! Tomorrow will be their first feeding, they are starting to swim all over the place! Im going to start with Egg Yolk, progressing to flake food, very finely powdered.

There needs to be a water change in there soon so Im taking some air filter hose and draining with that so as not to suck up any babies.

This is so exciting! I allready have a home for a couple! My friend in TX is going to take a couple when they get bigger! They will probably be big enough to travel when she comes back into town next July (she will be back before then but I don't think they will be ready.

Im setting up my 20 gallon this week and start to get the fishless cycle going. I think Im just going to take one of the sponges out of the filter on my big tank thats allready cycled and just put that in the filter to speed it up. Ill move my platy babies into it to get it going and when the goldie babies get big enough Ill add them to the tank too. A LFS is willing to buy my platy babies!

I live near St. Louis so if anyone here wants some baby goldies when they get big enough!!!

This is way to much fun! My boss and my mom think Im nuts because Im completely in love with my baby fishies! Well Poo to them! :D