Ranchu Breeding

Guest stars

Hello Experts,

I live in southern part of india. I am a goldfish hobbyist and more craze about ranchus. I have good varieties of goldfishes in my house. Many goldfishes used to breed naturally in our climatic conditions. I strictly follows the water paramters. I does 20% water change every day. I have a common question about goldfish breeding. In spite of great difficulty i hav imported a ranchu fish from china (Tunghoi,China). It is around 12 to 15 months old now. They looks very healthy and active. I hav 2 males and 3 females and the females looks very fat and i am sure that it is carying eggs but the males are not at all chasing what could be wrong with these set of fishes. Is that the fishes from Tunghoi (china) were steriled before sending to other countries? Please expereiced experts comments on this. Is there is any alternate ways to make my ranchus to lay eggs or mate. And also i need to know durng what ages these ranchus tend to mate or start to breed? Thank You in advance for your valuable suggestions.

Stars

Edited by stars

Hi Stars & welcome to koko's

There are many factors at play to make goldfish breed. Some of the variables are: change in water temperature, change in atmospheric pressure, seasons, mood of the fish, and etc etc.

Goldfish are suppose to have been able to spawn when they're 6 months old, but it varies also.

Before we go further, can you describe to us in detail the things below:

- How big is the tank/pond?

- What kind of filter have you got there?

- How many fish & how big? (nose to end of tail)

- What kind of food do you feed them?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

1. How big is the tank/pond?

Its a 3 feet by 15 by 15. I have concrete ponds also with 1 1/2 feet depth and 3 ft in length, do have tubs also of the same dimension.

2. What kind of filter have you got there?

I have kept air stone (rena)

3. How many fish & how big? (nose to end of tail)

4 Calico Ranchus, its 5 to 5 1/2 in inches from nose to tail

4. What kind of food do you feed them?

I used to feed live blood worms, frozen worms, pellets, greens

5. Used to make 20% of water changes once and twice sometimes

6. The same size chinese red color ranchus were bred successfully , but the hatchings are very poor only few were hatched.

7. Do these fishes from china or from this tunghu farm were steralized ?

Thank you again for your response.

Stars

Sounds like u got a big enough set up going on for breeding. Tung Hoi fishes are never sterilized, they're just as fertile as any other goldfish.

Have you got any water plants/breeding mop in the breeding tank/tub to induce spawning activity?

One thing you can try is to do a big water change up to 100%. That might encourage them to breed.

Have you got any water plants/breeding mop in the breeding tank/tub to induce spawning activity?

Yes. I do have water plant lik Foxtail.

One thing you can try is to do a big water change up to 100%. That might encourage them to breed.

I used to do 20% water changes everyday and sometimes i used to change the entire water itself, even then no results :-( .

I tried mixing my chinese and thai ranchus also still no positve spawning.

Any other ideas :-(

Thanks

Stars

Edited by stars

Hello, Stars, and welcome here at Kokos! :thumbs:

Sometimes it helps to separate the males and the females - have them housed in different containers or ponds, and fatten them up seperately. Then, when its time for breeding, put them together. That might work too. In fact, I have heard that from quite a few breeders who have done that for ages. I have the same problem this summer - except for my orandas, none of the other fish have spawned. When early spring comes around, I'll start separting them and see how that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry for the slow reply. I tried this also separated the male and female quite for sometime and put them together, but even then no sign of spawning. Any new ideas or technique to be followed. Its hight time for the female to be chased by the females. I am afraid that the ranchus i bought from the tung hoi farm from china is sterailed :-( . Why i am very particular about the batch is that they are in very good shape and got stunning colors and i am very eager to breed them here having bred many ranchus from singapore, thai, and malaysia.

Stars

One thing for certain is that I've never heard of any goldfish from any breeder/farm got sterilized, especially from Tung Hoi. I'm sure there'd be a huge uproar if Tung Hoi ever sterilize their fish because they're such a popular farm. Btw, how do u sterilize a fish, anyway? Never heard of it :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Stars - I am also from southern part on india and a Ranchu hobbyist. Can you reply to my email id please about your hobby details.

Thanks

Rajan

rajan.krishnan@gmail.com

Yes. I do have water plant lik Foxtail.

I used to do 20% water changes everyday and sometimes i used to change the entire water itself, even then no results :-( .

I tried mixing my chinese and thai ranchus also still no positve spawning.

Any other ideas :-(

Thanks

Stars

I have purchased a number of very nice Ranchu and Lionhead from Tunghoi - and have had success in breeding most.

Some fish simply do not spawn every year - even with perfect conditions and proper "stimulation" of food and temp and water. I have had breeders report that they have had fish that, for one reason or another do not spawn for years - and then, for no explainable reason, choose to do so. One particularly spectacular Bristol Shubunkin waited 7 years - and then rewarded her keeper with a wonderful set of fry - many of which became the show fish that mom was!

I would continue to try to feed heavily on the protien in the "fall", let the temps drop nicely, then warm up and see what happens. Separating male/female and then reintroducing them has worked for me - as has changing water just before a storm (air pressure changes). I have even had success in changing out water (70% or more) and then adding in a certain percentage of COOL water - enough to drop the water 1-2 degrees.

Having a large enough water volume, as well as plenty of spawning material (and it sounds like you have it!) should do the trick, eventually.