I Got An Apple Snail!

selena685

I went to the LFS today to get some fishy supplies and pay off some of my layby for my 4foot tank and saw that they had some apple snails, so I bought one.

He lives in my GF tank, but I had to put him in a breeding box as my GF were pecking at him :unsure:

He hasn't come out of his shell yet but I am hoping he will soon. He has some cooked peas waiting for him :)

Goodluck with your snail Selena, I had to take the dwarf gourami out of our office tank because it started nipping at the snails. Garion loves snails and the ones we have now are very healthy, they have doubled in size in the past month and are very active. Our snails enjoy cooked pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato, peas and zucchini and they love the sinking shrimp pellets.

I'd be pretty wary of snails with goldies. I breed brigs, haustrums, spixies and saltons and even in my 150 gallon the goldfish will stick pick at and knock snails off the glass. Goldies will pick at snails relentlessly, the result is usually the snail locks up tight and starves to death. Yours of course may be well mannered goldfish and not the little heathens that I have. :o:rofl

Edited by Katalyst

I would prefer to keep apple snails on their own, but I have too many tanks going at the moment (or so my husband says :rolleyes: ) I will keep an eye on him and if he's getting bashed around, I'll organize alternative accommodation for him.

I like keeping apple snails on there own as they tend to move around a lot more and are more fun to watch

:) Hey Selena,congrats on your snail.He's a real pretty yellow/gold.

I too have kept snails for years,and to be honest,I try like heck not to add them to the Goldie tanks if I can help it. The goldfish will check them out occasionally,but usually if they're bigger than their mouth,most times they will eventually leave them alone. :rolleyes: My biggest problem in goldy tanks was the fact that its very hard to keep them well fed with piggy goldfish around,and the fact that I have super strong filters was another problem for the smaller snails,no matter what I tried.If you dont mind isolating to feed,then I'm sure that he'll do okay in there with his fishy buddies.

After I lost Chewy,I just started keeping only the Spixies,which don't get near as big as the other types I kept.

They are actually in goldy tanks right now,and doing pretty well,as the fish are all pretty small.Good luck and keep us updated. :exactly

Guest Outbackhill

It must depend on the fish then...

As we've always kept apple snails with our goldies and have never experienced a problem. At most the occasional goldfish with knock one off the side of the glass, but nothing serious. We have around twenty to thirty apple snails in the 180 gallon with the larger goldfish, and never thought anything of it. The only problem I've had with keeping snails is that sometimes we like to add salt to the entire tank if there's the start of the problem.. And if you have snails you can't. There's a guy near us that has a quaint personal little store that is full of apple snails in everytank. He was the one that got us into them and we've had no problem yet.

I think the main problem with apple snails in goldie tanks is bioload; they're such a messy species that you need about 2.5g per snail or some pretty darned massive filtration. Since goldies are also high waste, and many goldfish tanks are best UNDER stocked, a large population of apple snails in a goldfish tank can lead to a decline in water quality pretty quickly. They're a lovely species though, a lot of fun to observe. Congrats on the new addition!

Edited by Ren

My snail is going strong so far, and my goldies leave him alone. Feeding him in a floating breeding box every couple of days is going well. :)

I think the main problem with apple snails in goldie tanks is bioload; they're such a messy species that you need about 2.5g per snail or some pretty darned massive filtration. Since goldies are also high waste, and many goldfish tanks are best UNDER stocked, a large population of apple snails in a goldfish tank can lead to a decline in water quality pretty quickly.

:exactly Yes snails are pretty messy, but I have adequate filtration in my tank, plus 50% water changes every week